Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

British Recipes..tried and true?

British Recipes..tried and true?

Old May 28th 2012, 3:58 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British Recipes..tried and true?

Speaking of eggs, does anyone know how to fry a perfect egg. Like the ones they serve up at the B & B's. I just can't get them right, here or in the UK.
Old May 28th 2012, 4:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Geordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lf1
Speaking of eggs, does anyone know how to fry a perfect egg. Like the ones they serve up at the B & B's. I just can't get them right, here or in the UK.
That's one thing I am rubbish at by my hubby does gorgeous ones. I think you put a lot of olive oil in the frying pan and then heat it up a bit, crack it in and then keep pushing the oil over the top of it (he tilts the pan) with a spatula... his always turn out absolutely gorgeous - white fully cooked and yolk very runny.

(Geordie Lass is now craving a fried egg - thanks for that! )
Old May 28th 2012, 4:41 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Georgie Lass. Maybe that is what I will have for lunch.
Old May 28th 2012, 7:38 pm
Don't call me MOM!!

snowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of light

For perfectly poached eggs-

1. Pop to your nearest Costco and pick up a stainless 6 egg poacing pan for 10 bucks.

2. Lightly grease the cups with oil (essential)

3. Fill pan with water and bring to the boil and insert cups filled with eggs.

4. Simmer for eggactly 6 mins (Calgary) hubby has perfected triming

5. Serve on buttered (proper butter) Winnipeg style rye bread- Yummy
Old May 28th 2012, 8:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Geordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowcandy

1. Pop to your nearest Costco and pick up a stainless 6 egg poacing pan for 10 bucks.

Liking the sound of that!
Old May 29th 2012, 8:07 pm
Forum Regular

FriendlyManitoba is just really niceFriendlyManitoba is just really niceFriendlyManitoba is just really niceFriendlyManitoba is just really niceFriendlyManitoba is just really niceFriendlyManitoba is just really niceFriendlyManitoba is just really niceFriendlyManitoba is just really nice

Originally Posted by lf1
Just how do you wish your personal preferences to be on your perfect egg frying mission, If1?

I cannot stand a runny yolk, personally...I like mine turned and well done, smashed to bits and hard-cooked well...the equivalent of my Mom's roast beef , but the other half likes a sunny, soft, runny yolk for dipping. I am probably veering into the minority on the egg front, but I have no shame.

Then, there are the medium folks who love it on the medium well side with a nice frilly egg-white edge with a brown'ish crisp, and a centre that's still yellow and soft.
Old May 29th 2012, 8:24 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by FriendlyManitoba
Just how do you wish your personal preferences to be on your perfect egg frying mission, If1?

I cannot stand a runny yolk, personally...I like mine turned and well done, smashed to bits and hard-cooked well...the equivalent of my Mom's roast beef , but the other half likes a sunny, soft, runny yolk for dipping. I am probably veering into the minority on the egg front, but I have no shame.

Then, there are the medium folks who love it on the medium well side with a nice frilly egg-white edge with a brown'ish crisp, and a centre that's still yellow and soft.
I like them over easy or sunnyside up with a bit of a runny yolk. I could probably do a fried egg for you if you also like them a bit scorched on the bottom, as that is how mine end up, along with crispy edges. LOL
Old May 29th 2012, 9:04 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowcandy

Skip steps 1 & 2 - once water's boiled turn down to a gentle simmer and break egg into the water. Once cooked to taste remove with slotted spoon.
Old May 29th 2012, 9:16 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by R I C H
Skip steps 1 & 2 - once water's boiled turn down to a gentle simmer and break egg into the water. Once cooked to taste remove with slotted spoon.
It helps if you add some vinegar to the water, and stir the water slowly to get some roatation and place the egg in the centre, I’m told this helps keep the egg together or at least that's how I learned to do it from my Mum..

