Cat ownership in TO

Old Jun 18th 2015, 3:16 pm
Proudly Scarberian

Pizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Cat ownership in TO

So I'd like to get a cat at some stage in the not too far distant.

What's the costs in terms of licenses and chips and mandatory vets stuff? Insurance is heavily recommended?

And for working cat people, I've never seen a cat flap here so do they stay in or out all day- surely they need shelter in winter? If they have an outside cat box/ shelter/palace how do you keep the raccoons and rest of the wildlife out?
Old Jun 18th 2015, 4:31 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cat ownership in TO

http://www.torontohumanesociety.com/...ats_Jan-14.pdf
Old Jun 18th 2015, 4:34 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pizzawheel
So I'd like to get a cat at some stage in the not too far distant.

What's the costs in terms of licenses and chips and mandatory vets stuff? Insurance is heavily recommended?

And for working cat people, I've never seen a cat flap here so do they stay in or out all day- surely they need shelter in winter? If they have an outside cat box/ shelter/palace how do you keep the raccoons and rest of the wildlife out?
You have to get their claws removed and then you keep them inside. Apparently they have a much more stress free and happier life if you do that.
Old Jun 18th 2015, 5:29 pm
Proudly Scarberian

Pizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond repute

Erm.... those were serious answers weren't they....

I've found a fob-controlled cat flap at pet smart so it can be done.
Old Jun 18th 2015, 7:05 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

Worth having a read of this as well - Bylaw enforcement - cats - cat roaming - outdoor cats

(Fun fact, Oakville has a by-law that says you can't own outdoor cats. New Oakville bylaw reins in roaming cats)
Old Jun 18th 2015, 7:18 pm
Forum Regular

The Lees is an unknown quantity at this point

We adopted two kittens last year and declawing is frowned upon now.

I thought it was a little unkind to keep them indoors at first but I can see the sense of it now especially with the wildlife we have around our house. We only let ours outside with us and they actually seem quite happy to stay inside for most of the time.
Old Jun 18th 2015, 7:20 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

+1 for not declawing... declawing cats removes their claws at the first knuckle, so imagine having all your fingers shortened at your first knuckle... not very nice. The procedure is quite painful for them - you're better off training them not to scratch stuff, or providing stuff like scratching posts etc. Definitely don't declaw though, it's rather inhumane.
Old Jun 18th 2015, 7:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, you can find cat flaps, but most people that I know who have cats do not allow them to go out.

Some have the front claws removed on indoor cats, others do not.

It is not generally recommended that cats be outdoors, especially in the cities.

Remember that we have more enemies of cats over here than in the UK ....... from coyotes to cougars, eagles and hawks, even in large cities.

We live in Vancouver in an area with small lots, so no big gardens to provide hidey places, and quite regularly see coyotes strolling on the street. It is even more common to see notices on poles seeking lost cats and small dogs. Unfortunately, most of those will have been captured and eaten by the wild life.

The other wild animal to be aware of is the skunk ........... cats and dogs that get sprayed by a skunk are smelly, smelly, smelly
Old Jun 18th 2015, 7:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

plasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond repute

Please do not even contemplate removing the cat's claws. It is cruel and inhumane. The animal will be defenseless.
A few things about cats are undesirable. They shed hair and scratch furniture. If you cannot tolerate these natural acts then please don't acquire one. Having said that, I think they make delightful pets. I believe they should be kept inside if you want to have it for many years. Outside cats are subject to predation by other animals (including the human variety), they get run over and killed.
Old Jun 18th 2015, 7:41 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

If I was a cat, Canada would not be on my list of countries to emigrate too
Old Jun 18th 2015, 7:41 pm
Proudly Scarberian

I could never declaw a cat, so no worries there. The neighbours have a sort of enclosed cage where their indoor cats could get some fresh air- it was linked to the house under their deck via a length of vent duct. One died and the other is now allowed out- I hear him yowling at times.

There's certainly some wildlife around but it's also reasonable quiet (by UK standards) so I think predators rather than cars would be the main worry.
Old Jun 18th 2015, 8:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond repute

We allow ours out in the day, but bring them in at night.

Last year the 17 year old (deaf and blind in one eye) refused to come in one night and was attacked by 3 raccoons, who cornered him under the neighbour's crawl space.

He survived, but was ripped to shreds, so much so the vet could not stitch all the wounds. Judging by the amount of fur under his claws, he gave as good as he got. They ripped up his face and all his claws in addition to general damage all over.

After being stitched up, he wanted to run straight outside to finish it.

He doesn't the option to go out at night now.
Old Jun 18th 2015, 8:47 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't do it myself but declawing a cat is much more humane than hitting it with a stick when it scratches your leather arm chair. We had our cat declawed and apart from being a bit unsteady when it ran, it seemed just fine.
Old Jun 18th 2015, 8:51 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pizzawheel
Erm.... those were serious answers weren't they....

I've found a fob-controlled cat flap at pet smart so it can be done.
I think I'd calculate the energy costs of an uninsulated cat-flap first.

It'd probably be cheaper to replace the cat every six months.
Old Jun 18th 2015, 8:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

we have one friend who takes his cat for walks on a leash, it gets fresh air that way.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.