Wikiposts
View Poll Results: Canadas oilsands, a ticking environmental time bomb?
Strongly Agree
33.80%
Somewhat Agree
25.35%
Neither Agree or Disagree
15.49%
Somewhat Disagree
9.86%
Strongly Disagree
14.08%
What are oilsands?
1.41%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Canada's Oil Sands

Old Dec 23rd 2008, 3:37 am
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canada's Oil Sands

Originally Posted by jimf
I noticed there are no passenger train services between Calgary and Edmonton but there are flights every 1/2 hour. Addressing these sorts of issues is for government rather than individuals. However, if voters aren't prepared to pay for improvements then no government is likely to advocate such improvements.
I doubt a rail link between Calgary and Edmonton would be profitable, as I wouldn't think there would be enough people using it. If you made it an indirect route there would probably be even less use because driving the route wouls still be quicker.
Old Dec 23rd 2008, 4:01 am

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by CaptainHook
I doubt a rail link between Calgary and Edmonton would be profitable, as I wouldn't think there would be enough people using it. If you made it an indirect route there would probably be even less use because driving the route wouls still be quicker.
A high speed rail link between the two cities has been discussed numerous times and would likely be profitable in the long run. Highway 2 between Calgary and Edmonton is one of the busiest highways in north America so we're told.

I think the scale of such an undertaking would be so expensive as to only ever be contemplated during some very boom times as it would require no grade level crossings. Plus it would have to compete with the current airline links between the two cities
Old Dec 23rd 2008, 4:36 am
BE Forum Addict

jimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond repute

I agree, as things are now I'm sure a passenger train service between Calgary and Edmonton wouldn't be profitable otherwise the private sector would have moved in already to provide the service. The commercial environment must favour flights and cars over trains thats all. It reflects one aspect of why Canadian per capita oil useage is so high.

For Edmonton/Calgary I believe there is a track in place already for freight. Even with a few stops a modern passenger train should be faster than car and also faster than flight for downtown to downtown journeys (over 180 miles or so between the cities). Whether the line could take high speed passenger trains is another matter. Of course without integrated local transport into the suburbs a rail link between the cities has less value.
Old Dec 23rd 2008, 4:46 am
BE Forum Addict

jimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond repute

The Edmonton-Calgary Bullet Train Debate!

http://www.canada.com/calgaryherald/...8-35fb11530df5
Old Dec 23rd 2008, 4:48 am
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Jingsamichty;7077824]As well as ignoring the energy cost of tanker construction, which is not insignificant when you consider the steel production and then the fabrication in the yard, you've also ignored the production of the oil itself in the Gulf, and the transportation from the oilfields to the loading terminal.

It's also a bit disingenuous to attempt to argue against the oilsands on environmental grounds by 'ignoring the occasional Exxon Valdez'. I think most marine biologists would agree that the enormous increase in shipping traffic and associated marine pollution is one of the major problems facing the world today.

Speaking of tankers how about this !
Attached Files
File Type: wmv
TheFrontFellOff.wmv (2.75 MB, 33 views)
Old Dec 23rd 2008, 5:34 am
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimf
Whether the line could take high speed passenger trains is another matter.
High-speed rail lines are incredibly expensive; merely to raise the peak speed by 20-30mph on the West coast main line in the UK has taken a decade and cost billions of pounds.

You really don't want a derailment when your train is packed with passengers at 180mph; and preventing that costs a lot of money. This is why flying generally makes far more sense than trains, if you need to travel hundreds of miles at more than 60mph or so.
Old Dec 23rd 2008, 6:17 am
BE Forum Addict

It looks like various options have been costed including using the existing track or a new route.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-speed_rail_in_Canada

http://highspeedrail.ca/

Although not cheap high speed rail is tried and tested and from an engineering viewpoint nothing radical at all.

West coast main line work has taken years at great expense but is an entirely different scale of work taking an essentially victorian arrangement with large numbers of stations and upgrading for modern high speed trains while keeping the very heavily used route open.

For Edmonton-Calgary it would essentially be a cultural and political decision whether to adopt high speed rail. There wouldn't be cost or technical barriers if the will was there to go for it.
Old Dec 23rd 2008, 6:27 am
Meh

GavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud of

What it really needs is one of the French hi-speed trains with a drive on, drive off capability like the chunnel. Edmonchuck to Calgary in half an hour and the ability to drive away at the other end would get a whole load of cars and freight off the 2.
Old Dec 23rd 2008, 6:52 am
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GavinR
What it really needs is one of the French hi-speed trains with a drive on, drive off capability like the chunnel. Edmonchuck to Calgary in half an hour and the ability to drive away at the other end would get a whole load of cars and freight off the 2.
Years ago there was a jet powered train that ran, well occasionally it was able to make the whole trip, between Toronto and Montreal. It was a total bust. More breakdowns than complete trips. Does anyone remember it. I forget what they called it but it didn't last long.
Old Dec 23rd 2008, 8:25 am
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Simon Legree
Years ago there was a jet powered train that ran, well occasionally it was able to make the whole trip, between Toronto and Montreal. It was a total bust. More breakdowns than complete trips. Does anyone remember it. I forget what they called it but it didn't last long.
Was it the Jet Train
Old Dec 23rd 2008, 9:43 am
Bon Vivant

Was it the Jet Train
That would be too logical. I think it was actually called the Turbo. I remember the deafening roar when they spooled it up at Toronto Union and I was standing on the platform waiting for the GO train.
Old Dec 23rd 2008, 9:50 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Simon Legree
That would be too logical. I think it was actually called the Turbo. I remember the deafening roar when they spooled it up at Toronto Union and I was standing on the platform waiting for the GO train.
The Turbo Train YouTube Turbo Train
Old Dec 23rd 2008, 10:15 am
BE Forum Addict

The Turbo Train........

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UAC_TurboTrain
Old Dec 23rd 2008, 12:04 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Public transport infrastructure spending is likely to be a partial solution to the problems facing our economy at the moment. Who better than GM/Ford/Chrysler to provide the rolling stock for, let's say a Bombardier produced high speed train link? Upgrading existing track and/or laying new, shouldn't be beyond the skills of the many people facing redundancy from the construction industry right now.

It's worth considering seriously and might become more so in the context of an Obama presidency down there.

But to return to the subject of the oil sands (not the subject of oil, that is for another discussion): I've read no posts on this thread which credibly dispute the majority opinion that exploitation is creating an environmental disaster (or my point that based on energy return on energy invested it makes no sense to proceed).
Old Dec 24th 2008, 4:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Public transport infrastructure spending is likely to be a partial solution to the problems facing our economy at the moment. Who better than GM/Ford/Chrysler to provide the rolling stock for, let's say a Bombardier produced high speed train link? Upgrading existing track and/or laying new, shouldn't be beyond the skills of the many people facing redundancy from the construction industry right now.

It's worth considering seriously and might become more so in the context of an Obama presidency down there.

But to return to the subject of the oil sands (not the subject of oil, that is for another discussion): I've read no posts on this thread which credibly dispute the majority opinion that exploitation is creating an environmental disaster (or my point that based on energy return on energy invested it makes no sense to proceed).
It looks like most agree that there are opportunities to reduce oil consumption in north america.

On the other hand...........

I've read no posts on this thread which credibly dispute the minority opinion that exploitation is not creating an environmental disaster (or the point that based on energy return on energy invested it does make sense to proceed)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.