Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Contact Lenses and the cold

Contact Lenses and the cold

Old Jan 15th 2017, 3:16 pm
Just Joined

GingerTea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Contact Lenses and the cold

Hardly a show stopper and a bit of a first world problem .. but are there any contact lens wearers like me who find that in cold weather their lenses water a lot and seem to almost freeze on the eye? I even get this problem here in the UK when the temperature hovers around zero. I've tried wearing sun glasses (when it's sunny!!) and that doesn't seem to help and neither do off the shelf eye drops. Any tips welcome and to maintain wearing lenses over switching to glasses.
Old Jan 15th 2017, 6:03 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Contact Lenses and the cold

I find mine dry out and my eyes water more. I use drops to lubricates them more and blink more. They can be harder to get out. I also changed from regular cheap ones to the more expensive (Oasys sp? Moist). I don't tend to leave them in for as long most days either.
Old Jan 16th 2017, 2:18 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

I did find that my contact lenses were less comfortable once I moved to Canada. The air is dryer and colder and holds less moisture. Everything dries out. Not helped by the fact that i had to switch to Torics , which are thicker as well.

I bit the bullet and went for LASIK last year. Worked a treat for me
Old Jan 16th 2017, 6:32 pm
Just Joined

Many thanks Piff Poff.
Old Jan 16th 2017, 6:33 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Zoe, will look into options once we land!