Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Changing work & toil direction as mature adults. - A discussion.

Changing work & toil direction as mature adults. - A discussion.

Old Nov 27th 2019, 9:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Changing work & toil direction as mature adults. - A discussion.

My experiment of just randomly sending resumes on indeed worked in a way with that interview last week, so it wasn't a complete failure.

The interview was for a job I would not normally have applied for, so upside there.

I just don't think my lack of experience and education is helping, my experience for the most part is in such a specific industry little skills actually transfer over. The spotty job history, and lack of accomplishments don't help. Hard to explain the gaps and not bring up the reason (mental health).

I'll keep trying, not sure it will lead to anything at this point though.

It's also the worst time of year for me, I am not particularly doing that great mental health wise.

I guess being lost with no direction doesn't help, I stare at programs on the various college websites and none of them seem achievable.

Last edited by Jsmth321; Nov 27th 2019 at 10:49 pm.
Old Nov 28th 2019, 2:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute

Indeed sent me an email to remind me of the jobs applied to this month and show how many others did as well, seems 50-75 is about what each job posting got through the indeed website, with others more and less but most were in that range.

Never had indeed send a progress email before, must be something new they do.

If I had the ability, I kind of wonder if a dog/cat supply store would do well in this area, there are lots of people with dogs and cats, but really no good store, but then if there isn't one already, there might be no market for such a store.

Last edited by Jsmth321; Nov 28th 2019 at 3:26 am.
Old Nov 28th 2019, 2:56 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 View Post
Indeed sent me an email to remind me of the jobs applied to this month and show how many others did as well, seems 50-75 is about what each job posting got through the indeed website...
Is this something you only get as a result of an application? No other way of telling how many applied?
I'm only curious because when the subject of job availability comes up, people talk about fewer jobs in smaller cities but it seems to me that as smaller cities have smaller populations, the number of potential applicants - let alone those properly qualified - is also smaller.

Having 100 job positions to apply for is no advantage over 'only' 20 if there are 1000 applying for the 100 jobs and only 200 applicants for the 20.

I just searched Sous Chef for Moncton. 13 positions. $38k-$55k is the range.

328 in Toronto. $49k-$61k.

25 times as many jobs. 34 times as many people. Rent money's going to last an awful lot longer in Moncton and even with the lower pay the chef would have more money left after rent than in Toronto.

Seriously, if one's aim is to get established in Canada - with Canadian experience - then "go where the work is" is good advice. But maybe that should be the likelihood of the work rather than simply the number of vacancies. I suggest it when the topic comes up but nobody ever takes me up on it.

Old Nov 28th 2019, 3:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

That I do not know, this is also the first time I have gotten that type of email. I don't see anything on the job listings before or after applying that says the number though, here is an example of one of the jobs I applied to and what it looked like in the email, I did remove the company name in case they call for an interview. Above the city was the name of the company and position and how long ago I applied.

Smaller city's can certainly have advantages depending on the city, and such and well the type of job one is looking for. The years I did hiring for seasonal retail jobs back in 2008-2011 time frame for Christmas, for each posting I would put up, I would average 100-150 resumes, but alot of students look for Christmas jobs in the fall/winter. My last job at the airport, they were lucky if they could manage 5-10 resumes sent in and of those many didn't have a drivers licence, couldn't get to the airport without transit (most shifts started before transit starts or after transit ends) or they couldn't pass background checks, but one of the reasons we were always short, people left quicker than could be hired. Some shifts we would have 30-50% of the lines open and running so short staffed we could barely operate. But for Vancouver its a pay issue, not many willing to work in all weather, doing physical labor, working crummy shifts for $15/hr to start with no regular raises and few benefits.

My last airport job the job itself was fine, it was the lack of appropriate people and lack of equipment that racked up the stress to a point I couldn't handle it anymore, but I wasn't alone, I lasted a little over 2 years and few others did. When you have 2 people on a flight that should have 5 people working it, it's problematic and of course if there was a delay taken, we got blamed by the company, they never took any responsibility, if the company doesn't provide the tools to do a job, why they expect the job to get done on-time is perplexing, but managers have that mindset.

If we didn't have the issues that we have, or if NB offered the same level of support as BC, we would certainly be more open to moving, but neither of us can guarantee we wont have issues relapse and without the necessary supports we would not be well off and likely higher risk of being homeless. It's one of those things when you need certain services and supports, can't always up and relocate.

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
Is this something you only get as a result of an application? No other way of telling how many applied?
I'm only curious because when the subject of job availability comes up, people talk about fewer jobs in smaller cities but it seems to me that as smaller cities have smaller populations, the number of potential applicants - let alone those properly qualified - is also smaller.

Having 100 job positions to apply for is no advantage over 'only' 20 if there are 1000 applying for the 100 jobs and only 200 applicants for the 20.

25 times as many jobs. 34 times as many people. Rent money's going to last an awful lot longer in Moncton and even with the lower pay the chef would have more money left after rent than in Toronto.

