Canada gets it right

Old Apr 3rd 2018, 10:43 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Canada gets it right

We all have our little moans about how things are done sometimes. And there are those that complain of Canada being too accommodating.

But this is Canada just doing the decent thing.

Afghan woman shot in face builds new life in Canada after US rejection

When she arrived at her new home in Vancouver, Shakila Zareen placed a photo of herself – dressed in yellow with dangling earrings and a matching necklace – next to her bed.

The image reminded her of life before she was forced into marriage, before she had to flee Afghanistan fearing for her life. Most importantly, it captured her as she was before her husband aimed a hunting gun at her face and pulled the trigger.

“The photo is a nostalgic memory of who I was,” said the 23-year-old. “Now I look at myself, my eye is not there, my cheek is not there, my lips are not there, but I have this picture.”
Today I'm happy to be in a country that does the decent thing.
Old Apr 4th 2018, 12:16 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canada gets it right

She is the second woman that has received sanctuary in Canada.

The other happened some years ago, woman doing a Master's degree at UBC in Vancouver went home to Bangladesh for a visit, and her husband gouged her eyes out and otherwise damaged her face.

She and her young daughter (about 5 at the time) were given PR here, had treatment, finished her degree, and has been working.

I think that happened about 6 or so years ago

EDIT:- Here's the update on her from 2017

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/britis...-law-1.4130511

Last edited by scilly; Apr 4th 2018 at 12:23 am.
Old Apr 4th 2018, 2:21 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

The good ol' Canadians also made this girl an honorary Canadian citizen.

She doesn't have any rights or privileges, but the thought was nice.
Old Apr 4th 2018, 8:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, Malala

Isn't she the 6th Honorary Citizen or something like that?