Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

But what about the rugby!?

But what about the rugby!?

Old Apr 24th 2007, 2:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Near Colchester, Essex hoping to go to Port Moody, BC
singingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to behold
Default But what about the rugby!?

Now we are getting down to the nitty-gritty, serious stuff. OH not so much interested in location, property and schools, etc. He wants to know if he can go to rugby matches and watch England on the TV in the Vancouver area. Can anyone put him out of his misery? He's got a few years to get used to the idea if BC is a rugby desert.

Lara
Old Apr 24th 2007, 2:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

printer has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: But what about the rugby!?

Originally Posted by singingringingtree
Now we are getting down to the nitty-gritty, serious stuff. OH not so much interested in location, property and schools, etc. He wants to know if he can go to rugby matches and watch England on the TV in the Vancouver area. Can anyone put him out of his misery? He's got a few years to get used to the idea if BC is a rugby desert.

Lara
What's Rugby?
Old Apr 24th 2007, 2:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

singingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by printer
What's Rugby?
... doesn't sound good, does it? Perhaps I can interest him in curling.
Old Apr 24th 2007, 2:38 pm
Been there, done that

MCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud of

Lara
I was in Vancouver a couple of weeks ago at UBC and they had rugby posts upon their stadium. We were shown around the campus by a second row forward and the same day there was the trials being held there for the National Team squad.

We also saw a couple of touring Canadian rugby teams so it seems to be very popular in BC. In Calgary there are a number of clubs for both men and women and indeed it is played at my daughters school.

However, I don't seem to have found much on the TV - I couldn't find the Heineken cup semis anywhere this weekend - not that my wife let me look that hard. It's certainly not got the coverage like soccer does here.

I miss my ticket at the Rec
Old Apr 24th 2007, 3:11 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

I think Rugby at the Club and 'minor' league level is quite popular in BC. (F'r example I know of a guy from the Rock playing semi-pro out there.) However finding it on TV will be virtually impossible whereever you are in Canada. Rugby just isn't popular compared to football (American style), hockey and curling.

I enjoy watching club Rugby here as the local team (The Rock) are Canadian Superleague Champs for the 2nd year running. Last year we had the Canada vs USA World Cup 2007 qualifier which whilst not and event on a par with the Calcutta Cup was a good match to watch. (Canada walloped the USA comprehensively). This year there is a UK team touring (Lancashire IIRC) and we have Canada playing the Rock as their last game before the World Cup.
Old Apr 24th 2007, 4:53 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Rugby is not a major TV sport here, you might catch the occasional game on Sportsnet, especially during the world cup. For participatoin BC is one of the places its more common I believe. THe digital sports channels seem to show 5 nations games, although not always "live"

"The Score" (cable channel) has a 30min roundup of what I call "euro sports" (soccer, rugby, cricket, F1) every weeknight evening at 5.30 thats Ok for highlites and keeping in touch I suppose.
Old Apr 24th 2007, 8:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks for these replies. At least there is some access to rugby to keep him going until we ease him into American football or ice hockey! I think ice hockey sounds much more exciting.
Old Apr 24th 2007, 8:27 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for these replies. At least there is some access to rugby to keep him going until we ease him into American football or ice hockey! I think ice hockey sounds much more exciting.
...and once you get here we'll work on dropping the "ice".

It's just hockey.
Old Apr 25th 2007, 2:05 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

I think ice hockey sounds much more exciting.
Sorry. But it's not.
Old Apr 25th 2007, 6:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Sorry. But it's not.
... but don't they have punch-ups on the ice just for the show of it?? (Sorry, taken my entire knowledge of the sport from the film Canadian Bacon.)
Old Apr 25th 2007, 3:14 pm
Been there, done that

MCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud of

... but don't they have punch-ups on the ice just for the show of it?? (Sorry, taken my entire knowledge of the sport from the film Canadian Bacon.)
I see we are starting from a low base......
Old Apr 25th 2007, 4:27 pm
...in these shoes?

ellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to behold

My OH loves to watch rugby. He keeps saying we should have gone to NZ recently. Why? No rugby on TV, he has to try and download matches through the internet and sometimes the whatjemacallit isn't strong enough and he misses bits etc And it's on at the wrong time too.
Old Apr 25th 2007, 4:34 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

I hate to say it, but its just a frigging game. I gave up field hockey (something of a passion for me at the time) when I came to Canada.

Life did not end.
Old Apr 25th 2007, 8:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

steve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
I hate to say it, but its just a frigging game.
Life did not end.
How could you utter such bilge
No rugby, no life. Suicide note already written for when I get out there, I will be a martyr for game...And I'm not talking about that Canadian band.
Old Apr 25th 2007, 9:03 pm
Just Joined

davidkuttner is an unknown quantity at this point

I recently moved over to Toronto and am playing club rugby for a team here. The quality is actually a lot higher than I had anticipated, and within the league my team is in, there are quite a few current Canadian international players.
I've discovered that because rugby isn't as popular as is it back home, people who do like it, tend to be fanatics about it.

Apparently rugby is very big out in BC, so I'm sure he'll be able to watch most games! If he can't find a sports bar that shows the matches, he could always join a local rugby team as a social member. I'm sure they'll know where to go to watch England play! If not, try Setanta Sports (the PPV channel). I managed to watch the 6 nations games online through their website.

Hope that helps!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.