Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Christmas dinner/lunch?

Christmas dinner/lunch?

Old Nov 4th 2012, 6:51 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Christmas dinner/lunch?

Is anyone planning to have a Christmas dinner/lunch, whether private or work related, in the lead up to Christmas? I can’t find anywhere to have a nice traditional cozy pub lunch. Some of the hotels (Vancouver) do a buffet but they’re bloody expensive and focus on weird stuff rather than a nice three-course Christmas menu. I always liked a good Christmas lunch where you start about 12:30 and by 3:30 you've enough to drink to say bugger work, lets make day of it.

Last edited by Oink; Nov 4th 2012 at 6:53 pm.
Old Nov 4th 2012, 7:24 pm
no I aint

Flogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Christmas dinner/lunch?

Not thought of it before this excellent thread put it into my mind.

Worry is, can't think of a single place that wouldn't destroy the whole experience.
WTF is a buffet about. How hard is it to knock out a nice prawn cocktail, roast turkey, and a bit of christmas pud with brandy butter. Probably wouldn't even get any naffing sprouts, or the chance of a glass or 2 of sherry.

When we were in the Uk we used to try to organise Christmas work do's at the posher places where they take the foil wrapper off the mince pie and serve cos lettuce with the prawn cocktail rather than iceberg. Makes all the difference

Last edited by Flogger; Nov 4th 2012 at 7:38 pm. Reason: added helpful advice to those in UK wanting to organise work parties over the festive period
Old Nov 4th 2012, 8:01 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
Is anyone planning to have a Christmas dinner/lunch, whether private or work related, in the lead up to Christmas? I can’t find anywhere to have a nice traditional cozy pub lunch. Some of the hotels (Vancouver) do a buffet but they’re bloody expensive and focus on weird stuff rather than a nice three-course Christmas menu. I always liked a good Christmas lunch where you start about 12:30 and by 3:30 you've enough to drink to say bugger work, lets make day of it.
Do you normally have to work on Christmas Day?

By 3.30pm most of us fortunate souls have had enough to eat and drink to say "bugger the telly, I might have 40 winks". And then we nod off and wake up at tea time.
Old Nov 4th 2012, 8:09 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Flogger
Not thought of it before this excellent thread put it into my mind.

Worry is, can't think of a single place that wouldn't destroy the whole experience.
WTF is a buffet about. How hard is it to knock out a nice prawn cocktail, roast turkey, and a bit of christmas pud with brandy butter. Probably wouldn't even get any naffing sprouts, or the chance of a glass or 2 of sherry.

When we were in the Uk we used to try to organise Christmas work do's at the posher places where they take the foil wrapper off the mince pie and serve cos lettuce with the prawn cocktail rather than iceberg. Makes all the difference
Or a nice pate on toast. They could also take note that a chipolata and bacon roll goes nicely with a Christmas lunch.

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
Do you normally have to work on Christmas Day?

By 3.30pm most of us fortunate souls have had enough to eat and drink to say "bugger the telly, I might have 40 winks". And then we nod off and wake up at tea time.
I stated "in the lead up to Christmas". I'm talking about work dos or just a group of mates or even if you have to bring the HIDs along in a pub.
Old Nov 4th 2012, 8:10 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Or a nice pate on toast. They could also take note that a chipolata and bacon roll goes nicely with a Christmas lunch.

I stated "in the lead up to Christmas". I'm talking about work dos or just a group of mates or even if you have to bring the HIDs along in a pub.
Ahh ok, I forgot about work parties and the lead up and Mad Friday because there is **** all in Italy.
Old Nov 4th 2012, 8:11 pm

Please excuse my fruity language ..... I'm only a Mod by title and not by heart.
Old Nov 4th 2012, 10:13 pm

I wonder what would constitute the perfect pub Christmas lunch menu?

The one thing they fail to do over here is bread sauce and roast potatoes. Which is weird why they don't have them because any of the Canadians I've cooked for loved both.
Old Nov 4th 2012, 10:17 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

The one thing they fail to do over here is bread sauce and roast potatoes. Which is weird why they don't have them because any of the Canadians I've cooked for loved both.
they don't have them because Americans don't have them
Old Nov 4th 2012, 11:39 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs down Re: Christmas dinner/lunch?

Oink, we could be joined at the hip...why would anyone wish to eat a piece of roasted poultry without bread sauce!!! I have now, thank goodness, sorted out the best sort of potatoes for roasties...so life is good. Over the last couple of decades I have successfully trained the home made family and they know this is now the acceptable and edible 'norm'. Are we together on the need for 'proper' and sausage and onion and herb based stuffing?
Old Nov 5th 2012, 12:06 am

Originally Posted by MillieF
Oink, we could be joined at the hip...why would anyone wish to eat a piece of roasted poultry without bread sauce!!! I have now, thank goodness, sorted out the best sort of potatoes for roasties...so life is good. Over the last couple of decades I have successfully trained the home made family and they know this is now the acceptable and edible 'norm'. Are we together on the need for 'proper' and sausage and onion and herb based stuffing?
Care to divulge?
Old Nov 5th 2012, 12:36 am
BE Forum Addict

geedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond repute

I have now, thank goodness, sorted out the best sort of potatoes for roasties...so life is good.
Care to divulge?
Yes, please, do tell! The odd thing is, we have found that we can buy the same strain of potatoes for mash and get very different results each time.... no idea what's going on there. Same with roast, but we put it down to the quality of the roasting fat (we can't always get lard when needed!).
Old Nov 5th 2012, 1:00 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by geedee
Yes, please, do tell! The odd thing is, we have found that we can buy the same strain of potatoes for mash and get very different results each time.... no idea what's going on there. Same with roast, but we put it down to the quality of the roasting fat (we can't always get lard when needed!).
I buy Goose Fat from France as it makes for better roast potatoes!
Old Nov 5th 2012, 1:10 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
they don't have them because Americans don't have them
Americans have roast potatoes. They even have a tradition of roasting them in goose fat. At least, the Americans with whom I've eaten roast potatoes ate roast potatoes.
Old Nov 5th 2012, 1:39 am

Still you have to get the right potatoes.
Old Nov 5th 2012, 1:48 am
BE Forum Addict

geedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond repute

I'll try that. Delia Smith swears by Lard as it gets hotter (apparently!). I follow her recipe for crunchy roast spuds and they really are delish!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.