British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Are Canadians as polite as the jokes say? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/canadians-polite-jokes-say-877298/)

Gordon Barlow May 11th 2016 1:38 am

Are Canadians as polite as the jokes say?

*In fact they are. One joke that even Canadians laugh at goes, “How do you get 47 Canadians out of the pool as quickly as possible?” The answer: simply yell, “Get out of the pool!”*
That's an extract from this link:
How to Move to Canada: 9 Points to Consider

Stinkypup May 11th 2016 1:51 am

Re: Are Canadians as polite as the jokes say?

Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow (Post 11944873)
*In fact they are. One joke that even Canadians laugh at goes, “How do you get 47 Canadians out of the pool as quickly as possible?” The answer: simply yell, “Get out of the pool!”*

Were you bored ? Written by a lawyer.... hilarious...:confused:

caretaker May 11th 2016 1:52 am

Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow (Post 11944873)

Point 5, um, that's sort of uninformed. He wasn't so much too conservative as evil incarnate, a psychopathic aberration, and if he'd been closer to the US on some foreign policy issues instead of being such a fascist Canada might have retained it's seat on the UNSC. Imo, of course

Oink May 11th 2016 2:06 am

Originally Posted by Stinkypup (Post 11944878)
Were you bored ? Written by a lawyer.... hilarious...:confused:

"Semi-retired lawyer-journalist" in other words a prat.

scrubbedexpat091 May 11th 2016 2:33 am

Healthcare point seems accurate. Plus and minuses to it. On one hand you dont pay large amounts for basic care and hospital stays but on the other the waits can be frustrating when your waiting months for something and worried.

The remark on prices is pretty accurate.

Gordon Barlow May 11th 2016 2:33 am

BE members without a sense of humour will find this clip unamusing. Real Canadians will of course be too polite to tell me. It's from a popular handyman TV show from some years back.

Stinkypup May 11th 2016 2:42 am

Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow (Post 11944891)
BE members without a sense of humour will find this clip unamusing. Real Canadians will of course be too polite to tell me. It's from a popular handyman TV show from some years back.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5GnBvpFnzA

Oh dear god that is hilarious:rofl::rofl::rofl:
I must be truly blessed with your sense of humour
Now... To dig out some of those fabulous Benny Hill and the Krankies side splitting clips
Fandabidozy :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: Oh I forgot... and the Wurzels

Oink May 11th 2016 3:38 am

I think the joke would be more accurate like this. "How do you get 47 Canadians out of the pool as quickly as possible? You ask them, they tell you to your face they will but then not follow through with it. Then they start moaning about it to all the others"

Gordon Barlow May 11th 2016 4:17 am

Well, maybe times have changed, Oink. My wife and I remember Canada with great fondness from the '60s - and not just because we were married in Toronto in '67. We have never visited the whole country - or indeed every province - but in general we found it a very "Canadian Bacon" kind of place, and I mean that in a nice way.

Dorothy May 11th 2016 4:28 am

No we're ****ing not :sneaky:

Oink May 11th 2016 6:05 am

Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow (Post 11944920)
Well, maybe times have changed, Oink. My wife and I remember Canada with great fondness from the '60s - and not just because we were married in Toronto in '67. We have never visited the whole country - or indeed every province - but in general we found it a very "Canadian Bacon" kind of place, and I mean that in a nice way.

I think you're right. I see glimpses of that when I go to the mid-west like Saskatchewan. A naffing ugly place but the people I've met (admittedly a small sample) seem to be a fairly decent, friendly, supportive and welcoming sort.

Stinkypup May 11th 2016 7:09 am

Originally Posted by Oink (Post 11944954)
I think you're right. I see glimpses of that when I go to the mid-west like Saskatchewan. A naffing ugly place but the people I've met (admittedly a small sample) seem to be a fairly decent, friendly, supportive and welcoming sort.

Yeah but your car gets robbed and wallet nicked at knifepoint....stay safe, stay in Vancouver ;)

BristolUK May 11th 2016 12:38 pm

I have a confession to make.

I find Stuart McLean (the storyteller) quite funny.

Stinkypup May 11th 2016 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 11945193)

I suppose if nothing else, this thread confirms that humour is very subjective...

caretaker May 11th 2016 6:55 pm

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 11945193)

He seems a lot like Garrison Keillor (Lake Wobegone Days) to me, it's the same sort of folksy patter, it's good and most people can relate to that sort of story about an adventure that takes a twist or an odd relative.