Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

CANADA IS NOT THE UK!

CANADA IS NOT THE UK!

Old Oct 20th 2013, 5:54 am
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute
Default CANADA IS NOT THE UK!

THIS THREAD IS FOR ALL THE UNGRATEFUL UK EXPATS THAT COME TO CANADA THINKING ITS GOING TO BE IDENTICAL TO THE UK, AND WHEN IT ISN'T BITCH, WHINE, MOAN, WINGE, COMPLAIN, AND THE LIST GOES ON! I GOT NEWS FOR YOU, ITS NOT!

I would like to address the fact that I am SICK AND TIRED of all the whining and moaning that you people do! People who complain that you can't find long spaghetti, and refuse to consider that you might have go to a specialty store to get a specialty item. I have news for you, hot off the press! CANADA IS NOT THE UK! We don't live next door to ITALY. Even the Italians don't complain about this! Whats more is that I know a store that sells this specific item but it's Commercial Drive where the poster did not want to go because of the most ignorant and stupid reason. Just another excuse to complain - if it doesn't exist where it is convenient for them, then that's not good enough.

Then we have people who live in Canada who live, work, build a life here and refuse to go into any grocery stores because our standard isn't up to yours. I stress this, CANADA IS NOT THE UK! Yes, we don't have all the same things, different produce, blah blah blah (more whining insert here) and you have the gaul and tenacity to ship your stuff from the UK? WHY DID YOU LEAVE? WHY DID YOU COME HERE!!?!? If you cant live here, among the Canadian folk, with our obviously horrible according to you standards, then why are you even living here! Go back to the UK - when you have to ship a large percentage of groceries, why bother?!

There is a crowd of people who can't stop bitching about every little thing that is different here. Like...
the cost of cheese
WE GET IT - CHEESE IS MORE EXPENSIVE.
the cost of wine
IT IS MORE - BUT - THERE ARE SOME GREAT CANADIAN WINES AND WINERIES.
lack of culture
There is a lot of culture here. If you whiners just actually poke your head out of your bubble and look.
no good tv
MAKE AN EFFORT AND YOU WILL FIND GREAT SHOWS. TV IS DIFFERENT - EVERYTHING IS CATEGORIZED INTO CHANNELS. DEAL WITH IT.
olympics
YES EVEN WHEN THE OLYMPICS WAS HOSTED HERE ALL A BUNCH OF YOU COULD DO WAS COMPLAIN ABOUT IT.

I would also like to state that I don't like the fact that many of you are more then happy to come here and enjoy the strong economy and make good salaries, while finding every excuse to poke, jab, and whine about things constantly. Is this a way to make you feel superior? There are some people who cannot even tolerate the north american accent. Why are you so afraid of integrating? The jokes are NOT funny, not amusing, just stupid and ignorant - not to mention often completely false.

This thread "Are Canadians the most two-faced people on Earth?" is the most ignorant thing I have ever heard. What a horrible generalization! On most forums a topic with a title like that would be seen as so offensive and would not be tolerated. Why is this acceptable here? Why are you people so mean spirited and xenophobic? Why are you so unwilling to accept anything foreign. Again, if your warped view of the world makes you think that all Canadians are two-faced, then you need to leave. Please go back, the citizens of Canada do not want you.

This forum should be a resource for people who want to live here and converse with other people from the UK who want to live here. Instead it is dominated by a vocal minority, who will push people like this away with the snide remarks and comments.

To the people who do this, and you know who you all are, please if you can't accept the terms and conditions of living here. Then please, by all means, leave. There are people who will take your job and live in your homes, I cannot stress this enough. Others here might tolerate it, but I've had enough, and it's getting offensive. The "2-faced" thread is the final straw.

If you don't want to leave, then learn to appreciate Canada for the way it is. A country with different people, different products, and a different lifestyle and quit complaining about it.
Old Oct 20th 2013, 6:27 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: CANADA IS NOT THE UK!

Feel better for that?.. good..

Old Oct 20th 2013, 6:36 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Oh dear.
Old Oct 20th 2013, 6:40 am
Account Closed

Dave n Ailsa is an unknown quantity at this point

I have been so close to leaving this forum because of the whiners and abusers. So many people have spoken to me outside of BE and said they went on here once but they were put off by all the negative and abusive comments.

We love where we live, and our new lifes in Canada. We love all the differences, it's why we came here!!!

There are people on this forum who seem to resent our happiness, and take every opportunity to try and put us down. But it won't work. you people are part of the reason we came here, to get away from your miserable thoughts and pointless existance.

Perhaps instead of trying to put people off Canada, you should take a look at your own situation, and if you're not happy here, do something positive, or just go back to the UK. And if you are back in the uk because you hated Canada, just why on earth are you still on an expats forum?

This thread will either be shut down, or turn into something really nasty. Hopefully the end result will be a thinning out of the sour-pusses.
Old Oct 20th 2013, 7:14 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dave n Ailsa

I have been so close to leaving this forum because of the whiners and abusers. So many people have spoken to me outside of BE and said they went on here once but they were put off by all the negative and abusive comments.

We love where we live, and our new lifes in Canada. We love all the differences, it's why we came here!!!

There are people on this forum who seem to resent our happiness, and take every opportunity to try and put us down. But it won't work. you people are part of the reason we came here, to get away from your miserable thoughts and pointless existance.

Perhaps instead of trying to put people off Canada, you should take a look at your own situation, and if you're not happy here, do something positive, or just go back to the UK. And if you are back in the uk because you hated Canada, just why on earth are you still on an expats forum?

This thread will either be shut down, or turn into something really nasty. Hopefully the end result will be a thinning out of the sour-pusses.
It's only an internet forum.. and is open to all, whether they are, have been, or never even will be an expat. Wouldn't it really be boring if every thread was only made up of people who loved the life, food, weather wherever they are, it's here for people to put their PERSONAL impressions, thoughts and suggestions.
If someone joins the forum, and posts WITHOUT reading threads of what the specific forum is like, then they are likely to get poor, or unwanted comments, suach as starting a thread in 'The Lounge' with the title 'What do you think of Canada', or not being specific as to what they are looking for.
Yes people will post their negative views, but that may well not mean the don't like where they are, comments about British food wherever in the world people live may well be just because the fancy a particular food at tha time, and if people can help them, then OK.
here will be people moving to other parts of the world who EXPECT that they will be able to get Heinz tomato sauce in any shop, and it's better that they find out the truth before moving.
Old Oct 20th 2013, 7:51 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

OP, can I pls remind you of Rule 1? Challenge others' points of view and opinions, but do so respectfully and thoughtfully ... without insult or personal attack.

This is a public forum, and people are perfectly entitled to moan about whatever they choose without you 'shouting' and attacking them. By linking to specific threads you've made it a personal attack against those posters, which is NOT on.

Take a chill pill, and realise that people here are entitled to their opinions, even if you don't agree with it. The threads you've linked to seem to be jokey threads in TML, so no need to take them so seriously!

Thread closed.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Oct 20th 2013 at 8:13 am.