car insurance again

Old Apr 23rd 2009, 3:33 pm
Just Joined

moko is an unknown quantity at this point
Default car insurance again

Hi all,

My family and I are moving to BC this July. It could be a few months until we have a permanent address and wondered 'how do you go about getting car insurance if you dont have a home to register it to?

We will obviously hire a car for a while but really want to get our own wheels as soon as possible.

Does anyone have any thoughts?

Mark
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 5:06 pm
C'est correck

Canada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud of
Default Re: car insurance again

Originally Posted by moko
Hi all,

My family and I are moving to BC this July. It could be a few months until we have a permanent address and wondered 'how do you go about getting car insurance if you dont have a home to register it to?

We will obviously hire a car for a while but really want to get our own wheels as soon as possible.

Does anyone have any thoughts?

Mark
Use your temporary address.
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 7:28 pm
Just Joined

Thanks.
When you say a temporary address I guess your talking about a rented home. The problem is, we have a couple dogs and three children in tow and finding a rental property via the net from the UK is proving a tad difficult. We dont have any friends (yet) or relatives in BC and so had thought about exploring the Kootenay's with a mixture of camping and cabins / at the same time viewing places to buy. Ultimately, we are aiming to settle within striking distance of Nelson or at a push further north towards Kaslo or even Revy if the right opportunity presents its self. We are nothing if not flexible! (we did a recce of this area in a previous research trip)
I guess I am 'unreasonably' hoping to find an insurance policy which doesnt need a Canadian address or could possibly be set up from the UK. Alternatively, if any of you wonderful people know of a basic rental property near Nelson which could accommodate us at a fair price we would be very grateful.

Mark
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 11:17 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moko
Thanks.
When you say a temporary address I guess your talking about a rented home. The problem is, we have a couple dogs and three children in tow and finding a rental property via the net from the UK is proving a tad difficult. We dont have any friends (yet) or relatives in BC and so had thought about exploring the Kootenay's with a mixture of camping and cabins / at the same time viewing places to buy. Ultimately, we are aiming to settle within striking distance of Nelson or at a push further north towards Kaslo or even Revy if the right opportunity presents its self. We are nothing if not flexible! (we did a recce of this area in a previous research trip)
I guess I am 'unreasonably' hoping to find an insurance policy which doesnt need a Canadian address or could possibly be set up from the UK. Alternatively, if any of you wonderful people know of a basic rental property near Nelson which could accommodate us at a fair price we would be very grateful.

Mark
Just book the first night or two in a hotel and use their address. You can inform the insurance company of your new one when you get one.
Old Apr 24th 2009, 8:04 am
Just Joined

Many thanks, this makes life a lot easier.
Still on the look out for a rental property near Nelson BC if anyone has any ideas.

Mark
Old Apr 24th 2009, 8:12 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

In British Columbia one has to buy the min. coverage from Insurance Corporation of BC (ICBC) who is also the same agency that registers and issues car license plates as well as drivers licenses.

Coverage above and beyond the basics can be purchased from private companies.

You could always rent a PO box at the post office or UPS store or other place that has them and use it as your mailing address to receive mail and such.

Not likely ICBC will set up a policy for you without you being physically in BC.
Old Apr 24th 2009, 8:33 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

I'm surprised you can get insurance or register a vehicle with no fixed abode. Wonder what would happen if you had a violation ticket sent to the address you no longer reside (hotel for instance) with no follow on address provided (if you're moving from place to place).

The Canadian companies are more trusting than UK ones for sure.

One thing i am curious about is how do you fit yourselves, 2 dogs, and 3 kids into a hire car?

Surley it'll be more comfortable to hire an RV of some sort for a couple of weeks while you view the areas and make relevant purchases when you find a base?

Sounds like an adventure for sure so good luck and enjoy, whatever you decide
Old Apr 24th 2009, 9:07 am
Just Joined

Fitting us all in a hired car!.... its going to be interesting!
Thinking of buying / hiring a twin cab pick up or simular. Put the dogs in the back in the crates they came over in. We hired an RV last summer in Nova Scotia but didnt really take to it but of course you are right, it makes better sense. Always open to ideas. Thanks everyone for your input. Keep it coming.

Mark
Old Apr 25th 2009, 4:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

chumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond repute

something like a windstar or a dodge caravan or a pontaic montanna these are all vans would suit you fine

we fit 2 huge dog crates plus several humans plus huge amounts of shopping with loads of sapce to spare in our pontiac
good luck
Old Apr 25th 2009, 5:21 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chumley
something like a windstar or a dodge caravan or a pontaic montanna these are all vans would suit you fine

we fit 2 huge dog crates plus several humans plus huge amounts of shopping with loads of sapce to spare in our pontiac
good luck
2 Adults, 3 Kids, 2 Dogs, and i assume 4/5 suitcases plus other stuff.........the last windstar i was in wouldn't fit that lot in comfort for sure, unless they changed the design?
Old Apr 25th 2009, 9:21 pm
Just Joined

Thanks all. I'll look it up and see if we think we can fit. Might toy with the idea of a trailer. This would at least take care of our luggage. Still, the real anwser is finding a rental home near Nelson. If we can do this we would only need an estate car with which to tour and view properties. All input is very welcome. Many thanks.

Mark
Old Apr 26th 2009, 6:32 am
BE Forum Addict

printer has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo
I'm surprised you can get insurance or register a vehicle with no fixed abode. Wonder what would happen if you had a violation ticket sent to the address you no longer reside (hotel for instance) with no follow on address provided (if you're moving from place to place).

The Canadian companies are more trusting than UK ones for sure.

One thing i am curious about is how do you fit yourselves, 2 dogs, and 3 kids into a hire car?

Surley it'll be more comfortable to hire an RV of some sort for a couple of weeks while you view the areas and make relevant purchases when you find a base?

Sounds like an adventure for sure so good luck and enjoy, whatever you decide
Oh don't worry they always find you in the end. Unlike UK where your licence is valid till you're 70 in BC the nice people at ICBC make you renew your licence 2 years after obtaining it and then every 5 years after that. You only have to pay for a replacement no further test is necessary BUT it is at this point they check the system and then inform you of how many violations you may have had and how much you owe in fines. They will not issue a replacement till all fines are paid!!
Old Apr 27th 2009, 7:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Near Colchester, Essex hoping to go to Port Moody, BC
singingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to behold

Is it true that, because you have to start off without any no claims discount, car insurance is very expensive? Friend of ours had to pay £1k in BC a few years ago.
Old Apr 27th 2009, 8:11 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by singingringingtree
Is it true that, because you have to start off without any no claims discount, car insurance is very expensive? Friend of ours had to pay £1k in BC a few years ago.
Insurance in BC is high in general, well compared to what I paid in California and Alberta and thats with their so called discount.
Old Apr 27th 2009, 2:23 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by singingringingtree
Friend of ours had to pay £1k in BC a few years ago.
Expect to pay in the region of $1k with full no claims discount.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.