Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Can a non born Canadian become Canadian President?

Wikiposts

Can a non born Canadian become Canadian President?

Old Apr 27th 2011, 5:48 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute
Default Can a non born Canadian become Canadian President?

Yes, I've been looking at the fuss going on in the US over Obama's Birth Certificate. Can a Canadian passport holder, who wasn't born in Canada, become the President of Canada? On that point, is there anything else that 'not being born in Canada' bars you from doing?
Old Apr 27th 2011, 5:53 am
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can a non born Canadian become Canadian President?

Originally Posted by MillieF
Yes, I've been looking at the fuss going on in the US over Obama's Birth Certificate. Can a Canadian passport holder, who wasn't born in Canada, become the President of Canada? On that point, is there anything else that 'not being born in Canada' bars you from doing?
well..... apart from the fact Canada is not a presidency....

the head of state is the Queen. She was born in England, and is not a Canadian citizen (except by virtue of the fact that she is the head of state...). Her representative as stand-in head of state is the Governor General. David Johnson, the current one, was born here, but the previous incumbent came to Canada as a refugee from Haiti, aged 11, in 1968.
Old Apr 27th 2011, 6:12 am
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

The governing of Canada is based on the UK Parliamentary system. We have a Prime Minister whose party, having the most seats, runs the country. The Queen is Head of State and represented by a Governor General, acting on her behalf. The Prime Minister would be a Canadian Citizen but not necessarily born in Canada.
To the best of my knowledge there is nothing exclusive of non Canadian born people but Canadian Citizenship would be required for some situations.
Old Apr 27th 2011, 6:18 am
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
well..... apart from the fact Canada is not a presidency....

the head of state is the Queen. She was born in England, and is not a Canadian citizen (except by virtue of the fact that she is the head of state...). Her representative as stand-in head of state is the Governor General. David Johnson, the current one, was born here, but the previous incumbent came to Canada as a refugee from Haiti, aged 11, in 1968.
And the one before that came from Hong Kong.
Old Apr 27th 2011, 6:28 am
BE Forum Addict

jimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond repute

The previous GG had to renounce her French citizenship didn't she?
Old Apr 27th 2011, 6:46 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you all so much - I'm not being totally thick (well not ALL the time) I did know about the PM bit not Pres - it's just been a bit of one of those days! They all are I find at present. I keep coming up with things I don't know about Canada, and then I ask the OH feeling sure he must know....you guessed it!
Old Apr 27th 2011, 7:08 am
Banned

immichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to behold

i rember readin (inna quebec historie book) dat teh 1st president of canada was indeed not a president or primminister - but get dis - non other then king louis teh 13th of the frenchness. kid U not.

louis of french
Old Apr 27th 2011, 7:48 am
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvy
And the one before that came from Hong Kong.
Oh, yes. I recently read a book about the seige of Hong Kong - I hadn't realised it was the first engagement for Canadian forces in WW2. Adrienne and Neville Poy were evacuated as refugees (although it was called a "repatriation" of Canadian government officials, since her father worked for the Canadian govt in Hong Kong, but neither he nor his family had ever been to Canada).

It says something about Canada that two successive Governors General arrived in the country as child refugees.
Old Apr 27th 2011, 7:56 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

It says something about Canada that two successive Governors General arrived in the country as child refugees.
That cradles aren't up to the job?
Old Apr 27th 2011, 8:03 am
BE Enthusiast

brizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to behold

Not really. They were just born abroad and went through Canadian schools etc like other Canadians. It would say something if they had arrived as adult refugees (see other thread on Canadian experience). What does the fact that Canada has never had a non-white, non-male PM say about the Country??
Old Apr 27th 2011, 8:07 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brizzle
Not really. They were just born abroad and went through Canadian schools etc like other Canadians. It would say something if they had arrived as adult refugees (see other thread on Canadian experience). What does the fact that Canada has never had a non-white, non-male PM say about the Country??
I always had my doubts about Kim Campbell.
Old Apr 27th 2011, 8:10 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MillieF
I think the better question would be, why would anybody who's not Canadian want to?
Old Apr 27th 2011, 8:48 am
BE Enthusiast

brizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
I always had my doubts about Kim Campbell.
Hands up, my mistake. I must confess that I have never heard of her and was under the impression that Canada has never had a female PM. Still it was only for 4 months mind.
Old Apr 27th 2011, 9:26 am
BE Forum Addict

jimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, yes. I recently read a book about the seige of Hong Kong - I hadn't realised it was the first engagement for Canadian forces in WW2. Adrienne and Neville Poy were evacuated as refugees (although it was called a "repatriation" of Canadian government officials, since her father worked for the Canadian govt in Hong Kong, but neither he nor his family had ever been to Canada).

Has there been an Aboriginal GG yet?
Old Apr 27th 2011, 9:52 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

, but the previous incumbent came to Canada as a refugee from Haiti, aged 11, in 1968.
That nice Mr Harper is going to put a stop to all that refugee nonsense if he gets a majority.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.