Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Calgary- ideal yard faces which direction?

Calgary- ideal yard faces which direction?

Old Jan 28th 2008, 6:15 pm
Just Joined

joanne40 is a jewel in the roughjoanne40 is a jewel in the roughjoanne40 is a jewel in the roughjoanne40 is a jewel in the roughjoanne40 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Calgary- ideal yard faces which direction?

Hi
We currently have a west facing garden and it was unbearably hot last summer. We couldn't eat out hardly at all and up till about 5pm you couldnt even really go out there. Also the house was so hot and even opening all the doors and windows as soon as we got up didn;t cool the house down. It was gorgeous however come the autumn when we could still sit out in the afternoon. We are just about to move and this house has a east facing garden so not sure how that is going to work as we love the sun!!
Old Jan 28th 2008, 8:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

gryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond repute

OK, Still slightly confused. It does appear that most feel south facing yard is too hot, coupled with likely north facing driveway. It seems west facing can be too hot. Does no-one have those awningey things for the summer? Our houses currently has a south facing driveway and north facing yard and the sun does stream in the windows facing the front, and it would be such a shame to have to block off the windows in the summer. So it looks like maybe south-east or east-south-east may be a good option. I guess it also depaends on the proximity of other houses and length of garden. I think a deck area at the edn would be nice, and so it depends how high the sun is etc

Keep the answeres coming- its very interesting!
Gryphea
Old Jan 28th 2008, 8:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Our back garden is West facing, we have big windows at the back and 2 sets of patio doors - the previous owner found it so hot they installed those plantation shutter thingies, at least I think that's what they're called... big pvc slatted shutters like these that fold back. Using those last summer meant we rarely turned the air conditioning on at all. Okay, you don't see the garden for 4mths but hey The sun leaves our patio at around 7:30pm-ish in summer, the neighbour has tall willow trees that block it after that.

We will get an awning at some point, it really was too hot to sit out otherwise.

The front is fine to shovel in the winter.
Old Jan 28th 2008, 8:49 pm
Yorkshire meets Vegas

Pretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond repute

I have a west facing back yard that gets unbearably hot in Summer. I had birthday party in August where I put candles out at night for some extra light. They didn't end up getting used, and by the time I'd got up to salvage them they'd melted.

Overall I love my house, but I'd prefer that the front was west and the back faced east. Downstairs is pitch black throughout the Winter, and I'm sure it would definately benefit from later day sun...
Old Jan 28th 2008, 9:21 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by joanne40
Also the house was so hot and even opening all the doors and windows as soon as we got up didn;t cool the house down.
Could you not leave the windows open all night?
Old Jan 28th 2008, 10:14 pm
Just Joined

joanne40 is a jewel in the roughjoanne40 is a jewel in the roughjoanne40 is a jewel in the roughjoanne40 is a jewel in the roughjoanne40 is a jewel in the rough

We did but that didn't make any difference as there didn't seem to be any breeze during the hottest 6 weeks