Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Christmas gifts- shopping

Christmas gifts- shopping

Old Nov 28th 2015, 11:37 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Christmas gifts- shopping

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
If Santa really existed...
Blasphemy!

I'll have you know he's parading down Main St tonight.

Old Dec 13th 2015, 8:34 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

HID bought me a posh new rain shell although she made me open it before Christmas as apparently my other one smelled like fish and crab guts. She also informed me that you can climb mountains in it although I'll more likely use it to walk to the pub.

Apart from that, I've got all my UK shopping done. I now just have to go to the shops to pick up the presents HID ordered for herself.
Old Dec 13th 2015, 9:17 pm
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Don't look Snoop... So I might have asked Santa for an Iwatch and hopefully the elves will be making it as you read this. Then I see B&H, my heavenly photography shop in New York is selling them for $249 (USD)as opposed to $449 in Canada- yes, I know the Loonie is just past the S- bend in my toilet but hell we are being ripped off here in Canada. She tells me she is worth it- considering the kennel has been cleaned from top to toe by her fair paws I suppose she has a point
Old Dec 13th 2015, 9:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

plasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stinkypup
Don't look Snoop... So I might have asked Santa for an Iwatch and hopefully the elves will be making it as you read this. Then I see B&H, my heavenly photography shop in New York is selling them for $249 (USD)as opposed to $449 in Canada- yes, I know the Loonie is just past the S- bend in my toilet but hell we are being ripped off here in Canada. She tells me she is worth it- considering the kennel has been cleaned from top to toe by her fair paws I suppose she has a point
I heard on radio the results of a recent study in which iWatch owners were asked what they used the device for. No.1 usage was telling the time and for other functions they mainly used their smart phones. The one I would like is way much too expensive. For that type of money I'd prefer a high end classy Swiss watch.
Old Dec 13th 2015, 9:56 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

We always get ripped off in Canada..... Using today's exchange rate, 249 USD would be around 345 CAD, so still a decent savings not to buy it in Canada.

I got all my shopping done, bought a small item for my wife. Everyone else gets a card with a photo of Charlee inside. Wal-Mart had all their cards on sale for 1.50 for 50 cards, so may as well send a few cards out for that price. Clearly nobody buys them anymore or maybe just here, Christmas stuff has been on clearance for a couple weeks now, they just can't seem to get the stuff moving off the shelves.
Old Dec 13th 2015, 10:22 pm
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by plasticcanuck
I heard on radio the results of a recent study in which iWatch owners were asked what they used the device for. No.1 usage was telling the time and for other functions they mainly used their smart phones. The one I would like is way much too expensive. For that type of money I'd prefer a high end classy Swiss watch.
You are preaching to the converted! I absolutely agree. I think that there is some virus that they implant in their devices that can take over the brain of the owner. Sadly Snoopdawg is a victim of this terrible condition and everything has to be white or now the new strain of the virus has changed things so now Rose gold is the new must-have..thankfully she seems to be the only one afflicted in the household.. kennel cough, well that's a different matter
Old Dec 13th 2015, 10:58 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

You are preaching to the converted! I absolutely agree. I think that there is some virus that they implant in their devices that can take over the brain of the owner. Sadly Snoopdawg is a victim of this terrible condition and everything has to be white or now the new strain of the virus has changed things so now Rose gold is the new must-have..thankfully she seems to be the only one afflicted in the household.. kennel cough, well that's a different matter
Time for AAA (Apple Addicts Anonymous,)
Old Dec 15th 2015, 3:58 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Mine's all done apart from food stuffs from GI. I'll be down there early next week - hopefully it won't be too mental.
Old Dec 15th 2015, 5:52 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Mine's all done apart from food stuffs from GI. I'll be down there early next week - hopefully it won't be too mental.
Get there as early as you can as more and more people are realizing how poor quality most of the food that is sold in Canada is, so anywhere decent these days is going to be completely overwhelmed. It opens at 9am.
Old Dec 15th 2015, 7:26 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

All the gifts I get are junk.

I was actually going through some stuff on the weekend that needs to be thrown out. A large portion is gifts received the last two Christmases.

I usually buy myself one kick arse gift each year but kind of stuck for ideas this year.
Old Dec 22nd 2015, 12:16 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
Get there as early as you can as more and more people are realizing how poor quality most of the food that is sold in Canada is, so anywhere decent these days is going to be completely overwhelmed. It opens at 9am.
9:20 this morning and it was already busy at oyama (had to wait 15 numbers). They had a nice goose/truffle pate though; going to enjoy eating that over the next day or so.

Lots of people buying/ordering swedish christmas hams. Can't say I blame them - they looked bloody good.
Old Dec 22nd 2015, 1:46 am
Account Closed

No need for shopping, but what a pain it is having holidays...lol.... Trying to get anything done is near impossible this time of year...
Old Dec 22nd 2015, 4:32 am

9:20 this morning and it was already busy at oyama (had to wait 15 numbers). They had a nice goose/truffle pate though; going to enjoy eating that over the next day or so.

Lots of people buying/ordering swedish christmas hams. Can't say I blame them - they looked bloody good.
I'm going on Wednesday at 9:00am for my Christmas provisions. Then off to the cheese shop and off-licence for the festive booze. I may try a nice slab of the goose/truffle pate. It should go well with the large jar of Haywards pickled onions.
Old Dec 22nd 2015, 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by Oink
I'm going on Wednesday at 9:00am for my Christmas provisions. Then off to the cheese shop and off-licence for the festive booze. I may try a nice slab of the goose/truffle pate. It should go well with the large jar of Haywards pickled onions.
I forgot to make any pickled onions and it's too late now

I think we have enough booze though. Couple of dozen bottles of wine, crate of beer, some semi-fancy whisky and a few assorted spirits/mixers should see us through to the new year and maybe into January.
Old Dec 23rd 2015, 8:58 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

I forgot to make any pickled onions and it's too late now

I think we have enough booze though. Couple of dozen bottles of wine, crate of beer, some semi-fancy whisky and a few assorted spirits/mixers should see us through to the new year and maybe into January.
Bulk Barn sell Haywards, if it's of any use? Normally Walmart do, but they were sold out when I went the other day. I did get some Cambozola yesterday and some McVitae Chocolate Digestives at Fortino's - yum!

Everything bought, finally, though it's empty wallet time again - thank goodness it's only once a year!

Last edited by Siouxie; Dec 23rd 2015 at 9:01 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.