Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Canadian Humour Deficit Syndrome

Canadian Humour Deficit Syndrome

Old Dec 10th 2008, 3:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Eastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud of
Default Re: Canadian Humour Deficit Syndrome

Originally Posted by iaink
Oh dear. You've gone native on us.
Well you know what they say , If you cant beat them ........join them
Old Dec 10th 2008, 3:40 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by onlycanada
What do Canadians think of Brits and their apparently random humour?
They don't get British humour.

Of all the serious things I have to worry about regarding emigrating, I have this to worry about now too!
It's okay, you can get by for your first 27 years in Canada. After that you can think about registering for a remedial class.
x
Old Dec 10th 2008, 3:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

clynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to behold

Oh dear. You've gone native on us.
Sorry, it was meant to be ironic. Despite having lived in Canada since age 17 (I'm 44 now), my sense of humour is still 5 time zones east of where I am.

The two shows I listed are Canadian craptastic comedy at their worst.

Throw in some general shows such as Beachcombers, Street Legal, Riverdale, Definition, and you have a pretty dire selection in terms of Can Con.
Old Dec 10th 2008, 3:50 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by clynnog
Sorry, it was meant to be ironic. Despite having lived in Canada since age 17 (I'm 44 now), my sense of humour is still 5 time zones east of where I am.

The two shows I listed are Canadian craptastic comedy at their worst.

Throw in some general shows such as Beachcombers, Street Legal, Riverdale, Definition, and you have a pretty dire selection in terms of Can Con.
Apologies for my irony deficiency..I think I have some pills in the bathroom cabinet for that...

Regarding Canadians and Brit humour... so many canadians have british descendants and rellies, I think they get it more than they let on. There are certainly pockets of canadian TV, like PBS and Vision that cater to the canadian britcom market anyway.

Last edited by iaink; Dec 10th 2008 at 3:52 pm.
Old Dec 10th 2008, 4:07 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh come on Little Mosque, Air Farce are absolute comedic gems.
I think Little Mosque can be quite good at times. The demise of Air Farce is long overdue.

I treated myself to the DVD collection of The Office recently. Sublime. I have a highly developed sense of humour. It takes a lot to make me giggle. The Office reduced me to tears.
Old Dec 10th 2008, 4:17 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

The film 'Hot Fuzz' did the same for me recently. Nothing to do with Canadian humour on any level.
Old Dec 10th 2008, 4:29 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
The film 'Hot Fuzz' did the same for me recently. Nothing to do with Canadian humour on any level.
Thats 'cos its ball achingly funny

I hate to admit it, but I think I prefer the US version of the office. I did download season one of the UK office, and I just find David Brent to be agonisingly embarrassing... I guess I empathise with the people he is inflicted upon too much to find it really laugh out loud funny too often, although it certainly has its moments. I can see why it has a cult following though, its certainly groundbreaking. I just found Extras to be a lot more my cup of tea.
Old Dec 10th 2008, 4:34 pm
Lloydminster AB

kate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
They don't get British humour.

It's okay, you can get by for your first 27 years in Canada. After that you can think about registering for a remedial class.
x
Judy the canadians dont have a sense of humour full stop, we found that out from day 1.
Old Dec 10th 2008, 4:37 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

Originally Posted by kate white
Judy the canadians dont have a sense of humour full stop, we found that out from day 1.
You must know a different bunch of them to me then...
Old Dec 10th 2008, 4:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

clynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Souvenir
I think Little Mosque can be quite good at times. The demise of Air Farce is long overdue.

I treated myself to the DVD collection of The Office recently. Sublime. I have a highly developed sense of humour. It takes a lot to make me giggle. The Office reduced me to tears.
FYI....it is on sale this week at the airplane hangar masquerading as a store for $25 I think (or it maybe labelled as 25$ where you are). That is Season 1,2 and the Christmas special.

My wife finds the Office excruciatingly painful to watch due to the awful characteristics of the main characters (a la Alan Partridge, Saxondale two of my other fave's), but she was a bit choked up at the end of the Christmas special when Tim went off into the sunset with the lovely Dawn Tinsdale.
Old Dec 10th 2008, 4:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Souvenir
The assimilation is almost complete....final question.

Wayne and Shuster...comedic geniuses or utter crap.
Old Dec 10th 2008, 4:51 pm
Lloydminster AB

kate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond repute

You must know a different bunch of them to me then...
I guess so the people here dont talk to people and we found that the only ones who do talk are the english scots and the welsh, if your not canadian they dont want to know. only 2 neighbors will say hi and the other will walk on past unless they want to know your business and I have 2 words for that p&o. maybe when Lloyd gets bigger than a 45 minute drive round the town people will talk more but I doubt it, sad really
Old Dec 10th 2008, 4:52 pm

FYI....it is on sale this week at the airplane hangar masquerading as a store for $25 I think (or it maybe labelled as 25$ where you are). That is Season 1,2 and the Christmas special.

My wife finds the Office excruciatingly painful to watch due to the awful characteristics of the main characters (a la Alan Partridge, Saxondale two of my other fave's), but she was a bit choked up at the end of the Christmas special when Tim went off into the sunset with the lovely Dawn Tinsdale.
Souvette didn't get the first episode at all. I kinda did and realised that it was really an introduction to the characters. She buggered off to another TV while I watched a further three episodes and got the hang of the thing. I persuaded her to come back for another look and she, like me, pi$$ed herself over the appraisal scene. She works in federal government. She can relate.

The Office is, in my opinion, not only very funny but extremely clever in its concept.
Old Dec 10th 2008, 4:53 pm

The assimilation is almost complete....final question.

Dunno. Never seen them.
Old Dec 10th 2008, 5:00 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

I do remember those names from the 60s, so they must have been on Brit TV.

There's a lot of humour in TV ads. I like the Canadian car chase with the cars stuck in snow. There was a good one for beer where the guy was insulting Canada and Canadians, completely oblivious to what was happening around him.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.