British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Cannabis (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/cannabis-884227/)

magnumpi Oct 5th 2016 3:17 pm

Cannabis

So I wonder, when will the Lieables legalise this drug and how will they eventually distribute it.

Closing and arresting all those who are trying to get in there first makes me think the LCBO tax it like fk route will be favourite for Mr T to adopt, that's if it ever becomes legal ?

Pot holiday tourism could be a cash cow for Canada, if only they could get fingers out of arses and make it available ASAP, it's been a while now since the Libs gained supremacy in Canada !! :huh:

Not that I will ever be able to smoke it myself due to a heart condition :(

dbd33 Oct 5th 2016 3:21 pm

Re: Cannabis

Originally Posted by magnumpi (Post 12069126)
Pot holiday tourism could be a cash cow for Canada, if only they could get fingers out of arses and make it available ASAP(

Won't it be less available after legalization than now? Presumably there will be some sort of government store, like the LCBO, which opens limited hours. If your stash runs out at 2am on Monday you'll be stuffed until 9; no more calling for someone to bicycle round to your house on demand.

dave_j Oct 5th 2016 4:13 pm

The problem with mood altering drugs is that they do just that.

I have no issue whatsoever with anyone who uses drugs in the safety of wherever, but in a country where you need to drive to get from anywhere to anywhere else, I defy any user to admit that, like the alcohol drinker, they are as safe under influence than not.

I followed a young couple in a truck yesterday. The guy was showing off to his girlfriend by 'snaking' under power along, what is a main highway. He might have been high, but if not then I'd not like to see his driving if he was. I suppose what I'm saying is that I don't trust other road users to keep me safe, especially when it comes to drug use. Personally, I don't drink and drive.

The protagonist might argue that cannabis is legal in some other countries, presumably without problem but https://www.drugabuse.gov/publicatio...affect-driving is worth a read.

scrubbedexpat091 Oct 5th 2016 4:24 pm

Canada should look to places that have legalized it and see how they did it.

WA state and Colorado both seem to have managed fairly well. For 2 North America example of recreational legalization.

I am sure Canada will add in unnecessary layers of government though to the whole thing.

magnumpi Oct 5th 2016 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 12069181)
Canada should look to places that have legalized it and see how they did it.

WA state and Colorado both seem to have managed fairly well. For 2 North America example of recreational legalization.

I am sure Canada will add in unnecessary layers of government though to the whole thing.

Sure they will, if it ever comes into fruition

Oink Oct 5th 2016 7:47 pm

I never seen a country in more need of smoking less dope than Canada. :lol:

magnumpi Oct 5th 2016 9:35 pm

Originally Posted by Oink (Post 12069368)

Yeh agreed but, they should be legally able to stop smoking weed, as promised, don't u think

scrubbedexpat091 Oct 5th 2016 9:46 pm

Originally Posted by Oink (Post 12069368)

I swear half this building smokes pot, cannot go any part of the day without smelling it.

They are not supposed to smoke in the building but with an absentee landlord, nobody here to enforce the rules.

Stuff stinks though, and far stronger smell then tobacco in my view.

Zoe Bell Oct 6th 2016 12:34 pm

I cannot stand the smell. It makes me feel sick
The people upstairs from us used to stand on their balcony and smoke the damn stuff. Awful when we had Windows open.

BristolUK Oct 6th 2016 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 12069456)
I swear half this building smokes pot...Stuff stinks though, and far stronger smell then tobacco in my view.

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell (Post 12069846)
...The people upstairs from us used to stand on their balcony and smoke the damn stuff. Awful when we had Windows open.

Last year I had tenants move out of the upstairs apartment at my duplex and the downstairs guy then told me he used to be bothered by them smoking. Like trains apparently. Yet over two years he'd never said a word to me about it.

Since he'd been there a while and was a good tenant, I agreed to rent the upstairs as no smoking inside. He was okay with this as previous tenants smoked on the front steps and it wasn't a problem.

Within a week of the new couple moving in he was complaining of them smoking.

As is so often the case, people pay little attention to what's in the ad or lease <sigh>and they claimed not to have realised. But they agreed only outside (front steps or their balcony) in future.

But he still kept complaining and they still maintained they didn't smoke inside. One did, however, tell me she smoked cannabis on the balcony.

