Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Camera's make the world creepy

Camera's make the world creepy

Old Jun 30th 2015, 12:10 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Camera's make the world creepy

I am okay with camera's when they are being used to simply record an area and only accessed or used when needed such as when someone gets hurt, or a robbery, and so on.

But I find it a little creepy when management sit and actively watch the camera's and then call if you go to the bathroom and they don't see you and grill you as to why you were gone.

Do people have nothing better to do then spy on their employees?

I find this modern world a tad too creepy these days with the eye in the sky everywhere.
Old Jun 30th 2015, 12:19 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Camera's make the world creepy

Originally Posted by Jsmth321

I find this modern world a tad too creepy these days with the eye in the sky everywhere.
do you have a cell/smart device that can take pictures or moving images?

Some folks have those dash cams, even home monitoring cameras, its never ending - the world has gone mad

Have you noticed the number of folks with smart phones constantly taking pictures of something, even strangers?

What about the cameras in public places, stores, banks, gas stations, on the street... you get the idea?

For the security cameras at your place of work, well I suppose the employer is just protecting their investment - imagine you are the person behind the monitor

Last edited by not2old; Jun 30th 2015 at 12:23 pm.
Old Jun 30th 2015, 1:15 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by not2old
do you have a cell/smart device that can take pictures or moving images?

Some folks have those dash cams, even home monitoring cameras, its never ending - the world has gone mad

Have you noticed the number of folks with smart phones constantly taking pictures of something, even strangers?

What about the cameras in public places, stores, banks, gas stations, on the street... you get the idea?

For the security cameras at your place of work, well I suppose the employer is just protecting their investment - imagine you are the person behind the monitor

There is protecting an investment and there is creepy spying, no need to follow people and time their bathroom breaks, people can't be expected to work 8 hour shifts alone without using the bathroom, the fact they expect employees to work without a break to begin with is just wrong, but legally allowed through a loophole.

I don't have a cell phone, I had one but I never used the camera to film or record people, again doing things like that is downright creepy if you haven't asked the person to do so.

I also do not have a dash cam, find no use for the silly things.

I have a camera at home but it's off majority of the time, its only used when nobody is home to keep an eye on the dog to try and figure out how she gets out of her crate, it would never be on when we are home or if someone else was in the apartment.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Jun 30th 2015 at 1:18 pm.
Old Jun 30th 2015, 5:37 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Tell your boss to F.O.
Old Jun 30th 2015, 6:25 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Shard
Tell your boss to F.O.
I've never met them. Suppose I could hold a sign up saying it facing the camera..

It's a very recent thing of watching and calling for every little thing, good lord do they have nothing better to do?

I just find the whole thing creepy, camera's should record and footage reviewed as necessary when something calls for it to be viewed, not to be used as live entertainment.
Old Jun 30th 2015, 6:37 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

You should watch this guys videos, he's not creepy....

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x28epbm_surveillance-camera-man-2_creation
Old Jun 30th 2015, 7:12 pm
Account Closed

That guy is indeed creepy, not sure I'd assault him while he was recording though like some did, why provide the evidence of an assault?

Suppose based on those videos he he doing nothing legally wrong since it's all in public, but creepy and weird, dude needs a new hobby.
Old Jul 1st 2015, 2:14 am
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

I also do not have a dash cam, find no use for the silly things.
Today is the second time someone has tried to pull into the side of me since I bought my dashcam. In both cases, it looks like I was in their blind spot, where they couldn't easily see me, and I couldn't see them indicate, though they did the usual Canadian 'indicate as I'm pulling over' thing so it may not have helped.

In future, I'll be a lot more careful about that. Today I'd slowed down to let the car in front of them pull over into my lane, and I could have done so behind the other car if I'd thought about it beforehand.

Also, now, when someone is tailgating me stupidly, I no longer think 'what an idiot', I think 'Youtube'. Had one yesterday, but I think his brain was just fried by the smoke, so I'm not going to upload it.
Old Jul 1st 2015, 5:26 am
Account Closed

vanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond repute

I think Google Glasses would be even creepier.
Old Jul 1st 2015, 7:00 am
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarkG
Today is the second time someone has tried to pull into the side of me since I bought my dashcam. In both cases, it looks like I was in their blind spot, where they couldn't easily see me, and I couldn't see them indicate, though they did the usual Canadian 'indicate as I'm pulling over' thing so it may not have helped.

In future, I'll be a lot more careful about that. Today I'd slowed down to let the car in front of them pull over into my lane, and I could have done so behind the other car if I'd thought about it beforehand.

