British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Canada Post (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/canada-post-935662/)

Revin Kevin Nov 10th 2020 1:00 pm

Canada Post

What are peoples thoughts on Canada Post, have I been unlucky or is this normal?

I posted an item to Toronto on 2nd November at a rural post office in Yorkshire. According to tracking it was in Canada less than 24 hours after posting - so full credit to Royal Mail. Now a week later the latest tracking update, which is now with Canada Post says expected delivery within 3 to 7 working days. Now I know Canada's a big place but it does seem very slow especially considering the destination isn't exactly out in the sticks.

sharkus Nov 10th 2020 1:25 pm

Re: Canada Post

There's other threads about CP during normal conditions, and it can be a bit hit and miss. However, you do need to factor in Covid, as delivery times are being affected by it. I've had things ship from Burlington to Oakville take five or six days to arrive, and things from further afar come within a couple of days. I think they have suspended delivery time guarantees because of covid.

Jerseygirl Nov 10th 2020 1:43 pm

When we lived in New Jersey mail to Toronto often took 3 to 4 weeks (approx 500 miles). While mail from NJ to the UK took 24 to 48 hours. That was pre-COVID.

scrubbedexpat091 Nov 10th 2020 1:56 pm

Canada Post is slow no doubt, often the longest part of a parcels trip is the last leg in Canada.

Mail coming from the US, will often get to Canada within 24-48 hours and then can take upwards of a week to 10 days to go the final leg.

Canada Post is 2 things expensive and generally not efficient although some regional sorting facilities seem better than others.

One reason when I lived near the border and would order from the US vs say a place in Ontario is I could have my item within 2-3 days vs upwards of 10 days and sometimes longer.

BristolUK Nov 10th 2020 4:02 pm

I continue to experience top service standards.
I reckon it's karma :rofl:

Zoe Bell Nov 10th 2020 4:37 pm

Canada post have just contacted me today for further details about the missing package i have with them. I posted it on Sep 21 to Europe . No sign of it.
it was sent airmail and the tracking info has no information other than it being collected from the post office.
It was my first international etsy sale. I'm gutted to have lost the contents

Danny B Nov 10th 2020 4:37 pm

It's thanks to Canada Post that I get a free month of Amazon Prime every time they fail to meet the guaranteed delivery date. Only ever happens with Canada Post, go figure.

scrubbedexpat091 Nov 10th 2020 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by Danny B (Post 12934145)
It's thanks to Canada Post that I get a free month of Amazon Prime every time they fail to meet the guaranteed delivery date. Only ever happens with Canada Post, go figure.

They have been giving me 20% refunds, but then I don't have prime anymore since its basically useless living in Kelowna, takes a week to 10 days with Prime, and non-prime orders are not taking any longer, although lately they have been using Purolator too much for my liking.

But since moving in general my Amazon ordering is down like 80%, without same day and 1 day delivery, no advantage anymore for me to use Amazon.

scrubbedexpat133 Nov 10th 2020 9:29 pm

Royal Mail have a long list of oopsies in my experience. The latest was sending a shirt that I ordered from the UK to China. :blink:​​​​​​

China post helpfully sent it onwards to Canada where it arrived in Vancouver. 10 days later it was delivered to me in Windsor. It took longer to get from Van to Windsor than it did UK to Van via China.

Both a bit rubbish I suppose :rofl:

scrubbedexpat091 Nov 10th 2020 9:50 pm

Originally Posted by Alex2201 (Post 12934255)
Royal Mail have a long list of oopsies in my experience. The latest was sending a shirt that I ordered from the UK to China. :blink:​​​​​​

China post helpfully sent it onwards to Canada where it arrived in Vancouver. 10 days later it was delivered to me in Windsor. It took longer to get from Van to Windsor than it did UK to Van via China.

Both a bit rubbish I suppose :rofl:

I have always said the longest part of the trip for parcels for us when we lived in Vancouver, was the Richmond, BC to Vancouver leg, a mere 15km. :rofl:

Partially discharged Nov 12th 2020 2:05 am

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 12934119)
I continue to experience top service standards.
I reckon it's karma :rofl:

That's because you're living in the centre of the universe...Moncton. :)

MillieF Nov 12th 2020 2:55 am

Originally Posted by Partially discharged (Post 12934794)
That's because you're living in the centre of the universe...Moncton. :)

I am evidently pretty close to Bristol’s centre too! I generally send out an express post, one kilo ish sort of envelope, every day at work and I never have a problem with them...they ‘aren’t going far’ Nova Scotia three times weekly, but last week sent a big wodge of paper at 4 pm from Fredericton and was speaking with the person that I sent it to in Saint John at 10 am the next day who had received it. I think that’s good.

I’ve not missed one month of my BBC Good Food magazine in the 8 years I have been here...looking at Canadian positives, I would put the postal service down as a definite for me :thumbup:

Tangram Nov 12th 2020 4:46 pm

Canada Post sucks, even compared with USPS.

Zoe Bell Nov 12th 2020 5:33 pm

it appears that Canada post may actually have found my package as they actually note it arriving in the destination country , mailed sep 21 , located in europe today

caretaker Nov 12th 2020 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell (Post 12935042)
it appears that Canada post may actually have found my package as they actually note it arriving in the destination country , mailed sep 21 , located in europe today

:thumb: