Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Canada's hidden travel gems...

Canada's hidden travel gems...

Old Sep 5th 2009, 9:12 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Canada's hidden travel gems...

according to Forbes.com

http://www.forbes.com/2009/09/01/can...ghtseeing.html

Slide show: http://www.forbes.com/2009/09/01/can...ing_slide.html
Old Sep 5th 2009, 9:25 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canada's hidden travel gems...

Tofino is on the list of places I want to go - looks fantastic.

However:

"Tofino is inhabited by artists, explorers and dreamers or tossers as they are known to normal people who have to work for a liviing" says Monica Campbell-Hoppé, of the Canadian Tourism Commission.
Kind of puts me off. Although I'll admit I added the italic bit myself
Old Sep 5th 2009, 9:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

newshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond repute

Yes - quite a few ageing hippies there. Also a fantastic art gallery, not to mention the whale and bear-watching trips.

The old-growth forest hikes are wonderful and I can recommend watching the sun set from the dining room of the Long Beach Inn with an unoaked Okanagan Chardonnay in hand.
Old Sep 5th 2009, 9:45 pm

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Tofino is on the list of places I want to go - looks fantastic.

However:
Kind of puts me off. Although I'll admit I added the italic bit myself
Don't let them put you off.

The Tofino, Long Beach and Ucluelet area is one of our favourite places to visit. We've been back numerous times.

I'd like to go in winter sometime to see the storms.
Old Sep 5th 2009, 10:07 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Tofino looks lovely and I can see why you like it.
That Wickaninnish Inn is a bit spendy though. If I was going to splash that kind of dosh she'd have to be a super model, otherwise its a camper van on the beach and jug of homemade wine.
Old Sep 5th 2009, 10:12 pm

Originally Posted by Oink
That Wickaninnish Inn is a bit spendy though. If I was going to splash that kind of dosh she'd have to be a super model, otherwise its a camper van on the beach and jug of homemade wine.
Yup the Wickaninnish is a bit out of our price range.

We've stayed here http://www.tidesinntofino.com/index.html a couple of times.

The breakfasts are enough to do you for the day.
Old Sep 5th 2009, 10:17 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P
Yup the Wickaninnish is a bit out of our price range.

We've stayed here http://www.tidesinntofino.com/index.html a couple of times.

The breakfasts are enough to do you for the day.
Oh good, I was feeling a bit cheap until you said that.
I'd stay there for a long weekend break but sod going there for a week or more.

The west coast of VI is the one place where I really want to spend some time. The rest of Canada and the US you can keep. [ducks down for the defensive onslaught].
Old Sep 5th 2009, 10:21 pm

Mmmmmmm fresh salmon right off the boat.

Tofino harbour July 2001.
Attached Thumbnails Canada's hidden travel gems...-p7200040.jpg  
Old Sep 5th 2009, 10:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

Oh good, I was feeling a bit cheap until you said that.
I'd stay there for a long weekend break but sod going there for a week or more.

The west coast of VI is the one place where I really want to spend some time. The rest of Canada and the US you can keep. [ducks down for the defensive onslaught].
It has become a bit out of reach for many people except rich tourists. We have stayed there a few years back when the rates were still "very reasonable", but now unless it was a very very special occasion I wouldnt pay it. No ocean view is worth that much to me.

It is a lovely lodge though and the ammenities are wonderful.....
Old Sep 5th 2009, 10:31 pm

Originally Posted by Steve_P
Mmmmmmm fresh salmon right off the boat.

Tofino harbour July 2001.
This is one my mate caught about 10 days ago in English Bay. I still have half of it in my freezer.

Last edited by Oink; Sep 5th 2009 at 10:33 pm.
Old Sep 6th 2009, 11:58 am
BE Forum Addict

newshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond repute

This is one my mate caught about 10 days ago in English Bay. I still have half of it in my freezer.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2627/...0e37bb3ee1.jpg
So when are you inviting us all round for bar-b-q salmon, pray?
Old Sep 6th 2009, 3:24 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

aaahh my kinda guy (obviously referring to the camper and the jug of wine)