Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Can a non born Canadian become Canadian President?

Wikiposts

Can a non born Canadian become Canadian President?

Old Apr 27th 2011, 10:01 am
BE Enthusiast

brizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Can a non born Canadian become Canadian President?

Originally Posted by JonboyE
That nice Mr Harper is going to put a stop to all that refugee nonsense if he gets a majority.
Whilst I wouldn't go as far as you say Mr. Harper would, a little tightening up of Canada's current refugee system wouldn't go amiss. It's got more holes in it than your average tea bag.
Old Apr 27th 2011, 10:02 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
I think the better question would be, why would anybody who's not Canadian want to?
For the lulz... oh wait, there aren't any.
Old Apr 27th 2011, 7:27 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=immichaelcaine;9330207]i remember readin (inna quebec historie book) dat teh 1st president of canada was indeed not a president or primminister - but get dis - non other then king louis teh 13th of the frenchness. kid U not.

I believe you only too well, our kid has come home telling me all about Christophe Colombe that well known Frenchman! Our local aviation museum is adamant about the Wright Brothers being second in place to a Frenchman, and our kids 'question du weekend' was Why is France the most beautiful country in the World?!!! You can't but help love 'em for that sense of modesty. My husband cannot fly a commercial passenger jet that is registered in France, even though he has European and Canadian ATPL because he wasn't born in France.

What would have happened if Obama hadn't divied up his birth cert? You might think they could have checked earlier, if it was quite so pertinent to the job.
Old Apr 27th 2011, 9:40 pm
BTJ
Occasionally Useful

BTJ is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by MillieF
What would have happened if Obama hadn't divied up his birth cert? You might think they could have checked earlier, if it was quite so pertinent to the job.
It was already checked against the short-form birth cert. before he became President. Apparently Hawaii do not usually release the long-form birth cert, but just keep it in their vaults, but they released it because he asked them to.

Also interestingly John McCain, Obama's Republican counterpart was born in Panama, not in the US. Though he was born in the canal zone which was under US control, which apparently counts as being natural born, though that is surely more contentious than being born in the State of Hawaii.
Old Apr 27th 2011, 10:23 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MillieF
What would have happened if Obama hadn't divied up his birth cert?
He would have carried on being President. Providing the long form birth certificate will make no difference to the birthers, he'll still be black.
Old Apr 27th 2011, 10:39 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
Oh, yes. I recently read a book about the seige of Hong Kong - I hadn't realised it was the first engagement for Canadian forces in WW2. Adrienne and Neville Poy were evacuated as refugees (although it was called a "repatriation" of Canadian government officials, since her father worked for the Canadian govt in Hong Kong, but neither he nor his family had ever been to Canada).

It says something about Canada that two successive Governors General arrived in the country as child refugees.
It also says something, although I'm not sure what, that Canada didn't have a Canadian-born GG until 1952.
Old Apr 28th 2011, 1:11 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
He would have carried on being President. Providing the long form birth certificate will make no difference to the birthers, he'll still be black.
Quite.

There's an excellent editorial in today's Newyorker...

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blog...e-baiting.html
Old Apr 28th 2011, 1:16 am
Banned

immichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to behold

[QUOTE=MillieF;9331111]
Originally Posted by immichaelcaine
i remember readin (inna quebec historie book) dat teh 1st president of canada was indeed not a president or primminister - but get dis - non other then king louis teh 13th of the frenchness. kid U not.

I believe you only too well, our kid has come home telling me all about Christophe Colombe that well known Frenchman! Our local aviation museum is adamant about the Wright Brothers being second in place to a Frenchman, and our kids 'question du weekend' was Why is France the most beautiful country in the World?!!! You can't but help love 'em for that sense of modesty. My husband cannot fly a commercial passenger jet that is registered in France, even though he has European and Canadian ATPL because he wasn't born in France.
awesomely true....evry cultur iz gots a inflating lvl of ethnic-centism ....when me wuz in school in the 1990s me wuz taught about teh greatnesses of "the british empire" & like all its colonie territories and dominions like teh powerful lands ov gibraltar and mauritius......wot a laff !

me remembers me did a school projek 1 time bout teh artica lands and me nattered entirly 'bout dis capitano scott and not at all on that swedish dude adolphson....me teacher gave me x3 goldstars!!!
Old Apr 28th 2011, 1:26 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Quite.

There's an excellent editorial in today's Newyorker...

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blog...e-baiting.html
I don't think that goes far enough. I think CNN, and Anderson Cooper in particular, deserve excoriation for indulging Trump this past week.
Old Apr 28th 2011, 1:29 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think that goes far enough. I think CNN, and Anderson Cooper in particular, deserve excoriation for indulging Trump this past week.
Agreed. Not that I watch CNN.
Old Apr 28th 2011, 1:32 am
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

That seems harsh, I havent watched recently, but in the past Anderson Cooper has made the birthers look like complete tits (not hard, granted) in his bit where that actualy presents some facts.
Old Apr 28th 2011, 1:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

One assumes that you have been watching it though. If (and I accept that it is, although I don't watch North American news myself) it is complete rubbish, why watch it and why get so worked up about it?
Old Apr 28th 2011, 1:46 am
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Agreed. Not that I watch CNN.
We were in America, it's on everywhere. I admit as well to enjoying nutty news coverage in small doses, O'Reilly, Hannity and so on.