camping nova scotia

Old Jun 25th 2007, 11:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

h_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of light
Default camping nova scotia

Hi

Can anyone recommend some good camp sites in Nova Scotia? My definition of good means really scenic, nice private sites, quiet, showers and toilets would be good...dog friendly..near to water to swim....

Location wise I'm thinking possibly on Cape Breton but I'm open to persuasion. I'd also be interested to know if anyone has tried backcountry camping in Keji park too.

Thanks!!
Old Jun 26th 2007, 3:35 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: camping nova scotia

Originally Posted by h_henry
Hi

Can anyone recommend some good camp sites in Nova Scotia? My definition of good means really scenic, nice private sites, quiet, showers and toilets would be good...dog friendly..near to water to swim....

Location wise I'm thinking possibly on Cape Breton but I'm open to persuasion. I'd also be interested to know if anyone has tried backcountry camping in Keji park too.

Thanks!!

We camped in the National Park at Ingonish and Cheticamp. They pack the tents in fiercely tight there and it was very much more Butlitz than we'd expected. Dog friendly, yes, but the next dog is only ten feet away.
Old Jun 26th 2007, 4:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

h_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by dbd33
We camped in the National Park at Ingonish and Cheticamp. They pack the tents in fiercely tight there and it was very much more Butlitz than we'd expected. Dog friendly, yes, but the next dog is only ten feet away.
Ah that's useful thank you. I had printed off information on those campsites as a possibility but dont like the idea of being really close to other ppl..apart from anything the dog wouldn't settle.
Old Jun 26th 2007, 4:25 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Ah that's useful thank you. I had printed off information on those campsites as a possibility but dont like the idea of being really close to other ppl..apart from anything the dog wouldn't settle.
Cape Breton is very dog friendly. Dog in NS pictures attached, one taken on a whale watch tour boat. Charlie, the dog, didn't know what to make of the whales.
Attached Thumbnails camping nova scotia-118_1870.jpg   camping nova scotia-118_1813.jpg   camping nova scotia-118_1852.jpg  
Old Jun 26th 2007, 4:29 pm
OMG - I'm back

nivlad will become famous soon enoughnivlad will become famous soon enough

Hi

Thanks!!
Try Rissers Beach on the atlantic coast it is great, we are there in August along with Graves Island and somewhere near Digby.
Old Jun 26th 2007, 7:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

RodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of light

Hi

Thanks!!

Hi

we camped at Keji last year, we initially booked for 3 nights and stayed for 7 It was beautifull, very clean I would reccomend it to anybody thinking of camping. We also camped at various other sites, Yogi Bear Camp (great for the kids) and Shubi camp site, which was great for hubby job hunting in Dartmouth and visits to Halifax. I'll try and find our photos (we're in the middle of de-cluttering ready for our move to NB so bear with me) and post some for you with links to the campsites.

Rosie

Last edited by RodRos&Co.; Jun 26th 2007 at 8:41 pm.
Old Jun 26th 2007, 8:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

RodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of light

http://http://www.pc.gc.ca/pn-np/ns/kejimkujik/index_e.asp There were other campers with dogs, you can look at a map and book your site which is great as you can be near others or further away. We stayed at Jeremys Bay, so we weren't back country camping although some friends have on numerous occasions and love it.

http://http://www.campjellystone.com/canada/nova-scotia-vacation-rental.html I'm not sure if this is of interest to you, and I also don't know if you can take dogs, sorry.

http://www.shubiecampground.com/ Dogs are welcome here, lovely site very friendly staff, although if I remember rightly there was a charge for the showers.

Wow I've done it
All of these are from Keji, No. 1 is looking towards the lake from our tent,
the 2nd photo is me and OH celebrating my 40th
No. 3 shows how close we were to other campers although there are other pitches where you can't see any other tents.
Attached Thumbnails camping nova scotia-dscn0376.jpg   camping nova scotia-dscn0377.jpg   camping nova scotia-dscn0443.jpg  
Old Jun 27th 2007, 6:46 pm
Immigration Consultant

Paul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Thanks!!
I haven't been there personally but have heard a lot of good reports about the campsite in the National Park at Broad Cove (Cape Breton)
Old Jun 28th 2007, 11:29 am
BE Enthusiast

woodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond repute

Hi ,
depending on when you are planning to go, Rissers can be VERY crowded. They only have a few scenic sites overlooking the beach and the rest of the sites are back in the woods.

Ok, this is not in Cape Breton , but in case you are heading towards Keji, there is one that's less known (across from Keji Adjunct Park) > Thomas Radall Provincial Park in Port Joli
http://parks.gov.ns.ca/parks/thraddall.htm

I had a look at it a few weeks back and the camp sites are spacious, (more privacy than Rissers) although no views over the water, but it is only a short way to the beaches.

Last edited by woodworm; Jun 28th 2007 at 11:33 am.
Old Jun 28th 2007, 11:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RodRos&Co.
http://http://www.pc.gc.ca/pn-np/ns/kejimkujik/index_e.asp There were other campers with dogs, you can look at a map and book your site which is great as you can be near others or further away. We stayed at Jeremys Bay, so we weren't back country camping although some friends have on numerous occasions and love it.

http://http://www.campjellystone.com/canada/nova-scotia-vacation-rental.html I'm not sure if this is of interest to you, and I also don't know if you can take dogs, sorry.

http://www.shubiecampground.com/ Dogs are welcome here, lovely site very friendly staff, although if I remember rightly there was a charge for the showers.

Wow I've done it
All of these are from Keji, No. 1 is looking towards the lake from our tent,
the 2nd photo is me and OH celebrating my 40th
No. 3 shows how close we were to other campers although there are other pitches where you can't see any other tents.
Thanks for all your suggestions and photos dbd and RodRos!!!

Rissers is nice but it's close to home so go there fairly regularly to walk the dog. Think it'll be either Keji or Cape Breton. I'll check out the Broad Cove info.

Do you have to canoe to the Keji sites?..not sure i'd trust the dog in a canoe (at least not in the same canoe as the tent etc.,)
Old Jul 2nd 2007, 7:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks for all your suggestions and photos dbd and RodRos!!!

Rissers is nice but it's close to home so go there fairly regularly to walk the dog. Think it'll be either Keji or Cape Breton. I'll check out the Broad Cove info.

Do you have to canoe to the Keji sites?..not sure i'd trust the dog in a canoe (at least not in the same canoe as the tent etc.,)

Hi

while I was de-cluttering today I found a booklet on Keji, it says you can reach the back country camping by hiking or canoe.

Rosie