Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Camping- near Calgary

Camping- near Calgary

Old Jul 13th 2008, 9:04 pm
Forum Regular

leepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Camping- near Calgary

No worries...Enjoy the tipees!!

We were at Sylvan Lake last weekend on our way back from Edmonton and it was looovely!!! Water is very high at the 'mo.....I'm guessing there must be a campground there??
L
Old Jul 14th 2008, 12:33 am
BE Forum Addict

gryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
ERM
Kananaskis???
Definately kananaskis a bit later but want to find my feet somewhere slightly less bear ridded! Also need to book well in advance for kananaskis!
Old Jul 14th 2008, 12:34 am
BE Forum Addict

gryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by leepee
'Yo Gryph.....

There are loads of places in Kananaskis - but I'm afraid there is wildlife!! Hey this is Canada after all!!! Live a little!!

Anyway, you didn't say it had to be your own tent so have a look at sundancelodges.com ....Stay in your very own Trapper tent or Tipi. I have a very switched on friend who has been there a few times with 2 kiddies same ages as ours and they have always loved it....I know it does get booked up but worth a try....

I know the Provincial Parks sometimes aren't great in terms of facilities but I have never found a private campsite to beat them in terms of setting and space and privacy....

Good luck - let me know if we are going to be neighbours!!??
Leepee

We have just got our own tent so don't think OH would be too chuffed if we pay a load more for someone elses!!!! Sundance does look good though!!!!
Old Jul 14th 2008, 12:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
Is the website of Bow Valley Park Campgrounds working for you (make sure your computer isn't blocking pop-ups).

Bow Valley Campground is located near the Bow River, not far from the intersection of the TransCanada Highway and Hwy #40, which goes to Kananaskis Country.

It's a shorter drive for you than the campgrounds in Kananaskis Country would be, but it's a good staging point for a trip into Kananaskis.

It's a nice campground that has everything on your wish list and more (although I suppose I can't make any guarantees about bears).

Lower Lake Campground (next to Lower Kananaskis Lake) is very nice too, but would involve a slightly longer drive from your place.

When you're ready to venture further afield, there is a nice campground at Chain Lakes Provincial Park, 40 km south of Longview, just off Hwy #22.
x
Thanks for these. Will phone Bow valley on Monday as it does look ideal and a very easy first camp (eg playground , showers etc)

Funnily enough we have been to chain lakes as we stopped there en route to waterton for picninc lunch!!!

Best wishes
Old Jul 14th 2008, 12:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Woodstock62
Hi,

Have you thought of Little Bow? Just a bit further down the 2 from where Judy was talking about and then head east on the 529. A beautiful place with campsites and a day use area. Boating and fishing is allowed.

I don't have the details to hand but they probably have info online.

Enjoy, wherever you go!
Thanks- will bear that in mind!
Old Jul 14th 2008, 12:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by the davis family
Gull Lake northwest of Red Deer is lovely and ticks all the boxes except it may take about a hour and a half from Calgary.

Brewers campground is the unserviced site and it is very nice, we stayed there and found it very relaxing and family orientated.

Here is the link - http://www.campingaspenbeach.com/index.html
Thnaks for this link. It does look nice. SLightly far away for our first camp, but definately thinking about it for a two nighter!
Old Jul 14th 2008, 12:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Troublesome
Mount Kidd is great, so is Eau Claire, although it has less facilities. Can't remember the name, but there's a great campground at the end of route 66 in K country, can't guarantee anything on bears and cougars though. Got em in my garden so can't even offer you that to camp in!

Have heard from everyone that Mount Kidd is great- but have also heard that it gets full withing 1 day of the phone booking opening. Will give them a go still though

Thanks
Old Jul 14th 2008, 12:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Morwenna
Actually, if the thought of bears really disturbs you then you might consider somewhere in central Alberta away from the mountains a bit ....

I've walked in Red Lodge Provincial Park, through the woods along the river there. It looks a well-spaced, treed site with fire pits etc, and though I know they are visited by moose etc, I think Bears would be rarer ......

check it out under this site: http://www.reddeerregion.com/central...ampgrounds.htm

and http://www.town.bowden.ab.ca/tourism.html
Funny you should mention this as it did look good. Will look at provincial park site tomorrow from work and see if it works.

Thanks
Old Jul 14th 2008, 12:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
Well as long as you stay away from Waterton the early part of next week

We saw a grizzly cub in Waterton in May. Think you are practically guarenteed in the fall on red rock road. End of cameron lake , if you can canoe might be the way to go. It was ice when we were there!!!
Old Jul 14th 2008, 3:55 am
BE Forum Addict

rwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond repute

Actually, if the thought of bears really disturbs you then you might consider somewhere in central Alberta away from the mountains a bit ....

I've walked in Red Lodge Provincial Park, through the woods along the river there. It looks a well-spaced, treed site with fire pits etc, and though I know they are visited by moose etc, I think Bears would be rarer ......

check it out under this site: http://www.reddeerregion.com/central...ampgrounds.htm

and http://www.town.bowden.ab.ca/tourism.html
I'll second Red Lodge. Its a great first camp kind of camp ground.
Old Jul 21st 2008, 12:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

OK guys

WE did our first night at Two Jack Lakeside. It was lovely, if a little cold during the nights!!! Great site, as we were in 'walk-in' spaces, so all tents and no RVS ruining the view!!!!

Friends arrived Friday, we arrived Saturday 10am and got a space very close to our friends (the walk-ins, all of 20m I might add are the least popular). Good site with showeres and flush loos. An elk wondered by whilst we washed up!

Kids LOVED it!

Gryph
Old Aug 20th 2008, 10:05 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Resurrecting this thread... we were camping last weekend in Kananaskis, and as were were driving along the Smith-Dorrien Trail, at about 50kph tops, a black bear came bursting out of the woods and right in front of us. I slammed on the brakes, but it was too late and we gave him a right old wallop. He lay completely still on the road for about 30 seconds, and then staggered up, roared and limped off back into the woods.

There was no signal to phone anyone of course, but later on we phoned the rangers who called back that night to say they were out with dogs looking for the bear. Unfortunately there was definitely a significant blood trail for them to follow.

All rather shaken and upset. To be honest, I'd rather have killed the bear outright than watch it stagger off badly hurt.
Old Aug 23rd 2008, 6:06 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Oh my goodness! What a shock .... poor bear, and poor you too!

Isn't that road a gravel trail? I think we went down it once and found it quite hard going....... would be hard to stop quickly too.
Old Aug 23rd 2008, 7:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond repute

Oh my goodness! What a shock .... poor bear, and poor you too!

Isn't that road a gravel trail? I think we went down it once and found it quite hard going....... would be hard to stop quickly too.

You're right Morwenna, it is a gravel trail - it also gets fairly narrow and steep towards the Canmore side. It provides some beautiful views though - unfortunately it's a bit difficult to enjoy these after hitting a bear . Shortly after the bear incident we also saw a coyote casually strolling along the middle of the road!

Apart from the bear incident we had a fabulous weekend and we will ... carry on camping
Old Aug 24th 2008, 3:45 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsDV

Apart from the bear incident we had a fabulous weekend and we will ... carry on camping
Did you hear the outcome yet? Did they find the injured bear?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.