Seriously, if one's aim is to get established in Canada - with Canadian experience - then "go where the work is" is good advice. But maybe that should be the likelihood of the work rather than simply the number of vacancies. I suggest it when the topic comes up but nobody ever takes me up on it.

Last edited by Jsmth321; Nov 28th 2019 at 3:46 am.
Old Nov 28th 2019, 8:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

A new study suggests borderline disorder may increase heart risks.

https://psychcentral.com/news/2019/1...ks/151433.html

Kind of makes sense there was a study that linked borderline to higher levels of stress hormones which can cause physical health issues over time and may explain why dreams become stress inducing as well, who knows.

I hope they figure the disorder out for future generations with it don't have to suffer as much and can live a reasonably normal life.

I tried the best I could to have a normal life, but its never going to happen at this point, its not something one can overcome alone. I did the best I could with the cards I was given, but it wasn't enough, life is just too expensive.

Last edited by Jsmth321; Nov 28th 2019 at 9:16 pm.
Old Nov 29th 2019, 12:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I didn't notice yesterday but indeed sent another one of those emails and it also says if the company viewed your resume or not, this email only had 1 job I applied for listed, part-time condo concierge and only 23 applicants.

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post

Old Nov 29th 2019, 10:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

This would actually be a pretty easy job if anyone has a class 1 or 2 license with 2 years commercial experience. Drive passengers from the terminal to remote stands. $23/hr.

https://ca.indeed.com/jobs?q&l=Vanco...4673f225ccd99f

I sometimes do wish I had a valuable skill, helps if trying to think of self employment ideas if what you know how to do is actually something someone will pay for....

Last edited by Jsmth321; Nov 29th 2019 at 11:43 pm.
Old Dec 1st 2019, 8:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

My wife applied for a program that can assist in training funds, and/or supports to open a small business, wait and see if she can get some sort of funding.

I don't qualify but hopefully she will may open up some avenues for her, she has been struggling to find a job as well, she has more education and training, but has gaps in employment as well due to mental health, she can't work when in hospital for manic episodes so loses jobs when one occurs typically.

Traditional employment isn't working and I think if we can access resources that would be needed, we might be able to come up with some kind of business maybe. My wife is pretty good with ideas, just lacks the resources to turn ideas into reality.

As the saying says, takes money to make money, and if you lack it in the first place, a bit hard to building anything to a point it can make money.

I do believe if people suffering from mental health were given more supports and resources for self employment the unemployment rate and reliance on disability might be lower. Traditional employment doesn't always work with mental health issues since traditional employers can't usually operate around the needs that people may need.

More then one story out there where someone with mental health disability when they have had access and support have succeeded in opening a business.

Last edited by Jsmth321; Dec 1st 2019 at 9:52 pm.
Old Dec 2nd 2019, 10:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

First of the month usually brings a fair number of rejection emails, I noticed that companies larger ones anyhow seem to purge their system or something around the first since that seems to be the biggest day of each month to get the rejection emails......

I don't anticipate any job at this point until sometime in 2020, with holidays coming up quickly, not much time left really and December to February never seems a great time to find a job.

Uphill battle, I know I am not likely to find anything that will work long term, but even a few months of income is better than nothing.
Old Dec 3rd 2019, 10:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I don't know if I can get through the program, never tried this sort of job and not exactly one where one can go and try it out first, so maybe just take the risk and give it a try, worst that happens is not passing, and not too worse off minus possible debt, but its not exactly loaded with pre-requisites and I think I can get through those, but if I can't then I know its not for me, and I need to find something else.

Toughest part of choosing some sort of training is choosing what, I really haven't a clue what I am capable of, might be one reason I struggle, hard to choose something when you can't even think of what your capable of doing.

https://www.vcc.ca/programs/medical-...ng-technician/

or maybe this

https://www.vcc.ca/programscourses/b...lding-manager/

or this

https://www.vcc.ca/programscourses/b...ice-assistant/

Last edited by Jsmth321; Dec 3rd 2019 at 10:08 pm.
Old Dec 3rd 2019, 10:13 pm
BE Site Lead & Admin

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 View Post

Toughest part of choosing some sort of training is choosing what
The first one.

Old Dec 3rd 2019, 10:29 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS View Post
The first one.
Old Dec 3rd 2019, 10:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The first one.
That is the one I have leaned towards, I see postings around the province for it at various health authorities so seems like something that would lead to a job.

Got a rejection email in regards to a position I applied to at the aquarium.

Old Dec 4th 2019, 1:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The first one.
Pay looks to be around $24/hr so not too bad, most jobs are casual so not set hours so hard to say how much per year it would end up being, not enough to thrive in Vancouver but if a job could be found outside of Vancouver in a lower cost area, might be able to buy a house on it eventually, but not sure....

Old Dec 4th 2019, 6:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

In many ways this is true.

My wife also brought up a good point regarding training programs, and what happens when I pay for training, say pass, get a job, then have a breakdown at job and lose it, but now stuck with large debt and in the same boat. I may just not be able to hold long term employment untreated, in many ways I think I am trying to achieve something that I will never be able to achieve untreated.

Last edited by Jsmth321; Dec 4th 2019 at 6:24 pm.

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.