Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Come fly with me - First Flight

Come fly with me - First Flight

Old Apr 29th 2009, 12:45 pm
Analyst for hire

Ben W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond repute
Default Come fly with me - First Flight

So last night I had my first flight on my Private Pilot's Licence training. First time I've had my hands on the controls of a plane. I took off, flew around Scarborough Bluffs a few times, flew around the CN Tower and downtown, then the instructor landed.

Learning to fly is something I've always wanted to do, but the price in the UK was always hideously prohibitive. Here it's about 1/3 to 1/2 the price. And living 10 minutes walk from the island airport helps as well. So just posting this as a dream I'm managing to realise because I'm in Canada.
Old Apr 29th 2009, 12:54 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Come fly with me - First Flight

Originally Posted by Ben W Bell
So last night I had my first flight on my Private Pilot's Licence training. First time I've had my hands on the controls of a plane. I took off, flew around Scarborough Bluffs a few times, flew around the CN Tower and downtown, then the instructor landed.

Learning to fly is something I've always wanted to do, but the price in the UK was always hideously prohibitive. Here it's about 1/3 to 1/2 the price. And living 10 minutes walk from the island airport helps as well. So just posting this as a dream I'm managing to realise because I'm in Canada.
Niiiice. I'm going to do the same as you. I'm waiting until we move to Canada before i set off on my PPL voyage due to cost and the fact that i didn't want to leave 3/4 way through my training here.

I'm jealous
Old Apr 29th 2009, 1:25 pm
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the wonderful world of flying. It was the first thing I did when I got here. I have been a pilot since 1970. In those days it cost me $400 to get my license ! At the moment I am fortunate enough to be able to jockey a Beech Baron 78 for a good friend of mine. In the winter I can fly any day in Arizona. Never any weather issues. Enjoy yourself but remember that there are bold fliers and there are old fliers but there aren't too many old bold fliers !! One my wall here I have a saying.

"Aviation in itself is not inherently dangerous, but to an even greater degree than the sea it is terribly unforgiving of any carelessness, incapacity or neglect"

Flying is easy when everything goes right. It's when things go wrong that the skill bit kicks in.
Old Apr 29th 2009, 2:02 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

congrats on realising a dream
Old Apr 29th 2009, 2:13 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

What type or aircraft did you use for your first lesson, by the way?
Old Apr 29th 2009, 2:20 pm
Analyst for hire

Ben W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond repute

Cessna 172R. It was a bit gusty yesterday, the remains of the heavy rain we had in the morning so there was a fair bit of turbulence. But still, undaunted here I come. Ground school starts next week, then I need to book some more proper lessons. That's 24 minutes flight time in my log book. Just a whole load to go.
Old Apr 29th 2009, 2:24 pm
Beep

Sweet. Well good luck with it all, and enjoy the ride
Old Apr 29th 2009, 2:48 pm
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute

Cessna 172R. It was a bit gusty yesterday, the remains of the heavy rain we had in the morning so there was a fair bit of turbulence. But still, undaunted here I come. Ground school starts next week, then I need to book some more proper lessons. That's 24 minutes flight time in my log book. Just a whole load to go.
Don't fret about ground school. It isn't too difficult. Most people find the hardest parts are meteorology and navigation. You will have the fun of learning to navigate using a "Whiz wheel". It's what they call the steam driven E6 Universal Flight Computer. Ah, fond memories. Above all, enjoy the ride. Never, ever skimp on your pre-flight check list even though you think you know it off by heart. Follow the book ! Have fun and happy landings.
Old Apr 29th 2009, 3:55 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Simon Legree
You will have the fun of learning to navigate using a "Whiz wheel". It's what they call the steam driven E6 Universal Flight Computer.
First off congrats to the OP for realising a dream.

Simon you have just triggered a memory from many years ago, I remember learning to use one of these in my early days in ATC.

I think I might still have it somewhere in the house.

Old Apr 29th 2009, 4:07 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Steve_P
First off congrats to the OP for realising a dream.

Simon you have just triggered a memory from many years ago, I remember learning to use one of these in my early days in ATC.

I think I might still have it somewhere in the house.

http://www.stefanv.com/aviation/flight_computers/cr.jpg
What in the name of buggery is that?
Old Apr 29th 2009, 4:16 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Souvenir
What in the name of buggery is that?
It's a Jeppesen Model CR-3 Flight computer.

Can be used for calculating:

Time-speed -distance
Fuel consumption
Temperature conversions
Weight of fuel and oil
Density Altitude
True Altitude
True airspeed
Mach number
plus a number of other calculations.

Plus a whole bunch of navigation stuff that I didn't have to learn, that's on the other side.

Don't have a clue how do anything with one these days though.
Old Apr 29th 2009, 4:28 pm

Time-speed -distance
Fuel consumption
Temperature conversions
Weight of fuel and oil
Density Altitude
True Altitude
True airspeed
Mach number

Plus a whole bunch of navigation stuff that I didn't have to learn, that's on the other side.

Blimey. I thought my carpentry protractor was complicated......

I have to use my wife's specs to read it (wrong thread, I know).
Old Apr 29th 2009, 4:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

clynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to behold

Time-speed -distance
Fuel consumption
Temperature conversions
Weight of fuel and oil
Density Altitude
True Altitude
True airspeed
Mach number
Does it give reading in dbd friendly obscure units or does it do it in the proper units....btw where is dbd these days...I haven't seen any of his postings for a while.
Old Apr 29th 2009, 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by clynnog
Does it give reading in dbd friendly obscure units or does it do it in the proper units....btw where is dbd these days...I haven't seen any of his postings for a while.
He's been sent to stand on the naughty stair for a couple of weeks for calling someone names.
Old Apr 29th 2009, 6:33 pm
Bon Vivant

Time-speed -distance
Fuel consumption
Temperature conversions
Weight of fuel and oil
Density Altitude
True Altitude
True airspeed
Mach number

Here's the same instrument but different configuration. Not the easiest thing for some to master. A bit like a slide rule. Anyone remember them ? These are good to have if all else, electronic wizardry that is, fails. The back side is just as complex as the front !
Attached Thumbnails Come fly with me - First Flight-whizz-wheel.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.