Canadian taxes

Old Oct 31st 2011, 8:33 pm
Forum Regular

MADPUPPIES2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Canadian taxes

Can anyone tell me please, my friend hasnt filed her taxes since moving here two years ago as she wasnt sure how to do it. Can taxes only be filed in March April so does she have to wait until then and if I am right will she have penalties to pay for not filing them. Any advice would be great:
Old Oct 31st 2011, 8:40 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canadian taxes

You can file your taxes at any time. Your friend should get them done as soon as possible. If they owe money there will be penalties for late filing and interest on the amount owing. However, if they do not owe tax on filing there are no penalties.
Old Oct 31st 2011, 8:57 pm
Forum Regular

thank you we did ours through hr block, do they do them this time of year or who would they get them done through, a solicitor??
Old Oct 31st 2011, 9:34 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MADPUPPIES2
thank you we did ours through hr block, do they do them this time of year or who would they get them done through, a solicitor??
Not a solicitor, and not H&R Block for the first year in Canada. Find a small local accountant. They will be a bit more expensive than H&R Block (but maybe not much). However, they are likely to get it done correctly.
Old Nov 1st 2011, 12:04 am
BE Troll

Lord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond repute

does anyone else see an add for late tax filing at the bottom of the page? never mind, gone now, but I did see one.
Old Nov 1st 2011, 12:08 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lord Vader
does anyone else see an add for late tax filing at the bottom of the page? never mind, gone now, but I did see one.
It's back again. Effing adverts.
Old Nov 1st 2011, 2:53 am
Forum Regular

Thanks dont you like H&R????
Old Nov 1st 2011, 3:31 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Not the first place I would go, or last come to that.
Old Nov 1st 2011, 4:39 am
Binned by Muderators

It is not that I don't like H&R Block though obviously they are competition so you have to take this into account.

The thing you need to consider is that H&R Block people are trained (very well) to deal with the standard tax filings that regular Canadians do year after year. If you have a T4, some medical expenses, tuition fees, charitable donations, and maybe some RRSP investments then H&R Block will do a great job in filing your taxes.

However if there is anything unusual, such as immigrating during the year, then you are unlikely to be dealing with someone who knows what to do.
Old Nov 1st 2011, 5:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Keith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of light

Can anyone tell me please, my friend hasnt filed her taxes since moving here two years ago as she wasnt sure how to do it. Can taxes only be filed in March April so does she have to wait until then and if I am right will she have penalties to pay for not filing them. Any advice would be great:
I do my taxes online and you can file for 2008, 2009 and 2010 with Turbotax.

http://turbotax.intuit.ca/personal-t...onal-taxes.jsp
Old Nov 1st 2011, 7:01 pm
Yorkshire meets Vegas

Pretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
It is not that I don't like H&R Block though obviously they are competition so you have to take this into account.

The thing you need to consider is that H&R Block people are trained (very well) to deal with the standard tax filings that regular Canadians do year after year. If you have a T4, some medical expenses, tuition fees, charitable donations, and maybe some RRSP investments then H&R Block will do a great job in filing your taxes.

However if there is anything unusual, such as immigrating during the year, then you are unlikely to be dealing with someone who knows what to do.
I entrusted the care of my taxes to HR Block twice. This was because I'm terrible at filing on time, and needed proof that my taxes were up to date.

Both times they filed my taxes incorrectly, and the second time I filed, it delayed reimbursement of my taxes by more than a year. They also managed to lose my paperwork in that time.

I've learnt my lesson and now always file on time, and would never use them again. These experiences were both from using different offices by the way....

I would argue against them being well trained considering the fact that they failed to recognise that I was a new immigrant, meaning that I lost out on a deductible. This should have been fairly obvious to them as at the time I had a 9 starting social security number, and explicitly told them that it was my first year in Canada and my first year of filing.

I'm sure other people's experience of them may differ, but I've only found them to be worse than incompetent.
Old Nov 1st 2011, 8:22 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Keith
I do my taxes online and you can file for 2008, 2009 and 2010 with Turbotax.

http://turbotax.intuit.ca/personal-t...onal-taxes.jsp
I believe that one cannot file the first tax return ever electronically.
Old Nov 1st 2011, 8:27 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Auld Yin
I believe that one cannot file the first tax return ever electronically.
You can still use things like turbo tax though. You can download the PDF, print it and then send it in by post.
Old Nov 1st 2011, 10:08 pm
Binned by Muderators

Can you netfile a return using Turbo Tax this late? E-file, the version professional tax preparers use, is only open between mid February and mid October for the previous year. I have to submit 2010 and earlier tax returns on paper now.
Old Nov 1st 2011, 10:23 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
Can you netfile a return using Turbo Tax this late? E-file, the version professional tax preparers use, is only open between mid February and mid October for the previous year. I have to submit 2010 and earlier tax returns on paper now.
Not sure about turbo tax as I used UFile last year. Their website at least indicates that it supports prior years back to 2000; although I doubt it supports netfiling and probably requires you to download and mail it in yourself. Still, in the OP's position I'd take a look at the on-line tax websites; especially as you don't pay until you want to file so you can find out if it meets your requirements first.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.