Maybe this was the reason he complained more than when there were two virtual chain-smokers there.

Pizzawheel Oct 6th 2016 6:02 pm

Topical. The other night sat on the bike in traffic the smog of weed smoke was so thick I was concerned that if the lights didn't change pronto I was going to get stoned.

The today an otherwise businesslike lass at the lights was 3/4 of the way through a nicely rolled blunt.

Oink is right, they need to legalize amphetamines, if not make them compulsory. Not while he's watching his ipad, obvs.

Danny B Oct 6th 2016 11:29 pm

I know that Canadian teens out this way don't seem to have the British 'binge night' mentality. When I was volunteering with the RCMP, 2am 'bar flush' was when all the fights kicked off, meanwhile in a parents basement somewhere in another part of town were a group of lads playing video games, listening to Pink Floyd and smoking a bong.

I know where I would prefer my Son to be.

The amount of weed we used to confiscate was insane, no ticket, no record, just bagged up and destroyed. It's almost legal now in BC providing you only have a small amount on you. Christ just about anyone round here can get a medical marijuana card.

Stinkypup Oct 7th 2016 2:10 am

Originally Posted by Danny B (Post 12070385)
I know that Canadian teens out this way don't seem to have the British 'binge night' mentality. When I was volunteering with the RCMP, 2am 'bar flush' was when all the fights kicked off, meanwhile in a parents basement somewhere in another part of town were a group of lads playing video games, listening to Pink Floyd and smoking a bong.

I know where I would prefer my Son to be.

The amount of weed we used to confiscate was insane, no ticket, no record, just bagged up and destroyed. It's almost legal now in BC providing you only have a small amount on you. Christ just about anyone round here can get a medical marijuana card.

Yes because nothing else quite does hit the spot like good old marijuana :frown:
You know my thoughts on the topic

Danny B Oct 7th 2016 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by Stinkypup (Post 12070431)
Yes because nothing else quite does hit the spot like good old marijuana :frown:
You know my thoughts on the topic

Yes, you would rather Doctor's prescribe highly addictive opioid medication instead of low THC cannabis oil for pain relief.

caretaker Oct 7th 2016 1:20 pm

I don't trust the government to implement anything without screwing it up.

Freshwhyte Oct 7th 2016 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 12069130)
Won't it be less available after legalization than now? Presumably there will be some sort of government store, like the LCBO, which opens limited hours. If your stash runs out at 2am on Monday you'll be stuffed until 9; no more calling for someone to bicycle round to your house on demand.

This is why I think the black market won't be completely put out of business. Convenience is key.

Stinkypup Oct 7th 2016 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by Danny B (Post 12070678)
Yes, you would rather Doctor's prescribe highly addictive opioid medication instead of low THC cannabis oil for pain relief.

I will give you some credit and say that I'm sure you typed that wrongly and you meant to to say "Would you rather prescribe.....? You have absolutely no idea of my prescribing practices and presumption as to how I practice as a doctor is simply guesswork on your part.

Aside from my GP work in the UK, I had extensive training in substance misuse and was one of the three medical officers for the largest residential drug and alcohol centres in Europe. Obviously this covered all the usual suspects, crack, heroin, other opioids crystalmeth ketamine, benzos, the list goes on but also those abusing marijuana and I often encountered drug related psychosis .

I have no huge problem if you want to waste your money on cannabis oil for a bit of a hurtie knee but don't come to me or some other doctor,with pen in hand waving a form to get "snake oil."Me, I would do the more sensible thing and see a physio.

Danny B Oct 7th 2016 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by Stinkypup (Post 12070764)
I will give you some credit and say that I'm sure you typed that wrongly and you meant to to say "Would you rather prescribe.....? You have absolutely no idea of my prescribing practices and presumption as to how I practice as a doctor is simply guesswork on your part.

Aside from my GP work in the UK, I had extensive training in substance misuse and was one of the three medical officers for the largest residential drug and alcohol centres in Europe. Obviously this covered all the usual suspects, crack, heroin, other opioids crystalmeth ketamine, benzos, the list goes on but also those abusing marijuana and I often encountered drug related psychosis .

