Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Canadian Thanksgiving

Canadian Thanksgiving

Old Oct 21st 2021, 10:12 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canadian Thanksgiving

Originally Posted by JamesM
So it transpires it wasn't food poisoning in the end. Last Thursday I was submitted to Mount Sinai for emergency Gallbladder removal. Apparently a gallstone was wedged in and it was in danger of killing me if it moved the wrong way.
Good catch!
Old Oct 22nd 2021, 2:56 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

So it transpires it wasn't food poisoning in the end.

Last Thursday I was submitted to Mount Sinai for emergency Gallbladder removal. Apparently a gallstone was wedged in and it was in danger of killing me if it moved the wrong way.

Whilst I found some of the processes in the hospital frustrating the medical folks were in the main fantastic, kind and caring and I am pleased to say I am now at home making my recovery.

I'm lucky to live in a City with several world class hospitals around the corner.

That is all. Worst Thanksgiving I've ever had but it is usually my favourite long weekend. Oh well- next year :-) !
That sounds a horrible experience.

Glad to hear you are home and doing well.
Old Oct 22nd 2021, 11:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Last Thursday I was submitted to Mount Sinai for emergency Gallbladder removal. Apparently a gallstone was wedged in and it was in danger of killing me if it moved the wrong way.

Whilst I found some of the processes in the hospital frustrating the medical folks were in the main fantastic, kind and caring and I am pleased to say I am now at home making my recovery.

I'm lucky to live in a City with several world class hospitals around the corner.

That is all. Worst Thanksgiving I've ever had but it is usually my favourite long weekend. Oh well- next year :-) !
Wow!! that sounded nasty! and a bit if a close shave.... glad you made it through ok.

I agree...thanksgiving is my favourite long weekend of the year too! as you say.... next year.

Old Oct 22nd 2021, 3:22 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Woah, scary stuff! Thank goodness for good healthcare! Hope your recovery is swift and pain free...

Old Oct 9th 2022, 6:43 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

What's everyone doing for Canadian Thanksgiving?

I like this celebration. It seems less loaded with colonialistic overtones than the US version, it's basically a rebranded harvest festival. Plus, it's doesn't have the emotional weight and the family conflict that often comes with the American version, just check Thanksgiving movies. It's sort of a light breezy holiday but you still get to eat a turkey dinner and because a lot of people have their meal on the Sunday, there's football on the TV with the added bonus of baseball playoffs. I'm cooking a free range, organic, species appropriately fed, certfiable emotionally adjusted turkey and one that comes with a complete detailed historical inventory and provenance for just $120, a bit like a Cabbage Pat doll in the 1980s. I do like the stuffing, mashed potatoes and gravy though. I hope you all have a nice time.

Last edited by Oink; Oct 9th 2022 at 6:46 am.
Old Oct 9th 2022, 12:34 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

The usual "cook from frozen" Butterball Stuffed Turkey, with added cranberry and orange sausage meat non stuffing stuffing.

It's a huge Turkey this time. 8 kilos. We'll be living on it for weeks.
Old Oct 9th 2022, 8:39 pm
Forum Regular

Kingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scrubbedexpat091
From what I found on the google: Celebrates the harvest and other blessings of the past year and apparently has been in existence in some form since 1879 but in 1957 a proclamation by the governor general set it to the current schedule: "A Day of General Thanksgiving to Almighty God for the bountiful harvest with which Canada has been blessed – to be observed on the second Monday in October."
So if Canada was not part of the Commonwealth we would not have had a GG and so we would not have had a day off! God save the KING!
Old Oct 10th 2022, 2:16 am
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

We do SFA on Thanksgiving. Also, seeing as none of my business associates or clients are in Canada, I'll probably work.

I heard a Christmas song on the radio yesterday. That' early even for here.
Old Oct 10th 2022, 4:26 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

We got our turkey dinners from a local restaurant and I cooked Yorkshire puddings to go with. It was fine but could have cooked similarly for cheaper, if only I wasn't so lazy
Old Oct 10th 2022, 5:40 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

I can't believe I forgot parsnips.
Old Oct 11th 2022, 12:19 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I can't believe I forgot parsnips.
No, no, no parsnips. Don't forget the turnips.
Old Oct 11th 2022, 12:24 am
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by Rete
No, no, no parsnips. Don't forget the turnips.
Turnips help make the mash for leftover variations
Old Oct 11th 2022, 2:00 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Turnips help make the mash for leftover variations
Yes, I forgot about that. Also many use the addition of carrots to the turnips to cut down on the bitterness. DH likes to mix his mashed pot with mashed turnips. I like parsnips in my homemade soups but can't get use to the taste as a stand alone veggie.
Old Oct 11th 2022, 5:59 am
BE Enthusiast

abner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond repute

Oops, forgot.

When I asked, curious after this thread was posted, most of my Canadian rellies didn't care too much about Thanksgiving as a holiday. They're either old and retired, so they don't notice it as a day off, especially as the stores stay open now anyway. Or they're young and too busy working through it to make special plans.

It's a minor public holiday between end-of-summer and Christmas, in family terms. Not at all like the American version.

Small sample set, but probably not all that atypical.
Old Oct 11th 2022, 10:56 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

In contrast to the post above, the cradles I know treat Thanksgiving the same way as Americans. People travel to family, often planning to stay over due to distance or anticipated drunkenness. They eat Christmas dinner. Those of an evangelic bent wail their appreciation. I suppose there may be church services though I'm mot aware of anyone I know attending one. There's usually a walk, or horseback ride, in the woods. Overall, I'd say the typical activities on Canadian Thanksgiving are similar to those in the BBC's depictions of a royal Christmas.

It was warm here so I went for a spin and ate left over Thai curry. Good curry, survives re-heating well.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.