Buying an ex grow-op

Old Jan 31st 2012, 3:57 am
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Buying an ex grow-op

Can someone (or preferably several of you) comment on the purchase of houses that were grow-ops?

I have seen a few now on Realtors sites and also on mls and there seems to be some of disagreement about them.

The prices are attractive and being a sceptic I assume there must be some good reasons why.

What are the drawbacks of these properties?

Can they be a good buy?

Should they be avoided at all costs, as I have seen advised by one ex-realtor?

If they are so bad, why are they still able to sell them?

Do different sales/purchase rules apply to them?

Are insurers wary of them?

I am interested in this as some people I have met here have a house which they have been very happy with which was apparently a grow-op some time ago, so people do buy them eventually.

I have seen one or two comments on threads but I have never managed to piece together the full picture about these properties.
Old Jan 31st 2012, 4:10 am
BE Forum Addict

macadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buying an ex grow-op

I would pass....mould & dampness would be my main concern. I suppose the length of time the house has been used for this purpose would be a major factor....and most insurance companies (I am informed) won't touch them. Short of pulling off the drywall etc, you can't be sure of the condition of the house. I would steer clear. If the price for such a house seems to good to be true....it probably is!
Old Jan 31st 2012, 4:11 am
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Some info here: http://blogtorontorealestate.ca/unca...-or-apartment/

What happens is that the plants are heated by grow lights and watered continuously to make them grow bigger and faster. This produces abnormally high levels of humidity which settles in the cooler spots in the homeā€¦ in the gap behind the drywall just inside of the outer walls of the home. Mould flourishes in this environment and can become toxic to future habitation.
Old Jan 31st 2012, 4:12 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by helcat12
Can someone (or preferably several of you) comment on the purchase of houses that were grow-ops?

I have seen a few now on Realtors sites and also on mls and there seems to be some of disagreement about them.

The prices are attractive and being a sceptic I assume there must be some good reasons why.

What are the drawbacks of these properties?

Can they be a good buy?

Should they be avoided at all costs, as I have seen advised by one ex-realtor?

If they are so bad, why are they still able to sell them?

Do different sales/purchase rules apply to them?

Are insurers wary of them?

I am interested in this as some people I have met here have a house which they have been very happy with which was apparently a grow-op some time ago, so people do buy them eventually.

I have seen one or two comments on threads but I have never managed to piece together the full picture about these properties.
Personally I would not even give an ex grow op a second thought, I would stay well clear. I don't need to go looking for trouble, it comes and finds me all by itself.

http://www.cbc.ca/marketplace/2010/g...r_up/main.html
http://www.calgaryinspections.com/ca...r-grow-op.html
http://www.home-inspectors.com/growop.htm
Old Jan 31st 2012, 4:36 am
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aviator
Personally I would not even give an ex grow op a second thought, I would stay well clear. I don't need to go looking for trouble, it comes and finds me all by itself.
I wouldn't even give it a first thought ! Not even for a fleeting moment.
Old Jan 31st 2012, 9:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Geordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Think you need to avoid it like the plague from the sounds of it.

How common are Grow Ops out of interest?
Old Jan 31st 2012, 9:27 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

There was a Holmes on Homes episode about a lady who had unbeknownst to her, rented her house out to someone who used it as a grow op. The place had to be completely rebuilt - problems with damp, mold, electrical hook up, structural alterations etc etc. Personally, I'd run far away from such an opportunity.

EDIT: Some info on the HOH episode here: http://makeitright.ca/Holmes_Media/H...episode_id=333 and it can be watched in parts here: http://www.hgtv.ca/video/

Last edited by Atlantic Xpat; Jan 31st 2012 at 9:37 am.
Old Jan 31st 2012, 10:23 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Geordie Lass
Think you need to avoid it like the plague from the sounds of it.

How common are Grow Ops out of interest?
There are a lot of them in Vancouver and in smaller cities they still manage to find the odd one. There was a fire on my friends block (across the alley) in Vancouver about 8 years ago and police discovered grows in 3 different houses. There's just so much money in it and all the materials are so available it's everywhere. Likely Vancouver has more gang owned and controlled grow-ops than anywhere else.
Old Jan 31st 2012, 10:27 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

No, no, no.
Old Jan 31st 2012, 10:30 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
There was a Holmes on Homes episode about a lady who had unbeknownst to her, rented her house out to someone who used it as a grow op. The place had to be completely rebuilt - problems with damp, mold, electrical hook up, structural alterations etc etc. Personally, I'd run far away from such an opportunity.

EDIT: Some info on the HOH episode here: http://makeitright.ca/Holmes_Media/H...episode_id=333 and it can be watched in parts here: http://www.hgtv.ca/video/
To be fair, if one socket cover is a different colour to the rest, Mike Holmes rebuilds the house. That show's a Canadian version of Extreme Makeover Home Edition.
Old Jan 31st 2012, 11:11 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

What if you want to use it as a grow-op? Might be good.
Old Jan 31st 2012, 11:19 am

dollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond repute

totally avoid for all the above reasons.
Old Jan 31st 2012, 12:57 pm
Banned

Boy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond repute

While the mold alone should be enough to put one off, there is also the chance of being targeted by criminals. I have investigated violent home invasions where the suspects were under the mistaken belief that the home was still a grow, much to the horror of the new residents. Chances are slim but is a real possability. Stay well clear.
Old Jan 31st 2012, 1:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

macadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond repute

Does it not give you a warm fuzzy feeling when everyone agrees with you?
Boring though...thought at least one poster would have thought such a purchase was a good plan....
Old Jan 31st 2012, 1:40 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Apparently 3 owners ago, our new house had a grow op in the basement. There is absolutely no sign of it now, and we have a comprehensive home inspection, so all the repairs must have been done one or two owners ago. This is of course neighbour talk and it could be that the person 3 owners ago just grew a plant or two for himself, not necessarily with foil etc.

I wouldn't buy a grow op house knowingly as there has to be lots of ripping out and putting back together to make the home habitable.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.