British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Are Canadians as polite as the jokes say? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/canadians-polite-jokes-say-877298/)

Gordon Barlow May 11th 2016 1:38 am

Are Canadians as polite as the jokes say?

*In fact they are. One joke that even Canadians laugh at goes, “How do you get 47 Canadians out of the pool as quickly as possible?” The answer: simply yell, “Get out of the pool!”*
That's an extract from this link:
How to Move to Canada: 9 Points to Consider

Stinkypup May 11th 2016 1:51 am

Re: Are Canadians as polite as the jokes say?

Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow (Post 11944873)
*In fact they are. One joke that even Canadians laugh at goes, “How do you get 47 Canadians out of the pool as quickly as possible?” The answer: simply yell, “Get out of the pool!”*

Were you bored ? Written by a lawyer.... hilarious...:confused:

caretaker May 11th 2016 1:52 am

Point 5, um, that's sort of uninformed. He wasn't so much too conservative as evil incarnate, a psychopathic aberration, and if he'd been closer to the US on some foreign policy issues instead of being such a fascist Canada might have retained it's seat on the UNSC. Imo, of course

Oink May 11th 2016 2:06 am

Originally Posted by Stinkypup (Post 11944878)
Were you bored ? Written by a lawyer.... hilarious...:confused:

"Semi-retired lawyer-journalist" in other words a prat.

scrubbedexpat091 May 11th 2016 2:33 am

Healthcare point seems accurate. Plus and minuses to it. On one hand you dont pay large amounts for basic care and hospital stays but on the other the waits can be frustrating when your waiting months for something and worried.

The remark on prices is pretty accurate.

Gordon Barlow May 11th 2016 2:33 am

BE members without a sense of humour will find this clip unamusing. Real Canadians will of course be too polite to tell me. It's from a popular handyman TV show from some years back.

Stinkypup May 11th 2016 2:42 am

Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow (Post 11944891)
BE members without a sense of humour will find this clip unamusing. Real Canadians will of course be too polite to tell me. It's from a popular handyman TV show from some years back.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5GnBvpFnzA

Oh dear god that is hilarious:rofl::rofl::rofl:
I must be truly blessed with your sense of humour
Now... To dig out some of those fabulous Benny Hill and the Krankies side splitting clips
Fandabidozy :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: Oh I forgot... and the Wurzels

Oink May 11th 2016 3:38 am

I think the joke would be more accurate like this. "How do you get 47 Canadians out of the pool as quickly as possible? You ask them, they tell you to your face they will but then not follow through with it. Then they start moaning about it to all the others"

Gordon Barlow May 11th 2016 4:17 am

Well, maybe times have changed, Oink. My wife and I remember Canada with great fondness from the '60s - and not just because we were married in Toronto in '67. We have never visited the whole country - or indeed every province - but in general we found it a very "Canadian Bacon" kind of place, and I mean that in a nice way.

Dorothy May 11th 2016 4:28 am

No we're ****ing not :sneaky:

Oink May 11th 2016 6:05 am

Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow (Post 11944920)
Well, maybe times have changed, Oink. My wife and I remember Canada with great fondness from the '60s - and not just because we were married in Toronto in '67. We have never visited the whole country - or indeed every province - but in general we found it a very "Canadian Bacon" kind of place, and I mean that in a nice way.

I think you're right. I see glimpses of that when I go to the mid-west like Saskatchewan. A naffing ugly place but the people I've met (admittedly a small sample) seem to be a fairly decent, friendly, supportive and welcoming sort.

Stinkypup May 11th 2016 7:09 am

Originally Posted by Oink (Post 11944954)
I think you're right. I see glimpses of that when I go to the mid-west like Saskatchewan. A naffing ugly place but the people I've met (admittedly a small sample) seem to be a fairly decent, friendly, supportive and welcoming sort.

Yeah but your car gets robbed and wallet nicked at knifepoint....stay safe, stay in Vancouver ;)

BristolUK May 11th 2016 12:38 pm

I have a confession to make.

I find Stuart McLean (the storyteller) quite funny.

