Consent to fly

Old Nov 27th 2008, 1:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Purley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond repute
Default Consent to fly

I am taking my granddaughter to England next Easter. At that time she will be 15 --- 16 in July 2009. Anyone know if I still have to get consent of her Mom and Dad? Do I have to get the consent notarized?

I suppose the purpose of that is to stop me kidnapping her. However, it will probably not come as much surprise to anyone that the chances of my forcing a 16 year old to go anywhere she didn't want to go would be slim to none!
Old Nov 27th 2008, 2:33 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Consent to fly

Originally Posted by Purley
I am taking my granddaughter to England next Easter. At that time she will be 15 --- 16 in July 2009. Anyone know if I still have to get consent of her Mom and Dad? Do I have to get the consent notarized?

I suppose the purpose of that is to stop me kidnapping her. However, it will probably not come as much surprise to anyone that the chances of my forcing a 16 year old to go anywhere she didn't want to go would be slim to none!
You may or may not need it, for the sake of a short letter is probably worth having it with you. Notarized is not usually necessary. More often than not the questions are asked on entering Canada rather than leaving.
Old Nov 27th 2008, 3:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Purley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks. I can see the sense in a younger child, but not with a teenager, however, its better to be safe than sorry.
Old Nov 27th 2008, 3:16 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

When my Stepson was over visiting last year, we took him to Montana. We knew we were going to do this so got his Mum to do the necessary letter. We weren't asked for the letter at all - but both border crossings asked him where he was going, who with, did his Mum know etc. etc. He was 16.
Old Nov 27th 2008, 3:31 am
BE Forum Addict

burton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks. I can see the sense in a younger child, but not with a teenager, however, its better to be safe than sorry.
Hi Purley

When I came over here last year (remember Phil was already working out here) I was on my own and I was advised to carry a letter signed by Phil saying that I was allowed to take my kids out of the UK to canada.

Like someone else said I wasnt asked for it but i was told to have it just in case.

gaynor
Old Nov 27th 2008, 10:02 am
BE Forum Addict

destinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder if the reason that you both were not asked for the letter is that the childs was actually travelling with a parent.

I would imagine that they would be more thorough if it were another relative or a friend.
Old Nov 27th 2008, 1:55 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by destinationnovascotia
I wonder if the reason that you both were not asked for the letter is that the childs was actually travelling with a parent.

I would imagine that they would be more thorough if it were another relative or a friend.
We figured that as I am Mrs Piff, Hubby is Mr Piff and stepson is Master Piff - i.e. all with the same surname, they assumed I was Mum, if you know what I mean. The big question was how comes these have PR and you don't?
Old Nov 27th 2008, 4:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by destinationnovascotia

I was asked for the letter coming into Canada, with my two kids as my husband wasn't traveling with us. (My two were much younger than Purley's granddaughter though).

The border guard advised me that I should have a signed letter form my husband, not notarized but preferably printed on a photocopy of his passport. We had this the next time we arrived and did need it.

I would suggest to anyone traveling into Canada with minors (and without both parents) to have a parental consent letter with you just in case.
Old Nov 27th 2008, 9:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by The Aviator
You may or may not need it, for the sake of a short letter is probably worth having it with you. Notarized is not usually necessary. More often than not the questions are asked on entering Canada rather than leaving.
I have heard that before. I find that rather ridiculous. I thought the purpose of this was to stop an adult kidnapping a child and taking them out of the country. If that is the case, then what possible use would it be to ask for the consent when you COME BACK! Surely the whole point of kidnapping is that you take them OUT of the country and don't bring them back again.

Or have I missed the point of getting consent in the first place?
Old Nov 27th 2008, 9:25 pm
Pictou County Superstarâ„¢

Greenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond repute

Lots of relevant information here: http://www.voyage.gc.ca/main/before/..._travel-en.asp (which also states "Generally, persons younger than 18 years of age could be considered children.")

They also have a sample consent letter (in various formats) here: http://www.voyage.gc.ca/main/before/..._letter-en.asp

Old Nov 27th 2008, 10:43 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Greenhill
Lots of relevant information here: http://www.voyage.gc.ca/main/before/..._travel-en.asp (which also states "Generally, persons younger than 18 years of age could be considered children.")
That may be a Canadian point of view, but in many countries, including the United Kingdom, those aged 16 or over generally will not be considered "children" for this purpose.

The relevant international convention only operates up to age 16, for this reason.
Old Nov 27th 2008, 11:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Well, I have to say that my granddaughter would be furious if anyone suggested she was a "child". I can see that perhaps an English 15/16 year old in school uniform, might look like a child. But a Canadian teenager of similar age -- not likely!!

At my granddaughter's Grade 8 grad, there were girls dressed up to the nines and I bet at least one of them could have got away with saying she was 18 - when she was probably 13 at the time!
Old Nov 28th 2008, 12:08 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

I have heard that before. I find that rather ridiculous. I thought the purpose of this was to stop an adult kidnapping a child and taking them out of the country. If that is the case, then what possible use would it be to ask for the consent when you COME BACK! Surely the whole point of kidnapping is that you take them OUT of the country and don't bring them back again.

Or have I missed the point of getting consent in the first place?
I am with you on this it makes no sense. I've had a flight out of Pearson delayed because the parent did not have consent letter for their child and their bags had been loaded (had the same problem on a flight out of Sydney as well) They were eventually let through.

We need to do what we can to reduce or child trafficking and abduction, a letter of consent is a small price to pay. I can never understand the rationale of people who make a fuss about it, is it really such a big deal to help ensure the safety of children. A bit like those that complain about security at the airport. Better to get there late than not get there. Neither system is foolproof, but they have both had their successes.
Old Nov 28th 2008, 2:25 am
BE Forum Addict

destinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond repute

Well, I have to say that my granddaughter would be furious if anyone suggested she was a "child". I can see that perhaps an English 15/16 year old in school uniform, might look like a child. But a Canadian teenager of similar age -- not likely!!

At my granddaughter's Grade 8 grad, there were girls dressed up to the nines and I bet at least one of them could have got away with saying she was 18 - when she was probably 13 at the time!
An English 15/16 year old travelling on a plane with family or friends would likely be dressed much as a Canadian teenager, and the reaction to being called a child would undoubtedly be similar.

Suprisingly enough, not many UK teens travel in their school uniform so a border guard would be hard pressed to tell them froma Canadian unless he heard their accent or looked at their passport.

It is a sad fact of life that many 13 year olds can pass for 18. Personally, I do not encourage my kids to dress beyond their age. It's just asking for trouble.

As far as your original question goes. I would not consider taking even my own kids without a letter of consent let alone someone elses children. As it is such a simple thing to write such a letter it is really not worth taking the risk. Just get the letter.
Old Nov 28th 2008, 4:04 am
Banned

startwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond repute

Surely it's just common sense to get a consent letter from the parents if they are not travelling with the child (whether she thinks she's a child or not, she's a minor). Not sure whether it needs to be notarized or not, but why not do it to be on the safe side, it doesn't cost much.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.