Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Calgary ski sale questions

Calgary ski sale questions

Old Oct 23rd 2009, 3:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

gryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond repute
Default Calgary ski sale questions

So OH is thinking of going to this tonight- he won't have much time there so he needs to be focussed! Can anyone tell me how the skis are arranged ? Do shops have stalls? Or is everything lumped together?

We only want skis and have very specific models in mind.

OH wants a ski that only came out last year. Is there any chance he will get it there?

Anyone know how long the queue to pay will be?

Gryph
Old Oct 23rd 2009, 5:25 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Calgary ski sale questions

If its anything like the TO show the shops have stalls, and the Ski patrol "swap" stuff will have its own area.

Can you puy tickets online in advance like you could the TO show?

Most of the ski patrol stuff is basically new, but last year or the year befores stuff at much reduced prices. There is a reasonable range of product, so you may find what you are after.

I made out like a bandit ...good luck!
Old Oct 23rd 2009, 5:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gryphea
So OH is thinking of going to this tonight- he won't have much time there so he needs to be focussed! Can anyone tell me how the skis are arranged ? Do shops have stalls? Or is everything lumped together?

OH wants a ski that only came out last year. Is there any chance he will get it there?

Gryph
The one year that I went we waited about 30 mins to get in the building. All the ski's are just laid out in size order and there were no stalls, its in a huge arena. There were many brand new last years models, that had just not sold, but they go quickly.

It reminded me of a jumble sale, and you have to make your mind up quickly, or at least grab the pair you are thinking about as someone will just dive in and grab them in front of you.

I think there were only about 2 cash machines where you can pay and we waited about 50 mins until we got to the cash register.

Definitely some great bargains to be had. If tonight is the opening night it will be swamped, but this is where you find the best deals. By the last night there will be slim pickings.

Good luck!
Old Oct 23rd 2009, 5:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gryphea

Gryph
Also to add, if you know someone in ski patrol that helped out at last nights organising session. They might be able to tell you if the model you are after was there and where to locate it.
Old Oct 24th 2009, 12:11 am
BE Forum Addict

gryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks guys

He has been and is on his way home empty handed!! But at least he tried. He says there were few new skis this year (or at least what we wanted).

We were specifically after Volkl AC50s (him), one of Dynastar Exclusive powder , Volkl Attiva Aurora , Nordica Conquera or Rossingnol voodoos SC80s (me). Also kids ski 110-115.

No kids skis less than 120 and those 120s were used and over $100. We spent $100 on good quality new K2 skis last year for daughter so the kids skis seemed pricey.

Will carry on trawling the US sites for bargains!

He will at least be back in time for the Stamps game he's off to tonight!

Smelly- hope new place is good. Had swine flu (well I'm pretty sure it was- it was fairly miserable) after we came round- so didn't call you back, in fact didn't get the message for a while. Felt bad about it.

Gryph
Old Oct 27th 2009, 1:10 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, Thats dissapointing. The Toronto show was teeming with kids skis of all sizes. I paid $100 for virtually brand new Salomon Xwing fury (110) for #1 offspring, and the same for lovely lightly used pink Rossi "Princess" (90) for the little one...

Most of the adult skis seemed to be either Atomic or K2, with a few other brands. Hopefully the Atomic Nomads (Deep Red) I got will do me well for now.

Plus my mail ordered Roces expandable boots finaly arrived in the mail today Bring on the snow!

Last edited by iaink; Oct 27th 2009 at 1:12 pm.
Old Oct 27th 2009, 6:37 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Might be worth checking this one out instead? (Nov 7-8th)

http://www.canwestshows.com/snowshow..._showinfo.html
Old Oct 27th 2009, 10:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by iaink
Wow, Thats dissapointing. The Toronto show was teeming with kids skis of all sizes. I paid $100 for virtually brand new Salomon Xwing fury (110) for #1 offspring, and the same for lovely lightly used pink Rossi "Princess" (90) for the little one...

Most of the adult skis seemed to be either Atomic or K2, with a few other brands. Hopefully the Atomic Nomads (Deep Red) I got will do me well for now.

Plus my mail ordered Roces expandable boots finaly arrived in the mail today Bring on the snow!
I think Atomic Nomads will be fine!

Might well go to snow show , really want to actually look at a skiers edge, just out of interest really!

Thanks