Stinkypup May 11th 2016 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 11945193)

I suppose if nothing else, this thread confirms that humour is very subjective...

caretaker May 11th 2016 6:55 pm

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 11945193)

He seems a lot like Garrison Keillor (Lake Wobegone Days) to me, it's the same sort of folksy patter, it's good and most people can relate to that sort of story about an adventure that takes a twist or an odd relative.

plasticcanuck May 11th 2016 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by caretaker (Post 11945515)
He seems a lot like Garrison Keillor (Lake Wobegone Days) to me, it's the same sort of folksy patter, it's good and most people can relate to that sort of story about an adventure that takes a twist or an odd relative.

You should watch A Prairie Home Companion with Garrison Keillor and a great cast. It's a good movie, IMO.

dbd33 May 11th 2016 7:24 pm

The joke is more usually delivered as "say 'Canadians please get out of the pool'", the delivery cited here is clumsy, like the rest of the writing in the article.

Garrison Keillor may be twee but his anecdotes are well honed.

caretaker May 11th 2016 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by plasticcanuck (Post 11945526)
You should watch A Prairie Home Companion with Garrison Keillor and a great cast. It's a good movie, IMO.

I haven't seen it, but he gave a performance in our old club and I sat right in front of him. That would be about 30 years ago. I liked the part in the book about his religious cousin who had a custom car horn made that played the doxology.
Edit: Actually, I had an Uncle Pete and Aunt Emma in Westbrook, Minnesota which I think is right in the middle of Keillor territory. We went there when I was about 13 and it was like small town America had somehow been kept under a dome. Coffee in the Bar and Grill on Main Street was 5 cents.

JamesM May 12th 2016 1:20 am

I find Canadians humorous.

Then their mouths move and the humour turns to disappointment.

JanJoplin May 12th 2016 2:48 am

Come on they are polite!

Oink May 12th 2016 3:34 am

Originally Posted by JanJoplin (Post 11945847)
Come on they are polite!

You're mistaking politeness for timidity.

Dorothy May 12th 2016 3:42 am

Originally Posted by Oink (Post 11945854)

Timidity? Nah, it's passive aggression, ya limey bastard.

Oink May 12th 2016 6:01 am

Originally Posted by Dorothy (Post 11945856)

If they weren't timid their aggression wouldn't be passive. And I'd rather be a limey bastard than a moose ****er. ;)

Dorothy May 12th 2016 7:34 am

Originally Posted by Oink (Post 11945901)
If they weren't timid their aggression wouldn't be passive. And I'd rather be a limey bastard than a moose ****er. ;)

Moose. Tough act to follow ;)

Davita May 12th 2016 9:38 am

One I like is Canadians are so polite when they withdraw cash from an ATM they say "Thank you very much".
Another is 'What's the difference between a Canadian and an American?'...Answer 'A Canadian isn't an American.'

Steve_ May 13th 2016 1:15 am

Originally Posted by Dorothy (Post 11944925)
No we're ****ing not :sneaky:

I had to sit at Coutts POE for two hours and twenty minutes waiting to get to primary inspection a couple of months ago.

I finally make it to the front of the line and the CBSA inspector spent at least two or three minutes apologizing to me.

"Oh I'm so sorry for the delay, we aim to get everyone through in less than a hour, perhaps you should write to your MP, you know we're under resourced, we need more staff, we haven't got time to do the inspections properly..."

After a couple of minutes (the amount of time it took me to remember how to talk because I'd been sitting there so long) I really did come close to saying: "Shut the **** up and let me in the country already!!!"

And everything he said was total crap anyway, all the lanes were open, I doubt they could have done any better. Well except by not wasting time apologizing to everyone.

Dorothy May 13th 2016 2:50 am

Originally Posted by Steve_ (Post 11946796)
I had to sit at Coutts POE for two hours and twenty minutes waiting to get to primary inspection a couple of months ago.

I finally make it to the front of the line and the CBSA inspector spent at least two or three minutes apologizing to me.

"Oh I'm so sorry for the delay, we aim to get everyone through in less than a hour, perhaps you should write to your MP, you know we're under resourced, we need more staff, we haven't got time to do the inspections properly..."

After a couple of minutes (the amount of time it took me to remember how to talk because I'd been sitting there so long) I really did come close to saying: "Shut the **** up and let me in the country already!!!"

And everything he said was total crap anyway, all the lanes were open, I doubt they could have done any better. Well except by not wasting time apologizing to everyone.

