C'est le must !

Old May 24th 2013, 1:32 pm
me/moi

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute
Default C'est le must !

Not sure what our Québécois friends would think of this...!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-22636888
Old May 24th 2013, 2:05 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: C'est le must !

Originally Posted by Shard
Not sure what our Québécois friends would think of this...!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-22636888
Merde loads of that goes on in QC. You'd struggle to find someone that doesn't include it in just about every sentence they utter.

I sometimes find myself wondering why it is done. Using a shorter form of words I can understand. It's often not like that, though.

"un lighter" - why?

"yes" - why?
Old May 24th 2013, 3:37 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

The relooking and lifting, on the list, had me puzzled for ages in France. There were loads of these expressions, that especially teenagers scattered into conversation all the time, to be cool. In this bit of NB, the French speakers just seem to change from one language to the other all the time, mid sentence. 'Snacking' I noticed was on the list, and I find it's used very strangely in Canada in general, it seems to be a verb here.
Old May 24th 2013, 3:46 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MillieF
The relooking and lifting, on the list, had me puzzled for ages in France. There were loads of these expressions, that especially teenagers scattered into conversation all the time, to be cool. In this bit of NB, the French speakers just seem to change from one language to the other all the time, mid sentence. 'Snacking' I noticed was on the list, and I find it's used very strangely in Canada in general, it seems to be a verb here.
"Visit" is also used very strangely.
Old May 24th 2013, 4:14 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
"Visit" is also used very strangely.
Isn't it a French word anyway?
Old May 24th 2013, 4:18 pm
Slob

Gerund would probably be more accurate.

It is rather common, though, like golfing and, alarmingly, cottaging.

If you want to get really screwed by people switching languages, go to Morocco. Arabic and French in the same sentence is just plain confusing.
Old May 24th 2013, 8:34 pm
BE user by choice

MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

I worked in Lebanon and Tunisia for a time Souvy, and it was exactly the same there. I rather liked it because, I do speak Arabic, and the linguistic soup was great fun and made for good communication, it was never dull!

It gets a bit confusing when the French take a word and then change the meaning, as with the re-looking business though. Also, when they drop an English word, petal like, into conversation, it's 'cool'....when I do the same thing, it's just because I'm the bloody English woman who can't be bothered to speak French! Most annoying
Old May 24th 2013, 8:43 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

I worked in Lebanon and Tunisia for a time Souvy, and it was exactly the same there. I rather liked it because, I do speak Arabic, and the linguistic soup was great fun and made for good communication, it was never dull!
You must have found the subtitles in "l'Incendie" a bit annoying.
Old May 25th 2013, 1:52 pm
BE user by choice

I have never seen this film, but have Googled it and it looks most interesting. In the next couple of weeks I shall watch this. Many thanks Novo.
Old May 25th 2013, 2:51 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

I have never seen this film, but have Googled it and it looks most interesting. In the next couple of weeks I shall watch this. Many thanks Novo.
One of the best films I've ever seen. Enjoy.
Old May 25th 2013, 9:39 pm
BE user by choice

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
One of the best films I've ever seen. Enjoy.
Went down this afternoon, and got it from the library! Thanks so much
Old May 25th 2013, 10:25 pm
Born again atheist

Went down this afternoon, and got it from the library! Thanks so much
Let me know what you think, I won't spoil it by commenting until after you've watched it.