British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   CENSUS 2011 (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/census-2011-a-717588/)

magnumpi May 18th 2011 1:47 pm

CENSUS 2011

Has every one here done their census. ??

Nosey buggers ehh, what if you decide that you can't be arsed doing it, says its a law thing and you got to do it.

Will the Census police come and get ya. :blink:

Piff Poff May 18th 2011 1:59 pm

Re: CENSUS 2011

We got selected for extra census duties too - took forever to do. Now about to do the one for the Lake house - this is one reason to not be greedy and have two houses:eek::rofl:

Zoe Bell May 18th 2011 2:12 pm

I got upset when Ben refused to put " dealing with **** wits" as my main duties at work

Piff Poff May 18th 2011 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell (Post 9373815)
I got upset when Ben refused to put " dealing with **** wits" as my main duties at work

:rofl:

So it's not just an Alberta thing then?

GavinR May 18th 2011 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by magnumpi (Post 9373791)
Has every one here done their census. ??

Nosey buggers ehh, what if you decide that you can't be arsed doing it, says its a law thing and you got to do it.

Will the Census police come and get ya. :blink:

Yep. I actually didn't think it was particularly intrusive. Seem to recall doing one in the UK years ago which asked for way more info. I don't have a problem doing them as (supposedly) the info is used for schools, funding etc.

The4BellsLondon May 18th 2011 4:18 pm

About 6 questions in BC!

Steve_P May 18th 2011 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by The4BellsLondon (Post 9373947)
About 6 questions in BC!

Short form should be 8 questions (you must have skipped a couple).:rolleyes:

If you are one of the "lucky" one in three you can answer the long form now known as the National Household Survey strictly voluntary mind. :)

The4BellsLondon May 18th 2011 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by Steve_P (Post 9373953)
Short form should be 8 questions (you must have skipped a couple).:rolleyes:

If you are one of the "lucky" one in three you can answer the long form now known as the National Household Survey strictly voluntary mind. :)

Dam I wasnt lucky - I settled down with my cuppa already for a mararthon questions sesh and was highly disappointed !

Souvy May 18th 2011 10:31 pm

I did the short one. I found myself wondering what the point was.

magnumpi May 19th 2011 12:30 am

Originally Posted by Souvy (Post 9374451)
I did the short one. I found myself wondering what the point was.

i did about 30 questions, incl income, employer, ethnicity, birth place ect ect. Took about 20 mins.

Must have done the house hold extra bit.

Kydney_Stone May 19th 2011 1:23 am

When I got the letter I put it by the side of the computer. After staring at it for 3 days with the fear and dread of a person about to go to the gallows I opened it. I had the feelings of someone who had been told it was all a mistake and was now free. It took less than 3.67 minutes to fill it in. I'm fond of those sort of experiences, they are so few.

Bless those census people and may they be among those to go to heaven on Saturday.

Piff Poff May 19th 2011 1:50 am

Yeah, we got the household one too. As like Bells I was ready for a marathon session after doing 8 little questions and thinking Oh was that it? I voluntarily carried on as we were specially picked, WELL, it took forever, a alot longer than an extra 20 mins as I had to keep getting up and looking through files for info and adding up bills and stuff. It's put me off volunteering again:frown::rofl:

The second one I did too about 30 seconds, thought it might take longer but it was ok.

Almost Canadian May 19th 2011 1:50 am

Wasn't there a thread about how terrible it was that those damn Tories had gone against the received wisdom regarding the long form and now people are complaining about the short one!

There's no pleasing some people:)

Kydney_Stone May 19th 2011 2:09 am

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian (Post 9374849)
Wasn't there a thread about how terrible it was that those damn Tories had gone against the received wisdom regarding the long form and now people are complaining about the short one!

That's right!

What's that saying? You can please some people some of...no that's not it. You can please all of the people all of...nope.
You can please some of all the people all...nah.
You can please all the people with some of their time...Hmm.

Whatever.

Souvy May 19th 2011 2:15 am

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian (Post 9374849)

I don't have any problem with a detailed census. My A-level geography dissertation was based on census data.

The short census strikes me as rather pointless. Apart from the language bit, I think the other questions were answered on my tax return.