CDMA phones

Old Dec 15th 2007, 10:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Purley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond repute
Default CDMA phones

All of our family have Sasktel cell phones which are CDMA. They work a lot better and have better coverage than Rogers etc.

Anyway, my son just bought a cell on eBay. He had been using a Verizon phone that his brother in law brought back from the States - that had been working fine for two years but he wanted something newer.

When I was at The Wireless Age - one of the sellers of Sasktel equipment etc I asked them if they could activate all CDMA phones. The guy there said they used to but they had stopped doing it, because sometimes the phones didn't work. However, it seems to me that if you ask them to activate a non-Sasktel phone and it doesn't work - that is your problem isn't it?

My son took the new phone to another cell phone place and the girl activated it for him and its working just fine.

I am curious to know why Sasktel would care if you bought the phone from them. I suppose they don't sell a phone, but after all if you are using their service month after month, why would they care?

In other countries, you can activate a phone so long as its the same technology. Why would Canada be so restrictive?
Old Dec 16th 2007, 4:03 am
BE Forum Addict

snorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: CDMA phones

I wish they would allow it, we'd not long bought three new phones in the US, all on Verizon plans, right before we decided to move here, but we couldn't get a company here to let us use them.
Old Dec 16th 2007, 2:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Purley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: CDMA phones

To me its stupid. Most people have a contract with the phone company and they would make a lot more money out of the service than they ever would selling the actual telephone. As I said, my son has had a US phone for years and it worked just as well as any telephone bought here - so their "story" about how they wouldn't work doesn't make sense. I think they CAN do it but they WON'T.