British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Calgary vs Ottawa (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/calgary-vs-ottawa-693884/)

delsol79 Nov 17th 2010 3:52 pm

Calgary vs Ottawa

OK I know this question is totally subjective but I thought it might generate some interesting comments I can use when deciding.

So I am pursuing two job options at the moment. One in Calgary and one in Ottawa. I have spent three days in each city so not a great amount of time but get the obvious differences..

If you had the choice and were immigrating now - which city would have the greater appeal factor? Married with 9 month old daughter and a better quality of life is what we are after.

Cheers :)

iaink Nov 17th 2010 4:03 pm

Re: Calgary vs Ottawa

Ottawa for me, but I can see some appeal in either place, from my perspective neither is a bad place to end up so there is no right or wrong answer.

geo4 Nov 17th 2010 4:37 pm

I have the misfortune to have to visit Calgary on business from time to time. The word "sterile" springs to mind.

dollface Nov 17th 2010 5:17 pm

Ottawa very pretty, good access to Montreal and Toronto. Tis a tad boring though after a while - depends what you're looking for, but would still choose it over Calgary (although never lived in Calgary). Although I would probably pick UK over both.

Keith Nov 17th 2010 6:35 pm

From Ottawa you have far more interesting places to visit Montreal is a 2 hour drive, Toronto 4 hours and New York City 8 hours. I take seaside vacations in Maine 8 hours away and we have some excelent winter resorts withing a few hours drive, we even have a good training hill in the city.

I came here in 1963 and never left.

I have visited Calgary and found it a pretty remote location. OK for cowboys.

delsol79 Nov 17th 2010 7:51 pm

lol surely there must be some pro Calgary comments coming.. I guess they come around 2 hours later? :)

iaink Nov 17th 2010 7:54 pm

Originally Posted by delsol79 (Post 8987822)
lol surely there must be some pro Calgary comments coming.. I guess they come around 2 hours later? :)

Yep, or whenever Steve P wakes up anyway:D

Novocastrian Nov 17th 2010 9:33 pm

Originally Posted by delsol79 (Post 8987822)

I expect that the New Calgarians (and of course Steve) will be along soon, but as a neutral (GTA resident) I'd certainly favour Ottawa over Calgary.

Much better strip clubs.

ducktastic Nov 17th 2010 10:31 pm

[QUOTE:Much better strip clubs.[/QUOTE]

and music...

she is D, delirious
she is I, incredible
she is S, superficial
she is C, complicated
she is Ooooo

Sorry couldn't resist the cheesy Ottawa hit of the early 80's :lol:

dollface Nov 17th 2010 10:32 pm

Originally Posted by ducktastic (Post 8988274)
and music...

she is D, delirious
she is I, incredible
she is S, superficial
she is C, complicated
she is Ooooo

Sorry couldn't resist the cheesy Ottawa hit of the early 80's :lol:

:eek::rofl: That was OTTAWAN

ducktastic Nov 17th 2010 10:34 pm

Originally Posted by dollface (Post 8988276)
:eek::rofl: That was OTTAWAN

Oh yes!!!! Ha ha ha ha...doh!!! Marvellous, should lay off the pop before I post! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

dollface Nov 17th 2010 10:35 pm

Originally Posted by ducktastic (Post 8988279)
Oh yes!!!! Ha ha ha ha...doh!!! Marvellous, should lay off the pop before I post! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

:rofl::rofl::rofl: bad song too:eek:

ducktastic Nov 17th 2010 10:37 pm

Originally Posted by dollface (Post 8988281)
:rofl::rofl::rofl: bad song too:eek:

Yes not nearly as good as the classic 'hands up, baby hands up, give me your heart'!

Anyway apologies OP for taking this so randonly and incorrectly off thread! :lol:

gryphea Nov 17th 2010 10:38 pm

we live in calgary. I would never consider Ottawa because of the skiing! I have heard its nice city though.

Lots of interesting places to visit within a 7 hr drive of Calgary. we have been all over (OK so a lot of it to ski resorts..........), but still lots of good places. Not big cities though

dollface Nov 17th 2010 10:44 pm

Originally Posted by gryphea (Post 8988290)
we live in calgary. I would never consider Ottawa because of the skiing! I have heard its nice city though.

Lots of interesting places to visit within a 7 hr drive.

They ski there:lol: tremblant not too far away, couple hours - Mont Saint Marie not too bad either - on a smaller scale - Camp Fortune, Mont Cascade, Eidlesweiss, Vorlage, Calabogie and Pakenham on the door step. Then there's NY, Lake Placid about 3 hours and Vermont similar distance.