On behalf of my fellow countrymen, I can only say sorry about the apologies :unsure:

Shard May 13th 2016 7:34 pm

Originally Posted by Steve_ (Post 11946796)

Maybe he was using some strategy to see if you get nervous. Ask FL...he knows about these things...

Shard May 13th 2016 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by Davita (Post 11946059)
Another is 'What's the difference between a Canadian and an American?'...Answer 'A Canadian isn't an American.'

:rofl:

Gordon Barlow May 13th 2016 8:17 pm

I remember a joke doing the rounds when I worked in Toronto in the '60s. "What celebratory monuments would various nations erect if they ever sent settlers to the moon? Well, France would build a replica of the Eiffel Tower, Britain would build a statue of Winston Churchill, Germany would build an autobahn, America would build a skyscraper, Canada would build... the same as America only smaller..."

Not funny? Ah well, I guess you had to be there.

Oink May 13th 2016 8:47 pm

Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow (Post 11947461)
I remember a joke doing the rounds when I worked in Toronto in the '60s. "What celebratory monuments would various nations erect if they ever sent settlers to the moon? Well, France would build a replica of the Eiffel Tower, Britain would build a statue of Winston Churchill, Germany would build an autobahn, America would build a skyscraper, Canada would build... the same as America only smaller..."

Not funny? Ah well, I guess you had to be there.

I think I read somewhere that if you did a poo on the moon it would not deteriorate and it would still be just as smelly and brown if you visited it years later. I'm not a physical scientist but there are some on this forum who are, so is this true?

Stinkypup May 14th 2016 2:08 am

Originally Posted by Oink (Post 11947487)
I think I read somewhere that if you did a poo on the moon it would not deteriorate and it would still be just as smelly and brown if you visited it years later. I'm not a physical scientist but there are some on this forum who are, so is this true?

Apparently so
History, Travel, Arts, Science, People, Places | Smithsonian

Here is one I made earlier:cool:

JanJoplin May 14th 2016 11:53 pm

Originally Posted by Oink (Post 11945854)

I suppose so but for a lad from Essex, I don't mind the politeness, even if it's fake as ****

Gordon Barlow May 15th 2016 12:03 am

Originally Posted by JanJoplin (Post 11948263)
I don't mind the politeness, even if it's fake.

Me too, though it can be confusing. Here in Cayman, there is deep, deep resentment among the native-born of all expats here (from dozens of countries) - but you would never know it from the courtesy of individuals. We British are (as a species) high on the list of the unwelcome - second only to Jamaicans. Canadians are highly regarded, for some obscure reason!

Stinkypup May 15th 2016 12:12 am

Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow (Post 11948271)
Me too, though it can be confusing. Here in Cayman, there is deep, deep resentment among the native-born of all expats here (from dozens of countries) - but you would never know it from the courtesy of individuals. We British are (as a species) high on the list of the unwelcome - second only to Jamaicans. Canadians are highly regarded, for some obscure reason!

Probably because of their natty dress sense.

JanJoplin May 15th 2016 12:16 am

Originally Posted by Dorothy (Post 11945856)

There is a woman at the center I work at - she is very repressed and she does seem rather passive aggressive. Most are just polite though, not invested but polite.

JanJoplin May 15th 2016 12:17 am

Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow (Post 11948271)
Canadians are highly regarded, for some obscure reason!

It's reputational. Politeness = non offensive like Switzerland

Gordon Barlow May 15th 2016 12:34 am

Originally Posted by JanJoplin (Post 11948283)

Is anybody here old enough to remember The Stan Freberg Show, back in the '50s? On it, inquiries into the nationality of any foreign-sounding character were answered (often in a stage-Mexican accent) with: "Sweess. Zat way we don' offend nobody."

My son - forty years old - has adopted from me that and several other Freberg goodies: "It makes a difference to the sheep", and "I come tru de window", and "Don't stop me now, man, I got to where I like it!" Oh, don't get me started...

dbd33 May 15th 2016 1:15 am

Originally Posted by JanJoplin (Post 11948283)

My children have Swiss and Canadian passports. They don't use the Canadian ones, "too confrontational".

Steve_ May 16th 2016 1:30 am

Originally Posted by Shard (Post 11947432)
Maybe he was using some strategy to see if you get nervous. Ask FL...he knows about these things...

I think his strategy was not to get yelled at, I've never seen a guy with so many big muscles and tattoos look so worried before.