I have no huge problem if you want to waste your money on cannabis oil for a bit of a hurtie knee but don't come to me or some other doctor,with pen in hand waving a form to get "snake oil."Me, I would do the more sensible thing and see a physio.

Yes it was not directed at you but BC Doctor's in general. There seems to be an opioid crisis in BC right now.

http://www.bcmj.org/presidents-comme...ve-and-support

I know you have strong views on the subject so I won't waste keyboard strokes debating a bottle of oxycontin vs medical marijuana. But you have to admit, that for some people, weed relieves pain. Placebo effect or not.

Freshwhyte Oct 7th 2016 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by Danny B (Post 12070779)
Yes it was not directed at you but BC Doctor's in general. There seems to be an opioid crisis in BC right now.

I know you have strong views on the subject so I won't waste keyboard strokes debating a bottle of oxycontin vs medical marijuana. But you have to admit, that for some people, weed relieves pain. Placebo effect or not.

Not only BC but everywhere in Canada and the U.S....that stuff is pure evil, destroys lives and needs to be banned or be met with significantly more control.

dave_j Oct 7th 2016 4:26 pm

My issue here is one of personal safety and a recognition that there are many out there who refuse to accept that 'soft' drugs, including alcohol and cannabis, alter the thinking process.

There should be no argument that anyone driving a 2 tonne battering ram on a public highway needs to be able to think clearly in order to process information and make decisions in a rational manner, but daily I see evidence of reckless behaviour.

As I have said before, I've no views on the private use of drugs. If you want to kill yourself then go ahead, that's your privilege, just don't do it behind a steering wheel.

I've never understood the social stand on drink and drug driving. In my view causing death, or any other harm, when driving and knowingly drugged should be treated no differently than other crimes involving other weapons.

Stinkypup Oct 8th 2016 2:35 am

Originally Posted by Danny B (Post 12070779)

Originally Posted by Freshwhyte (Post 12070783)
Not only BC but everywhere in Canada and the U.S....that stuff is pure evil, destroys lives and needs to be banned or be met with significantly more control.

I will keep it brief as I am losing the will to live on this. I absolutely agree with the pair of you- I hate oxycodone and similar being doled out like smarties by doctors, I was shocked when I moved jobs over here. I strictly limit my opioids prescribing and regularly drug test. Diversion is a huge problem. Fentanyl has been around for decades. Drug users are playing russian roulette taking drugs cut with it often a synthetised high concentration version drug which often kills.- some people may say no loss :(
I have no control if people smoke cigs, do weed, drink 12 bottles of beer per night, eat Timmies do-nutser dayit is likely to do harm over time but it hacks me off that marijuana has put up as a panacea of all cures because people want to medicalise it's use, for a sore toe, a vague sense of unease or relieving an attack of the colly-wobbles. Sorry Danny, that is simply BS. :thumbdown:

Stinkypup Oct 8th 2016 2:37 am

Originally Posted by dave_j (Post 12070819)
My issue here is one of personal safety and a recognition that there are many out there who refuse to accept that 'soft' drugs, including alcohol and cannabis, alter the thinking process.

There should be no argument that anyone driving a 2 tonne battering ram on a public highway needs to be able to think clearly in order to process information and make decisions in a rational manner, but daily I see evidence of reckless behaviour.

As I have said before, I've no views on the private use of drugs. If you want to kill yourself then go ahead, that's your privilege, just don't do it behind a steering wheel.

I've never understood the social stand on drink and drug driving. In my view causing death, or any other harm, when driving and knowingly drugged should be treated no differently than other crimes involving other weapons.

:goodpost:

dbd33 Oct 8th 2016 2:43 am

Originally Posted by Stinkypup (Post 12071175)
:goodpost:

Specifically as regards alcohol and driving, I don't think it's our place to comment. It's not the done thing in the UK. It is the done thing here. We should accept the cultural difference and not try to impose a foreign view on the local populace. Still, I wish drivers wouldn't fling their empty bottles and cans out of the window, it's a bother collecting them.

Stinkypup Oct 8th 2016 2:54 am

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 12071178)
Specifically as regards alcohol and driving, I don't think it's our place to comment. It's not the done thing in the UK. It is the done thing here. We should accept the cultural difference and not try to impose a foreign view on the local populace. Still, I wish drivers wouldn't fling their empty bottles and cans out of the window, it's a bother collecting them.

