Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

CAD to GBP Exchange Rates!

CAD to GBP Exchange Rates!

Old Mar 30th 2016, 3:18 pm
Just Joined

Lorna J is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: CAD to GBP Exchange Rates!

We are in the process of selling our UK house so I am hoping it will go back to $2 in the next few months, but I doubt is Although UK house prices are pretty good right now so i should'nt moan too much!!!!
Old Mar 31st 2016, 4:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorna J
We are in the process of selling our UK house so I am hoping it will go back to $2 in the next few months, but I doubt is Although UK house prices are pretty good right now so i should'nt moan too much!!!!
Cant you leave the money in a UK bank account until the pound inevitably goes back up again?
Old Mar 31st 2016, 4:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

paw339 has a reputation beyond reputepaw339 has a reputation beyond reputepaw339 has a reputation beyond reputepaw339 has a reputation beyond reputepaw339 has a reputation beyond reputepaw339 has a reputation beyond reputepaw339 has a reputation beyond reputepaw339 has a reputation beyond reputepaw339 has a reputation beyond reputepaw339 has a reputation beyond reputepaw339 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd
Cant you leave the money in a UK bank account until the pound inevitably goes back up again?
I don't think you can definitely say the pound will go up again.

If the UK votes to stay in the EU I personally expect the pound to bounce back up at least temporarily; but with a persistent large current account deficit the pound has got to be vulnerable in the long term (with low oil prices and a spend heavy liberal government the CDN dollar is vulnerable as well).

Trying to time the market is always difficult sometimes the safest thing to do is split the transfer. You won't get the best rate but you also shouldn't get the worst.
Old Mar 31st 2016, 4:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paw339
I don't think you can definitely say the pound will go up again.

If the UK votes to stay in the EU I personally expect the pound to bounce back up at least temporarily; but with a persistent large current account deficit the pound has got to be vulnerable in the long term (with low oil prices and a spend heavy liberal government the CDN dollar is vulnerable as well).

Trying to time the market is always difficult sometimes the safest thing to do is split the transfer. You won't get the best rate but you also shouldn't get the worst.
I suppose its a crap shoot, I must say i am not as in touch with what going on in the UK economy as i used to be, i was under the impression things were slowly improving though.

As for Britain leaving the EU, no one really knows what will happen if they leave, its a gamble of course, and it will be a while before the potential pros/cons are discovered.

However, it was exactly the same concerned hand wringing when Britain opted out of joining the single currency, there were no shortage of doubters, but that actually turned out to be a very wise decision.

One thing is for sure though, I agree that the Canadian dollar will stay down for quite a while yet.
Old Mar 31st 2016, 8:10 pm
Banned

veggies is an unknown quantity at this point

The pound going back up comment up thread made me giggle, that is like saying the CAD $ is going to go back to anything closer to par or beyond like we saw in 2003-2004