Also, now, when someone is tailgating me stupidly, I no longer think 'what an idiot', I think 'Youtube'. Had one yesterday, but I think his brain was just fried by the smoke, so I'm not going to upload it.
Since they are relatively inexpensive now, I can see four dash cams required. one on the front dash, back window & one on each side of the passenger windows & maybe one in the sunroof of the vehicle, making it a 5th one.

I think every house/apartment should have a dash cam type device mounted pointed towards any door that has an access point to your place.

Maybe at work if you have a desk job, you could have one powered with a plug in power adaptor mounted on a filing cabinet, clipped to your computer, or even one of those 'head cams' strapped around your head.

Go totally bonkers to record everything around you.

I wonder for the OP if his boss would be OK with the OP wearing a recording device or camera on him or maybe having a smart phone on that would be recording every conversation or video imagery??
Old Jul 1st 2015, 11:09 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by not2old
Since they are relatively inexpensive now, I can see four dash cams required. one on the front dash, back window & one on each side of the passenger windows & maybe one in the sunroof of the vehicle, making it a 5th one.

I think every house/apartment should have a dash cam type device mounted pointed towards any door that has an access point to your place.

Maybe at work if you have a desk job, you could have one powered with a plug in power adaptor mounted on a filing cabinet, clipped to your computer, or even one of those 'head cams' strapped around your head.

Go totally bonkers to record everything around you.

I wonder for the OP if his boss would be OK with the OP wearing a recording device or camera on him or maybe having a smart phone on that would be recording every conversation or video imagery??

You jest, but the other day I went to the tip (dump) and the council worker had a cam attached to the front of his chest.
Old Jul 1st 2015, 11:21 am
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

sharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond repute

I am okay with camera's when they are being used to simply record an area and only accessed or used when needed such as when someone gets hurt, or a robbery, and so on.

But I find it a little creepy when management sit and actively watch the camera's and then call if you go to the bathroom and they don't see you and grill you as to why you were gone.

Do people have nothing better to do then spy on their employees?

I wonder what would happen if the camera "accidentally" stopped working, say, oh I don't know, tape was put across it, or the power pulled?

I'd say that the management is a little creepy and has nothing better to do, and perhaps is trying to find something, anything with their surveillance to allow them to fire the employee.

I can see some point in dashcams, given some of the idiots on the roads here, and it's always handy to have some kind of back up should they argue it's not their fault.

I do use the camera on my cellphone, but it's for taking pictures of my son when we are out on trips, I'm not some idiot selfie whore, nor have one of those ridiculous selfie sticks.

As for Google Glass, a good experiment to show how people feel about this tech, and how entitled some thing they are "I'm going to give your establishment a bad review because you asked me politely to remove my glass" then cue their "friends" who haven't even been to the place giving bad reviews too.

Last edited by sharkus; Jul 1st 2015 at 11:25 am.
Old Jul 1st 2015, 11:25 am
Yo

Originally Posted by sharkus
I wonder what would happen if the camera "accidentally" stopped working, say, oh I don't know, tape was put across it, or the power pulled?

I'd say that the management is a little creepy and has nothing better to do, and perhaps is trying to find something, anything with their surveillance to allow them to fire the employee.

I can see some point in dashcams, given some of the idiots on the roads here, and it's always handy to have some kind of back up should they argue it's not their fault.
I've heard of cams being installed in offices too. However in JS's case I think he should rebel. Put things in the way of the lens or unplug it. Although might first be good practice to speak to the management and express resentment at being monitored.
Old Jul 1st 2015, 12:49 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Shard
I've heard of cams being installed in offices too. However in JS's case I think he should rebel. Put things in the way of the lens or unplug it. Although might first be good practice to speak to the management and express resentment at being monitored.
I am just going to resign and leave the job entirely. My back always hurts from the work stations at the counter being far too low for me, and the stress the place causes isn't worth it. Doctor agrees that it's not healthy work environment, and best to leave.

You cannot imagine how high the turn over is, and the complaints are not just from me, everyone has the same issues, but nothing is done about it, sometimes it's better to leave a job then to keep stressing over it and hating every moment your at work.

In the last week about 1/2 the staff have either given notice or walked out.
Old Jul 1st 2015, 2:09 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

I film people every day, nothing creepy about it at all, to me it's normal to video tape complete strangers.

If u take cctv video footage, for example, that footage documents many people in one day, none of which gets seen, usually, unless there is an incident within its proximity, then the video gained becomes an essential tool for the Police

The use of cams in JS case is a little disturbing I must agree on. When a cctv camera become a tool to destroy a persons life or work environment then maybe take the screens away and just document activity for future reference

Last edited by magnumpi; Jul 1st 2015 at 2:13 pm.