You scamp;)

dave_j Oct 8th 2016 4:27 am

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 12071178)

I live here. I have a right to comment.

I drive my grandchildren to school, they have a right to live.

I have a right to drive along a road without being mangled by a truck driven by an idiot who doesn't know what time of day it is because he's stoned.

The 'cultural defense' carries no more weight in canadian courts of law than in the UK.

This is a serious issue and pandering to popular opinion does you no credit.

caretaker Oct 8th 2016 2:57 pm

Re: Prescribed opiates, I wonder how high the percentage of patients getting maintenance doses is who are poly-addicts and take whatever they can get on the black market in addition? If they aren't getting tested and still receiving narcotics, the scrip might not even be half of what they're taking, and they only come to attention when hospitalised.

Stinkypup Oct 9th 2016 1:10 am

Originally Posted by caretaker (Post 12071478)
Re: Prescribed opiates, I wonder how high the percentage of patients getting maintenance doses is who are poly-addicts and take whatever they can get on the black market in addition? If they aren't getting tested and still receiving narcotics, the scrip might not even be half of what they're taking, and they only come to attention when hospitalised.

Usually it is the other way round- our nan gets her percocets prescribed then our Billy swipes a few and flogs them to his mate Gavin.
One of life's questions-Why is it always the sleeping pills or T3s that are "knocked into the toilet or eaten by the poor unfortunate dog"rather than Thyroxine , or laxatives? It must be a really weird coincidence!
:lol:

Zoe Bell Oct 9th 2016 12:54 pm

I accidentally knocked about 20 cipralex down my bathroom sink once :)

caretaker Oct 9th 2016 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by Stinkypup (Post 12071794)
Usually it is the other way round- our nan gets her percocets prescribed then our Billy swipes a few and flogs them to his mate Gavin.
One of life's questions-Why is it always the sleeping pills or T3s that are "knocked into the toilet or eaten by the poor unfortunate dog"rather than Thyroxine , or laxatives? It must be a really weird coincidence!
:lol:

On my block Nan keeps her lock box at someone else's house so the park bears don't get her juice/morphine/oxywhatever. They have ads on tv for Billy and Gavin's nans. One thing I've noticed at work is less evidence of extascy being taken to dances. Factoring in that we have fewer rave type events it's still been a long time and a good sign.

Souvy Oct 9th 2016 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by Stinkypup (Post 12071174)
I will keep it brief as I am losing the will to live on this. I absolutely agree with the pair of you- I hate oxycodone and similar being doled out like smarties by doctors, I was shocked when I moved jobs over here. I strictly limit my opioids prescribing and regularly drug test. Diversion is a huge problem. Fentanyl has been around for decades. Drug users are playing russian roulette taking drugs cut with it often a synthetised high concentration version drug which often kills.- some people may say no loss :(
I have no control if people smoke cigs, do weed, drink 12 bottles of beer per night, eat Timmies do-nutser dayit is likely to do harm over time but it hacks me off that marijuana has put up as a panacea of all cures because people want to medicalise it's use, for a sore toe, a vague sense of unease or relieving an attack of the colly-wobbles. Sorry Danny, that is simply BS. :thumbdown:

My missus was given a prescription for hydromorphane about a decade ago, after fairly major surgery. I saw what the first one did and took the rest away. I kept them in my pocket until I could get them to a pharmacy for destruction.

We had a constant flow of teenagers in our house and they probably knew the street value of those pills. I just got temptation out of the way.

BristolUK Oct 9th 2016 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by Souvy (Post 12072049)
My missus was given a prescription for hydromorphane about a decade ago, after fairly major surgery. I saw what the first one did and took the rest away

As effective as smarties my wife used to say. 9mg x3 daily.

Yet when she fell and cracked a rib and the ER doc gave her a prescription for percocet she took the absolute minimum dose he suggested, less often than he suggested and stopped sooner than suggested. (throwing that in for balance)

Oink Oct 9th 2016 6:04 pm

Originally Posted by Souvy (Post 12072049)
My missus was given a prescription for hydromorphane about a decade ago, after fairly major surgery. I saw what the first one did and took the rest away. I kept them in my pocket until I could get them to a pharmacy for destruction.

