Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Camp Sites/Things to See & Do in BC -

Camp Sites/Things to See & Do in BC -

Old May 11th 2011, 4:37 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Camp Sites/Things to See & Do in BC -

Originally Posted by gillan85
I hear what you say,....but out of interest, what is the equivalent to Butlins in Canada?
Mexico or Cuba are their version of Butlins. Lots of pissed up Canadians for you to harumph at. I'm also guessing you haven't visited a Butlins recently.

What is it with people on here (mainly those who aren't in Canada, sometimes never even visited) who are so hell bent on perceiving the UK and Canada to be both what they are not? They both contain elements of negativity and exceptionalism but not to the extent often suggested.

Gets right on my mantits.
Old May 11th 2011, 4:52 am
Forum Regular

gillan85 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by el_richo
Mexico or Cuba are their version of Butlins. Lots of pissed up Canadians for you to harumph at. I'm also guessing you haven't visited a Butlins recently.

What is it with people on here (mainly those who aren't in Canada, sometimes never even visited) who are so hell bent on perceiving the UK and Canada to be both what they are not? They both contain elements of negativity and exceptionalism but not to the extent often suggested.

Gets right on my mantits.
for information only: have been to Canada, more than once...and if you have mantits then you need to go on a diet.
Old May 11th 2011, 5:12 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

for information only: have been to Canada, more than once...and if you have mantits then you need to go on a diet.
Brilliant

So i guess you haven't been to a Butlins recently then, or stayed in a South American resort frequented by the younger generation of Canadians sampling the delights of the bars and/or the Booze Boats as their yearly holiday

It's amazing how people have such polar opposite generalisations on here with regards to the UK and Canada.

Good luck with your process to move by the way
Old May 11th 2011, 5:15 am
Forum Regular

Brilliant

So i guess you haven't been to a Butlins recently then, or stayed in a South American resort frequented by the younger generation of Canadians sampling the delights of the bars and/or the Booze Boats as their yearly holiday

It's amazing how people have such polar opposite generalisations on here with regards to the UK and Canada.

Good luck with your process to move by the way
Stop Sidestepping....I'm not going to South America, and no have not been to Butlins and don't intend to. thanks for wishing me luck
Old May 11th 2011, 5:16 am
Beep

Oh, and for the OP, i don't recall the actual ground itself but we camped last year in Manning Park, BC. It was great for kids and very nice indeed.

It'll be in here somewhere

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/exp...pgs/ecmanning/
Old May 11th 2011, 5:27 am
Beep

Why sidestepping? Merely pointing out your incorrect generalisations is all.
Old May 11th 2011, 5:33 am
Forum Regular

Why sidestepping? Merely pointing out your incorrect generalisations is all.
and the diet ?
Old May 11th 2011, 5:40 am
Beep

and the diet ?
I don't disagree with you. My 450lbs frame does need reducing, and the previous 60lbs i lost helps but my folds do still smell a bit. Luckily my psychiatrist is helping me come to terms with my glandular issues.

Back on topic, i'm thankful for my size which allows my everyday clothing to provide on the spot camping accommodation. The Canadian family of 7 in Manning Park last year were also thankful after a squirrel stole their tent, especially since they were all pissed up on Molson.
Old May 11th 2011, 6:33 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

I really do not think you can compare Canadian campsites to British Campsites.....amusement arcades. bouncy castles !!! Canadian campsites win hands down for me....Half the reason most want to emigrate on here is to escape British mentality of what they class as entertainment...If it doesnt revolve around drink they are not happy....and no, I am not a teetotaller.
And more the pity. The reason Canadian campsites are they way they is because it's a poorer country. Who wants to sit around doing bugger all while going to the toilet next to your tent? I've seen enough Canadians at water parks and such to know if they could afford proper amenities they'd love them. And as much you might idealize, a country where pick-up trucks account for 50% of vehicles sales is not going to embrace upper-middle class Thoreauvian transcendental sensibilities.
Old May 11th 2011, 6:36 am
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Thought as much !.......thanks Steve_P....I suppose that was what I was getting at
We don't need BUtlins, we have Vegas. All you can eat buffet and booze.
Old May 11th 2011, 6:41 am
Beep

Originally Posted by Kiwilass
We don't need BUtlins, we have Vegas. All you can eat buffet and booze.
Was there recently for some R&R and the strangely positioned fat pouches some people have never fails to amaze me. One woman looked like she was wearing a half deflated rubber ring around her waist under her moo moo.

Bit like this Canadian woman

Old May 11th 2011, 6:42 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Was there recently for some R&R and the strangely positioned fat pouches some people have never fails to amaze me. One woman looked like she was wearing a rubber ring around her waist under her moo moo.

Bit like this Canadian woman

http://www.fwditon.com/attachments/2...513_moomoo.JPG
lordy.
Old May 11th 2011, 6:46 am
Beep

Originally Posted by Alan2005
lordy.
I know. Who wears that socks and shoe combo out in public. Some people are weird.
Old May 11th 2011, 6:50 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

I know. Who wears that socks and shoe combo out in public. Some people are weird.
When I lived in the States a waitress girlfriend of mine said they could always spot the Canadians because of this and then subsequently ignore their table as they don't tip very much.
Old May 12th 2011, 1:18 pm
Forum Regular

dave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheThornes
Hi. We're planning a trip in the summer with the RV in BC. We're planning on taking a couple of weeks or so and doing a circular route taking in such places as Golden, Kimberley, Cranbrook, Creston, Nelson, Penticton, Kelowna, Vernon and Revelstoke etc. Wondered if anyone had any recommendations on camp sites and must see places to visit or things to do.

We're not worried about all singing all dancing campsites (not even worried about hook ups as pretty self sufficient with the RV) but would like sites in or around scenic areas, rivers or lakes etc. Again, with things to see and do, we're interested in natural beauty - any particular stunning lakes, waterfalls etc? We have a couple of children, aged 9 and 5, so anything to get their interest too would be good - any really good tourist attractions?

Any helpful ideas or suggestions appreciated.

Thanks.
I would highly recommend including the route from Revelstoke south to the Finger Lakes, and perhaps stopping at Lochhart Provincial Park, which is on the lake. Maybe travel from Cochrane to Banff, then up the Ice Fields Parkway-lots of nice campsites there-then west on the Yellowhead, stopping at Lucerne Prov. Park, just inside the B.C. border, after that, Mount Robson Prov. Park, then south through Blue River, and after the Finger Lakes, you can head east again through the Kootenays.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.