Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Are Canada's immigration targets and numbers sustainable?

Are Canada's immigration targets and numbers sustainable?

Old Jan 17th 2018, 9:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are Canada's immigration targets and numbers sustainable?

My view on this is that the well qualified well educated and employed Canadians probably couldn't care as long there isn't a queue at Tim Hortons in the morning, however, the uneducated, unqualified unemployed do, they see it as a threat to their livlyhoods.
Canada can comfortably expand its cities, even build new cities to accommodate more people in Canada, this in turn would keep the unwashed in employment. Language will always be the biggest hurdle for immigrants, inflation will be the problem for Canadians, once they have cracked this problem, the oyster opens. Skilled immigrants have generally already risen to the top of the food chain in their own country, when they take these skills to Canada, they have greater opportunity.

It is a brain drain for some countries, but a valuable resource for Canada. I recognize this may be uncomfortable reading for some, but it is my view from my ivory tower.
Old Jan 17th 2018, 9:17 pm
Best Place on Earth- LMAO

jandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Shard
That's true, but they wouldn't arrive overnight. 100,000 per year for 30 years...doable?
That's too fast. Public infrastructure and society in general wouldn't catch up. The Lower Mainland increased in population by about 150,000 over a 5 year period (2011-2016) which was faster than the national rate.
Old Jan 17th 2018, 9:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jandro
That's too fast. Public infrastructure and society in general wouldn't catch up. The Lower Mainland increased in population by about 150,000 over a 5 year period (2011-2016) which was faster than the national rate.

Vancouver has its own unique infrastructure problems and land restrictions, you could build another city between Calgary and Edmonton and it would have no impact on either city. Canada generally has room to expand its urban sprawl.
Old Jan 17th 2018, 9:30 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Purleeease...even the Fraser Valley could fit another 3 million people and have plenty of room to spare.
I suppose it depends on your definition of "ample" but the generalization that Canada has a lot more available space that could be easily populated is untrue, I hear this from Americans, "oh Canada has more space", well Canada actually has a higher population density than the US, far more concentration in urban areas and the main reason is the availability of resources, which mainly means fresh water. Which under various treaties is controlled jointly by the US and Canada for the most part, and that limits what Canada can do with it to a great extent.

About a third of the Fraser Valley is in the US plus it's seismically active.
Old Jan 17th 2018, 9:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Vulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
Vancouver has a higher population density than central London.
Vancouver (ie, not the general agglomeration, just the city of 600k, similar to a London Borough) has population density of 5,492.6 people/square km (https://www.statcan.gc.ca/daily-quot.../t001a-eng.htm)

London (ie, all 600 square miles of the agglomeration, not just the central bit) has a population density of 5,491 people/square km (London's population high: Top metropolis facts - BBC News)

So, more like, 'the most densely populated part of Vancouver has a population density that's the average of London'.
Old Jan 17th 2018, 9:35 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Have you seen London bedsits lately ?!

On geography, I meant to add that as Japan's population declines, then some of the residential space is freed up. There was an article recently about the increasing phenomenon of Japanese "ghost houses and villages" where elderly Japanese have to abandon their homes because they can't cope and there is no population regeneration in some rural parts. Isn't their population expected to halve in 50 years? It's some significant figure.
It is but the upside to that (if you see it that way) is that the prefectural government of that area no longer need to provide medical care and welfare services to that ward.

I have personally attended a roadshow where one prefecture was trying to encourage migration from Tokyo through discounted housing and tax breaks. They seemed quite happy to have me and I'm a gaijin (albeit one with a Japanese other half). I can't see them ever taking that kind of campaign overseas though like New Zealand and others do. Japan just doesn't work that way.

A reduction in Japan's population size might not be completely terrible anyway as long as you have the right economic reforms to go with it. It is a massively overpopulated country at the moment, as anybody who has ever taken the Yamanote Line even during off peak hours will testify.

Last edited by DigitalGhost; Jan 17th 2018 at 9:45 pm.
Old Jan 17th 2018, 9:38 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkiechef
Vancouver has its own unique infrastructure problems and land restrictions, you could build another city between Calgary and Edmonton and it would have no impact on either city. Canada generally has room to expand its urban sprawl.
No it doesn't. There already is a city between Calgary and Edmonton, it's called: "Red Deer" and there are tight limits to how much water you can take out of the Red Deer river, because it's the main source of water for agriculture in central Alberta. Especially given the continuing aridification of Alberta and the declining size of the glaciers in the Rockies.

There are already fights going on over taking water out of Lake Superior for example and water use rights in Alberta are a huge issue. Look at how hard it was to get water to the mall in Balzac, that took years and years of negotiation, and that's just a shopping mall.

