Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Christmas Help - GTA - please....

Christmas Help - GTA - please....

Old Dec 3rd 2008, 12:01 am
Forum Regular

shahzadandkelly is just really niceshahzadandkelly is just really niceshahzadandkelly is just really niceshahzadandkelly is just really niceshahzadandkelly is just really niceshahzadandkelly is just really niceshahzadandkelly is just really niceshahzadandkelly is just really niceshahzadandkelly is just really nice
Default Christmas Help - GTA - please....

Hey All

Am really looking forward to my first Christmas in Canada but.....

I am used to big family gatherings for Christmas and know that it is a real possibility that I will get a bit down, missing my family this first year.

So, knowing that we would like to be around lots of people this Christmas (rather than the two of us sat in a little flat), hubby & |I have looked into doing some volunteering work on Christmas day.

We have found two soup kitchens operating in Toronto and Mississauga but both of them are full and don't need any volunteers.

Do any of you lovely people know of any small community based social groups that might like a couple of people to help out over Christmas?

We would both REALLY appreciate any pointers.

Thanks folks

Kellyx
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 2:25 am
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Christmas Help - GTA - please....

Try the Yonge St Mission at Gerrard St E and Parliament St.
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 3:23 am
BE Enthusiast

bandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond repute

I've heard too that in Van you practically have to volunteer a year in advance.

Seems a real shame / waste not to utilise all htose willing to help, perhaps there are valid reasons, but isn't htere anything that those who 'missed the boat' can do to help the homeless and less fortunate???

Bx
Old Dec 11th 2008, 10:30 pm
Forum Regular

shahzadandkelly is just really niceshahzadandkelly is just really niceshahzadandkelly is just really niceshahzadandkelly is just really niceshahzadandkelly is just really niceshahzadandkelly is just really niceshahzadandkelly is just really niceshahzadandkelly is just really niceshahzadandkelly is just really nice

Originally Posted by CaptainHook
Try the Yonge St Mission at Gerrard St E and Parliament St.
Hi Captainhook

Thanks for the link, much appreciated.

Alas, they are full of volunteers for Christmas which is really great for them. Guess we need to get ourselves sorted much earlier.

We now know better for next time.

thanks anyway

Kelly
Old Dec 11th 2008, 10:33 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by bandit
I've heard too that in Van you practically have to volunteer a year in advance.

Seems a real shame / waste not to utilise all htose willing to help, perhaps there are valid reasons, but isn't htere anything that those who 'missed the boat' can do to help the homeless and less fortunate???

Bx
Hey Bandit

Yeah, seems that way too here. Having tried the ones we have been able to learn of, it seems we have missed the boat for this year.

A little disappointing for me but then great for the groups who needed some help.

There's always next year

Kelly
Old Dec 12th 2008, 12:17 am

jancal is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by shahzadandkelly
Hey Bandit

Yeah, seems that way too here. Having tried the ones we have been able to learn of, it seems we have missed the boat for this year.

A little disappointing for me but then great for the groups who needed some help.

There's always next year

Kelly
Canadians are very charitable and the fact that they are "over-subscribed" for volunteers does not surprise me.