Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Can I have some help on Fish please?

Can I have some help on Fish please?

Old May 17th 2013, 12:59 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can I have some help on Fish please?

I think fish is overpriced in stores. When I didn't have any money and lived at the lake I ate fresh fish day after day after day and now that I'm working, I can't afford to.
Old May 17th 2013, 3:19 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker
I think fish is overpriced in stores. When I didn't have any money and lived at the lake I ate fresh fish day after day after day and now that I'm working, I can't afford to.
That is just dreadful. Why can you not now go back to the same lake and fish?
I generally, in this part of Canada, like the fact that we are closer (except for some veggies) to the place where our food started from....Where is the fish in the stores coming from do you think? I have just found out that where I live we have several vans that arrive on Friday with local produce at various stops, which is pretty good.

SandyIns, thank you so much. I have decided, even with the (to me, perishing cold weather) we are going to the coast on Sunday, and I hope to be able to buy some of the catches of some of the smaller boats...Yes! Many thanks Kijiji, we now have a smoker.
Old May 17th 2013, 9:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond repute

Are there no fishmongers in Fredericton?
Old May 17th 2013, 11:23 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lychee
Are there no fishmongers in Fredericton?
There aren't in Peterborough, unless you include the fish counter in supermarkets. Their stuff isn't bad.

An osprey once dumped a small mouthed bass in our front yard, does that count?
Old May 18th 2013, 1:19 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats

Wow! How amazing! Both the bird's actions..and you knowing what the fish was....well done. I am impressed.

I think fishmongers are a bit of a dying breed.
Old May 18th 2013, 2:47 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Air mail delivery. Keep your eyes open for a stork.
Old May 18th 2013, 2:52 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MillieF
Couple of options here...if it's up to date.
Old May 18th 2013, 3:06 am
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

We don't buy from Superstore as it smells of fish.
Old May 18th 2013, 5:58 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MillieF
Wow! How amazing! Both the bird's actions..and you knowing what the fish was....well done. I am impressed.

Well, it was the man who knew what it was and that it was the off season. Maybe that's why it dropped it?. Usual reasons are that the prey is too heavy or an eagle fought the osprey for it.

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Air mail delivery. Keep your eyes open for a stork.
Haha.

It worries me, well more freaks me out when I see one with a snake. I don't want that dropped anywhere near me.
Old May 18th 2013, 6:19 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Well, it was the man who knew what it was and that it was the off season. Maybe that's why it dropped it?. Usual reasons are that the prey is too heavy or an eagle fought the osprey for it.
This reminds me of a time (a long time ago) when we were hitching around Corsica and found a whole lot of fish skeletons in the maquis right in the middle of the island.

We got the explanation days later when we were at the southern tip of the island and saw water bombers scooping up sea water and flying off to drop it on brush fires in the interior.
Old May 18th 2013, 7:02 am
Oscar nominated

I thought that was the explanation for the frogman
Old May 18th 2013, 9:17 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

I like the fish you can get here; the salmon, for instance, is usually very good. The only exception is ling cod, which isn't that great if (like me) you are expecting it to be like proper cod.
Old May 18th 2013, 10:27 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
I like the fish you can get here; the salmon, for instance, is usually very good. The only exception is ling cod, which isn't that great if (like me) you are expecting it to be like proper cod.
Its a rock fish, much like snapper. That said, it can be very nice if fresh. White chinook salmon is very much like proper cod and is usually cheaper than the red. Localish halibut is also very good but much spendier.
Old May 18th 2013, 2:35 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

OK. One for Oakvillian I think. Or possibly someone equally erudite such as Magnumpi.

It's about fish.

I was watching an old episode of Pie in the Sky on PBS on hour ago and Inspector Crabbe said of a supplier to his restaurant, "His fish is outstanding".

Now It sounds perfectly correct to me and I know that "fish" and "fishes" are both valid plurals of "fish", but shouldn't it have been "are" and if so why not?

I'm assuming Pie in the Sky bought more than one.

Bored, moi?
Old May 18th 2013, 3:28 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
OK. One for Oakvillian I think. Or possibly someone equally erudite such as Magnumpi.

It's about fish.

I was watching an old episode of Pie in the Sky on PBS on hour ago and Inspector Crabbe said of a supplier to his restaurant, "His fish is outstanding".

Now It sounds perfectly correct to me and I know that "fish" and "fishes" are both valid plurals of "fish", but shouldn't it have been "are" and if so why not?

I'm assuming Pie in the Sky bought more than one.

Bored, moi?
Because it scans. Also because 'fish' in this case is used (figuratively?) as a collective noun for the group of things it represents (fish dishes) and collective nouns are usually referred to in the singular.

Last edited by Alan2005; May 18th 2013 at 3:32 pm.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.