Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Citizenship - notice to appear - for verification of identity/documents

Citizenship - notice to appear - for verification of identity/documents

Old Nov 4th 2011, 8:58 pm
Arrived at last!!

woodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Citizenship - notice to appear - for verification of identity/documents

Ok, so this morning OH received a letter requesting him to attend for interview 21st November at 8 a.m. and to take with him all sorts of documents. Do we assume that if he passes the interview he will then proceed to a citizenship ceremony? No where on the paperwork does it say anything about that but am assuming as it is so early in the morning that will be the case.

Am also assuming that it is just a one on one interview and not the test as we believe he doesn't have to take that because of his age.

Progress at last and fingers crossed that on the 21st November he will become a Canadian citizen.
Old Nov 4th 2011, 10:34 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Citizenship - notice to appear - for verification of identity/documents

Sorry to rain on your parade a bit, but likely the interview is purely for verification of docs only & the actual test will follow some weeks (or months) later. Then you have to wait for a possible interview with a citizenship judge and/or the ceremony itself.
Old Nov 4th 2011, 11:06 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Citizenship - notice to appear - for verification of identity/documents

If he's over 55 he won't have to take the test.

When we did ours, we all rolled up on test day, but only elder son and I had to take the test. OH was over 55 and younger son had been under 18 when we applied .....

As for the "interview", we were all four seen as a group before the two of us went on to take the test. The officer took our PR cards and landing documents (I think), and just spoke briefly to each of us in the manner of a very informal conversation, eg how are you settling in, what are you doing (job/school etc). There was nothing in depth, and nothing to worry about. Then he gave the two of us our test papers, and the other two went off for a coffee!!

As it happened, the ceremony was that same day, in the afternoon, so we all became citizens together as well
Old Nov 4th 2011, 11:22 pm
Arrived at last!!

woodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond repute

OH is 70 so definitely no test. I just thought that as we have to turn up at 8 a.m. (travelling from Bragg Creek so a very very early start!) it was likely that a ceremony would be happening later in the morning. The interview is in the Harry Hays building, is that where ceremonies take place? I know sometimes they have taken place in schools etc. I have probably got too excited and have put two and two together to make 96 but so want this over with asap, like most people. OH refuses to leave the country until he has his citizenship, so no trips outside of Canada until it happens.
Old Nov 6th 2011, 4:50 pm
Forum Regular

gad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond repute

Calgary isn't doing tests and ceremonies on the same day anymore.

When I went for my test there were also the over 55s whose paperwork was being checked. I don't know if they had to wait for the same ceremony as those taking the test. If so that was about 5 weeks.

So don't get your hopes up that ceremony will be same day but you are getting close.
Old Nov 9th 2011, 6:42 pm
Arrived at last!!

Originally Posted by gad33
Calgary isn't doing tests and ceremonies on the same day anymore.

When I went for my test there were also the over 55s whose paperwork was being checked. I don't know if they had to wait for the same ceremony as those taking the test. If so that was about 5 weeks.

So don't get your hopes up that ceremony will be same day but you are getting close.
Thanks I didn't know that. I guess we shall just have to wait and see and if it is just for the test then hopefully the ceremony won't be long after.
Old Nov 9th 2011, 7:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ramsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really nice

Yup, Ceremony not likely to be same day..... My folks had an 8am appointment, no test due to age, but all id documents checked.... They will confirm all travel dates against the stamps in your passport.

Ceremony about 4-5wks later.....
Old Nov 9th 2011, 8:00 pm
Arrived at last!!

Originally Posted by Ramsey
Yup, Ceremony not likely to be same day..... My folks had an 8am appointment, no test due to age, but all id documents checked.... They will confirm all travel dates against the stamps in your passport.

Thanks Ramsey, OH also has an 8 a.m. appointment. I am assuming then that there are lots with an 8 a.m. appointment and that there will be some hanging around! Better take a book.
Old Nov 9th 2011, 9:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ramsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really nice

As they had no test they were called through and processed quite quickly.... may have just been lucky!!

I'd definitely take a book to be on the safe side!
Old Nov 10th 2011, 2:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Vancouver, BC (originally from Huddersfield, W. Yorkshire)
adele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond repute

They will confirm all travel dates against the stamps in your passport.
This interests me - I hope they have some way of looking it up electronically as well? When I flew back into YVR after my trips overseas I used the machines so I haven't got any stamps in my passport to show re-entry to Canada. Plus two of my absences were to the UK so I don't have any stamps to show my date of entry to the UK either (I'm a British citizen).

Old Nov 10th 2011, 4:38 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

.... They will confirm all travel dates against the stamps in your passport.
Frown: I don't recall anything of the kind. .... I'd have to check with him indoors though, as senility is fast approaching!
Old Nov 10th 2011, 12:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alberta_Rose
Frown: I don't recall anything of the kind. .... I'd have to check with him indoors though, as senility is fast approaching!
Yep. They went through ours with a fine toothed comb.
Old Nov 10th 2011, 12:38 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

They don't do this in Nfld. Or at least, not for me they didn't. I did have way more residency time than the 3 years by the time I applied.
Old Nov 10th 2011, 2:20 pm
Arrived at last!!

As they had no test they were called through and processed quite quickly.... may have just been lucky!!

I'd definitely take a book to be on the safe side!
Yep will take something to read and perhaps a pillow, an 8 a.m. appointment for us oldies travelling from Bragg Creek is a really early start

I did find a site yesterday that lists the dates citizenship ceremonies are being held and you are right there is not one registered for the 21st November so we will just have to be a little more patient.

OH has only been out of Canada twice since he arrived (four years ago) and both were short visits to the States and I believe he has all the necessary stamps so hopefully no problems there.

One other question does he go into the interview on his own or will I be able to accompany him?

Old Nov 10th 2011, 2:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by woodmanbg
Yep will take something to read and perhaps a pillow, an 8 a.m. appointment for us oldies travelling from Bragg Creek is a really early start

I did find a site yesterday that lists the dates citizenship ceremonies are being held and you are right there is not one registered for the 21st November so we will just have to be a little more patient.

OH has only been out of Canada twice since he arrived (four years ago) and both were short visits to the States and I believe he has all the necessary stamps so hopefully no problems there.

One other question does he go into the interview on his own or will I be able to accompany him?

You will find that everyone is given an appointment for 8:00 a.m. The queue will form and you will be seen at whatever time it takes you to get to the front of the queue. There is lots of waiting around. The cafe there must do a brisk trade but it is staffed by the most miserable staff I have ever met!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.