We had a constant flow of teenagers in our house and they probably knew the street value of those pills. I just got temptation out of the way.

I had a incident at work and had a bad neck injury and they gave 30mg tabs of morphine sulfate, apart from some initial nausea, it was a wonderful three months off work. :thumbup:

Stinkypup Oct 9th 2016 7:05 pm

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Oink (Post 12072157)
I had a incident at work and had a bad neck injury and they gave 30mg tabs of morphine sulfate, apart from some initial nausea, it was a wonderful three months off work. :thumbup:

There were downsides though, thankfully Oink was fully covered insurance-wise

BristolUK Oct 9th 2016 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by Stinkypup (Post 12072191)
There were downsides though, thankfully Oink was fully covered insurance-wise

I almost had Bristol Cream up my nose then. :rofl:

Danny B Oct 11th 2016 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by Stinkypup (Post 12071174)

Did you see this report today? See my post #14. Low dose THC weed is reported to have health benefits.

UK government finally concedes cannabis has a medicinal effect | The Independent

Stinkypup Oct 12th 2016 2:28 am

Originally Posted by Danny B (Post 12074004)
Did you see this report today? See my post #14. Low dose THC weed is reported to have health benefits.

UK government finally concedes cannabis has a medicinal effect | The Independent

CBD and its potential benefits have been known for years. I think you need to correct your post #14 to read not low dose THC but - containing no THC. The difference is that CBD is a single isolated chemical extracted from marijuana dispensing with the other 70 plus identified chemicals including THC.

This research specifically discusses CBD, not "medical marijuana" (I find that term crass and misrepresentative btw). You were encouraging everyone to get their medical marijuana licences (thanks for that evidence based advice Dr Dr Danny :lol:) with the whole contents of the plant. I can tell you now, the bulk of users of MM seem weirdly drawn to the psychoactive THC and the rest of the other harmful chemicals.

I wouldn't have huge horror in people using isolated/purified CBD, purification done by a licensed pharmaceutical company with chromatography evidence that that is all that is in the product, not produced by "The Bong Factory, High street, Nelson"

caretaker Oct 12th 2016 1:05 pm

I read a couple of reports about these guys over several years leading up to this article while they were still developing it, and wondered why the synthetic wasn't up and running by now? Could it be a business issue and just costs too much?
Israeli scientists create medical marijuana strain that won't get patients high - CBS News

Danny B Oct 12th 2016 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by Stinkypup (Post 12074247)
CBD and its potential benefits have been known for years. I think you need to correct your post #14 to read not low dose THC but - containing no THC. The difference is that CBD is a single isolated chemical extracted from marijuana dispensing with the other 70 plus identified chemicals including THC.

This research specifically discusses CBD, not "medical marijuana" (I find that term crass and misrepresentative btw). You were encouraging everyone to get their medical marijuana licences (thanks for that evidence based advice Dr Dr Danny :lol:) with the whole contents of the plant. I can tell you now, the bulk of users of MM seem weirdly drawn to the psychoactive THC and the rest of the other harmful chemicals.

I wouldn't have huge horror in people using isolated/purified CBD, purification done by a licensed pharmaceutical company with chromatography evidence that that is all that is in the product, not produced by "The Bong Factory, High street, Nelson"

Can you do me up a prescription for one of these please Doc? Jnr Dr Danny will let you all know the results :lol:

Stinkypup Oct 12th 2016 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by Danny B (Post 12074805)
Can you do me up a prescription for one of these please Doc? Jnr Dr Danny will let you all know the results :lol:

Errm I probably wouldn't be the doc to approach :lol:
I love the way that calling it a "Medipen"makes it seem all "medically" scientific. I note that they emphasise that it is organic .. therefore must be healthy :rofl:
I am really uncertain about the benefits/harms of vaping tbh and I was thinking that if CBD had a value then it would be topical only
20% doesn't sound particularly high strength- what is the other 80% ?? Part will be that wonderful pother panacea of all cures, coconut oil but what else?

caretaker Oct 13th 2016 10:37 pm

I don't often see much from the National Post but this was on the local paper's website. The thing at the bottom with some rough stats from across the country is interesting, and the database thing works to find your town.
O Cannabis: The future of marijuana in Canada, and the hazy transition period ahead | National Post