Last edited by Steve_; Jan 17th 2018 at 9:40 pm.
Old Jan 17th 2018, 9:38 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Don't you just end up with the same shit situation that you have in London when you do that though, with people spending a small fortune on commuting in from the other side of Kent every day?

Toronto already has a massive commuter belt surrounding it and high commuting costs or expensive downtown parking to boot.
Old Jan 17th 2018, 9:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Steve_
No it doesn't. There already is a city between Calgary and Edmonton, it's called: "Red Deer" and there are tight limits to how much water you can take out of the Red Deer river, because it's the main source of water for agriculture in central Alberta. Especially given the continuing aridification of Alberta and the declining size of the glaciers in the Rockies.

There are already fights going on over taking water out of Lake Superior for example and water use rights in Alberta are a huge issue. Look at how hard it was to get water to the mall in Balzac, that took years and years of negotiation, and that's just a shopping mall.
Politics, not impossible to do though. You take water, use it, treat it and return it to the river. I could look to see the population of red deer, but I won't bother, I wonder if it would qualify as a small town in uk, it is still 100 miles to either Calgary or Edmonton. Balzac will be the next burb of Calgary and then it will be Ardrie, the rapid growth along the qe2 is astonishing.
Old Jan 17th 2018, 10:29 pm
Forum Regular

Verdant has a reputation beyond reputeVerdant has a reputation beyond reputeVerdant has a reputation beyond reputeVerdant has a reputation beyond reputeVerdant has a reputation beyond reputeVerdant has a reputation beyond reputeVerdant has a reputation beyond reputeVerdant has a reputation beyond reputeVerdant has a reputation beyond reputeVerdant has a reputation beyond reputeVerdant has a reputation beyond repute

Speaking of water shortages, surely you could build more reservoirs? Most of it gets enough water/snow during the rest of the year.... on a smaller scale we noticed very few water butts while in B.C and lots of people moaning about their dying lawns...
Old Jan 17th 2018, 10:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Shakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond repute

My opinion is that just because I country can expand, that doesn't mean it should.

People are generally emigrating from densely populated countries to less densely populated countries. For all of the advantages that population density brings, I do feel that there is a critical mass of people in which government feels distant, communities don't exist and quality of life decreases.

In my eyes the perpetual drive for endless growth isn't a good thing, and is in fact probably the worst aspect of modern society. If a town has 10,000 people, why does it have to have more? Why do the sparsely populated areas have to be populated.

Surely at a time of dwindling resources, massively negative environmental impacts, warnings of irreversible change. We should be concentrating on reducing our environmental footprint, not infinitely expanding it through population growth.
Old Jan 17th 2018, 10:37 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Politics, not impossible to do though. You take water, use it, treat it and return it to the river. I could look to see the population of red deer, but I won't bother, I wonder if it would qualify as a small town in uk, it is still 100 miles to either Calgary or Edmonton. Balzac will be the next burb of Calgary and then it will be Ardrie, the rapid growth along the qe2 is astonishing.
Red deer has around 100,418 population wise.
Old Jan 17th 2018, 10:45 pm
Sidecar Falcon

Originally Posted by Shakyuk
My opinion is that just because I country can expand, that doesn't mean it should.

People are generally emigrating from densely populated countries to less densely populated countries.
I'm not sure that's completely true. It might be the case for Indians and Europeans moving to the New World economies but most migration that takes place in Asia and Africa is towards the more densely populated countries and megacities.
Old Jan 17th 2018, 10:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

People are generally emigrating from densely populated countries to less densely populated countries. For all of the advantages that population density brings, I do feel that there is a critical mass of people in which government feels distant, communities don't exist and quality of life decreases.

In my eyes the perpetual drive for endless growth isn't a good thing, and is in fact probably the worst aspect of modern society. If a town has 10,000 people, why does it have to have more? Why do the sparsely populated areas have to be populated.

Surely at a time of dwindling resources, massively negative environmental impacts, warnings of irreversible change. We should be concentrating on reducing our environmental footprint, not infinitely expanding it through population growth.
Let us agree to just castrate all men at birth, problem solved, world saved. Last women alive, please turn off the lights!
Old Jan 17th 2018, 10:51 pm
Forum Regular

Verdant has a reputation beyond reputeVerdant has a reputation beyond reputeVerdant has a reputation beyond reputeVerdant has a reputation beyond reputeVerdant has a reputation beyond reputeVerdant has a reputation beyond reputeVerdant has a reputation beyond reputeVerdant has a reputation beyond reputeVerdant has a reputation beyond reputeVerdant has a reputation beyond reputeVerdant has a reputation beyond repute

But surely your move to Canada is adding to just that regardless how marginal and insignificant the impact of a couple of people is? I personally couldn't as an immigrant chasing a dream, climb that ladder and then argue for that ladder to be pulled up behind me as that would be largely hypocritical.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.