Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Cadbury(s) does it again this time ruining Xmas.

Cadbury(s) does it again this time ruining Xmas.

Old Dec 24th 2016, 2:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Cadbury(s) does it again this time ruining Xmas.

As its that time of year perhaps 1 or 2 BE members might be purchasing or receiving a tin/box of Cadbury Roses to snack on over the festive season.

Well be prepared for a shock. The company has changed the wrappers from sweetie-style twist-wraps to uniform “flow wraps” that have to be torn, rather than twisted, open.
OK #2016 I could just about take Brexit, Trump, all the dead musicians, the Euros ... but changing the wrappers on Roses? Final straw baby!

After being established in 1824 Cadbury's became one of the UK's most successful companies. It operated in over 50 countries and became one of the best known British brands. It has held Royal warrants from both Queen Victoria and Elizabeth II.

So what has happened to this once great British company?
In its earlier years it merged with J. S. Fry & Sons. In 1969 it merged with Schweppes and in 2010 the company sold its soul to Kraft Foods who are now known as Mondelez International who are a US owned company. Needless to say its all gone downhill since.

In 2003, Cadbury dropped the 's' from its name and renamed the brand to Cadbury.

From a tweet
They've made all the Roses the same shape. And I'm colourblind. Worst year ever.
The company has already faced the wrath of traditionalists after rounding the corners on Dairy Milk bars, substituting a cheaper chocolate for Dairy Milk in its Creme Eggs and stopping production of its chocolate coins. At least the new wrappers can’t be screwed up and put back in the box, which, according to some fans, is the ultimate sin:
In 2011 a tub of Roses went from 975g to 850g, in 2015 it moved down to 777g and when the new tub was released it went to 748g.

Well Cadbury Im now pledging my allegiance to Quality Street. At least the Swiss still know how to make chocolate.
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeands...anges-wrappers
Old Dec 24th 2016, 2:30 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cadbury(s) does it again this time ruining Xmas.

OMG is nothing sacred today !!! Is it because it's PC to have every flavour in a similar wrap, someone must have complained that some flavours have a better wrap than others and all must be equal during the holiday period of holiday time seasons gifting day festivities
Old Dec 24th 2016, 2:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

In a statement, the company said: “As a result of a multimillion pound investment in manufacturing, consumers will see a much-improved level of quality. We appreciate there’s some nostalgia for the twist wrap but quality must come first and we know consumers will appreciate the steps we’ve taken to protect each favourite and keep them fresh.”
At the time of the relaunch, Cadbury’s Tony Bilsborough said the company had changed the wrappers because “the quality of twist wrap was just not up to scratch”. He added: “Time and again we were getting complaints that the twist wrap was becoming undone, or the entire wrapper itself was appearing empty in the box.” It was the No 1 complaint, he said.

Kin hell a multi million pound investment to change the wrapper?
Old Dec 26th 2016, 6:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Shakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond repute

The Cadbury's thing is typical of the UK. Anything that is good is eventually sold to a foreign company, most often American.

I see it so often in engineering, an American corporation comes in, buys a company for it's patents and clients. Sacks everyone, closes the company in the UK and takes manufacturing to Asia and assembly to the US. It's a shame so many British prefer to quick quid.
Old Dec 26th 2016, 9:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

I heard about something to do with Cadburys from friends in the UK over a Skype chat this morning. Apparently all the chocolates taste different from what they used to taste like. And my friends said something about the Roses wrappers as well (about the twisting thing).

As an aside: is it me or is it really the case that similar brands in the UK (like aero) etc taste quite different (yuk!) here? Before these recent Cadbury(s) changes I mean.

S
Old Dec 26th 2016, 9:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Teaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Snowy560
I heard about something to do with Cadburys from friends in the UK over a Skype chat this morning. Apparently all the chocolates taste different from what they used to taste like. And my friends said something about the Roses wrappers as well (about the twisting thing).

As an aside: is it me or is it really the case that similar brands in the UK (like aero) etc taste quite different (yuk!) here? Before these recent Cadbury(s) changes I mean.

S
Sweets n general have been on a downhill slide since the caramel in Rolos was changed a few years back. It seems as though British Cadbury's (I can't say it without the s although it is apparently officially dropped) doesn't taste any better than the version on this side of the Atlantic anymore.

I've never thought the Mars etc taste any different here, but I don't like Aeros so I don't know about them

The plague of palm oil seems to be gradually ruining chocolate, I've even had to give up on the travesty that chocolate oranges gave become.

Never thought I'd say this, but I struggle to find chocolate worth eating anymore.
Old Dec 26th 2016, 9:55 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Peppermint Aeros, Cadbury Fruit and Nut, After Eights, Mars...they all taste as good as ever to me.
Old Dec 26th 2016, 10:17 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shakyuk
The Cadbury's thing is typical of the UK. Anything that is good is eventually sold to a foreign company, most often American.

I see it so often in engineering, an American corporation comes in, ......
Or German, or French, or Indian, or Chinese or ..... It's no wonder British manufacturing is in the crapper - whenever a company gets big enough to develop a global presence it is sold to the highest bidder.
Old Dec 26th 2016, 10:33 pm
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

I'm happy, Santa brought us each one of these -
British- I just had the "Finger of fudge is good enough to give your kids/pups a treat"

It was scrummy!
Attached Thumbnails Cadbury(s) does it again this time ruining Xmas.-20161226_150036.jpg  
Old Dec 26th 2016, 10:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stinkypup
I'm happy, Santa brought us each one of these -
British- I just had the "Finger of fudge is good enough to give your kids/pups a treat"

It was scrummy!
Wasn't the song "A finger of fudge is just enough to give your kids diarrohea"?!
Old Dec 26th 2016, 10:52 pm
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tootlepootle
Wasn't the song "A finger of fudge is just enough to give your kids diarrohea"?!
Not in my innocent childhood...
Old Dec 26th 2016, 11:05 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shakyuk

I see it so often in engineering, an American corporation comes in, buys a company for it's patents and clients. Sacks everyone, closes the company in the UK and takes manufacturing to Asia and assembly to the US. It's a shame so many British prefer to quick quid.
That is a phenomenon. Maybe it's because Britain is too wedded to history and tradition to make the changes required in a globalized world. Using the Cadbury example (not ideal, but...) the changes to wrappers haven't happened here despite the commercial sense, because the British management are too wedded to tradition, and the way have things have always been. Similar argument for the third runway, decades of discussion and another decade or two more until the country finally builds something China would build in a month.
Old Dec 27th 2016, 1:16 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
...Using the Cadbury example (not ideal, but...) the changes to wrappers haven't happened here...
Maybe I'm missing your point but chocolate bar wrappers have changed in appearance and design a lot over the years.
Almost all choc bars had very thin foil and then a paper sleeve but they changed to an all in one wrapper decades ago.

Same for things like Sherbet Fountains.

Not to mention brand name changes like Marathon to Snickers and Opal Fruits to Starburst.
Old Dec 27th 2016, 1:36 am
I need a walk

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Maybe I'm missing your point but chocolate bar wrappers have changed in appearance and design a lot over the years.
Almost all choc bars had very thin foil and then a paper sleeve but they changed to an all in one wrapper decades ago.

Same for things like Sherbet Fountains.

Not to mention brand name changes like Marathon to Snickers and Opal Fruits to Starburst.
And you can't suck the sherbet up the stick of liquorice any more
I still call them Opal fruits
Old Dec 27th 2016, 1:47 am
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by Stinkypup
And you can't suck the sherbet up the stick of liquorice any more ...
Snortng white powder wasn't really my thing but I was partial to chewing baccy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.