Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Cellphone App Query...

Cellphone App Query...

Old Mar 20th 2018, 7:58 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cellphone App Query...

Originally Posted by Pizzawheel
Well we actually, finally got skype set up. But now we have no immediate means of communication, I've taken to "flashing" (making a brief call letting the phone ring once or twice but not pick up) to let her know she should call me.

Not ideal.
That does sound a bit cumbersome. Why not just move her over with you?
Old Mar 27th 2018, 1:33 pm
Proudly Scarberian

Pizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
That does sound a bit cumbersome. Why not just move her over with you?
Apart from a million other reasons, the lack of an acceptable Marks & Spencer being a significant one, she's probably too frail to travel.
Old Mar 27th 2018, 10:51 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

My mum (89) and I generally use Facebook Messenger. It's gpfree there's video if you want it. There's some sort of bing when a message is received but I don't think there's a vibrate alert.
Old Mar 28th 2018, 2:41 pm
Proudly Scarberian

Pizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah mum is not tech savvy, but what's worse to prove how tech savvy and independent she is she'll go away and do stuff on the sly... with consequences.

This is how whe she went out to get a ipad to use facetime via the kids ipads (Apple is much more friendly than android, I believe?) she ended up with a samsung tab, running kitkat (2013 android), thus even ruling out Duo...

Originally Posted by bats
My mum (89) and I generally use Facebook Messenger. It's gpfree there's video if you want it. There's some sort of bing when a message is received but I don't think there's a vibrate alert.
Old Mar 28th 2018, 11:23 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pizzawheel
Yeah mum is not tech savvy, but what's worse to prove how tech savvy and independent she is she'll go away and do stuff on the sly... with consequences.

This is how whe she went out to get a ipad to use facetime via the kids ipads (Apple is much more friendly than android, I believe?) she ended up with a samsung tab, running kitkat (2013 android), thus even ruling out Duo...
My mum comes and goes with her tech understanding but she doesnt slow down to read what the options are and presses everything. She can cope with messenger thipo including video so do give it a go