For the perfect B&B, road side café, canteen egg, its a deep sided frying pan with enough oil to cover the egg, the eggs are fried whilst immersed in the oil (read lard for northerners)

Last edited by MikeUK; May 29th 2012 at 9:19 pm. Reason: suggestion may be hazzardous to your health
Old May 29th 2012, 10:00 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by MikeUK
It helps if you add some vinegar to the water, and stir the water slowly to get some roatation and place the egg in the centre, I’m told this helps keep the egg together or at least that's how I learned to do it from my Mum..

For the perfect B&B, road side café, canteen egg, its a deep sided frying pan with enough oil to cover the egg, the eggs are fried whilst immersed in the oil (read lard for northerners)
Yes, I always add a bit of vinegar to the water, but I didn't realize you should stir the water. I'll give that a try on the weekend.

That could be where I am going wrong, because I don't use a lot of oil when frying an egg. I can see that my cholesterol level could be on the increase this weekend testing out these tips.
Old May 30th 2012, 10:49 am
BE Enthusiast

luvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by lf1
use veg oil and butter together in the pan, when the butter is gently bubbling crack in the egg and allow to cook gently for a min or so and then flick the oil over the egg until its set, season and serve
Old May 30th 2012, 2:12 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

I fry eggs by splashing some oil (usually olive) in a non stick pan, heat the oil, crack the egg, let the bottom of the egg cook and then flip it for a second or two, I don't like the snotty bits if the tops not cooked properly, so flipping it renders that problem obsolete and I still get a nice dippy runny yolk.
Old May 30th 2012, 2:17 pm
Don't call me MOM!!

snowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by R I C H
Noooo way too fiddly. I have tried everything vinegar, stirring etc they already turn out like.....I won't even go there at this time of the morning
Old May 30th 2012, 3:42 pm
Forum Regular

FriendlyManitoba is just really niceFriendlyManitoba is just really niceFriendlyManitoba is just really niceFriendlyManitoba is just really niceFriendlyManitoba is just really niceFriendlyManitoba is just really niceFriendlyManitoba is just really niceFriendlyManitoba is just really nice

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
I fry eggs by splashing some oil (usually olive) in a non stick pan, heat the oil, crack the egg, let the bottom of the egg cook and then flip it for a second or two, I don't like the snotty bits if the tops not cooked properly, so flipping it renders that problem obsolete and I still get a nice dippy runny yolk.
THAT'S perfect wording, Piff Poff. The snotty bits.

For poached, I really, really want one of these little jobbies. How cute are these? Of course, being Canada there is one review that's not great, but I think I saw more positive reviews on the U.S. Amazon site.
http://www.amazon.ca/Trudeau-Silicon.../dp/B003I3QH6W

For fried, I like to get my heavy stainless or cast iron pan pretty darned smoking hot, as I don't trust my health with high heat and the non-stick ones. I start with plenty of bacon grease and gently crack those eggs to hear that comforting sizzly sound. I watch mine for a bit until the bottom is solid, then do the flip and smash technique. For the snotty type ones my DH likes (perfect description, PP), I do as some of the above posts do and grease-baste his eggs a bit, splashing the fat on the top of his eggs and then throw the lid on for a wee bit. He's convinced I am trying to kill him with artery clogs, but he still gobbles them up. I am killing him with kindness.

By the way, I'm going to give my Pastys another whirl this weekend after I read some of the recommendations you all kindly gave me for some website suggestions. I'm going to pay a visit to the Bulk Barn to see if I can get some proper flour to add to my shortcrust, or try the baking powder addition. I bought myself a mandolin for slicing (not strumming) and I am excited to use it. If they are successful, I shall share a photo. If not, it's back to my drawing board. My DH travels a lot, and my future son-in-law works in construction, so I thought I could treat them to an easily transported manly goodie.

The Be-Ro site was nice. I googled the Be-Ro cookbook and it somewhat reminds me of the Canadian counterpart, The Purity Cookbook (now re-printed). Old-fashioned goodness

Last edited by FriendlyManitoba; May 30th 2012 at 5:30 pm.
Old May 30th 2012, 4:09 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

Well, I had a fried egg for breakfast this morning and used the various tips you have all kindly provided. It was an improvement on my usual disasters, but not B & B quality. I am finally coming out of denial - I am an incompetent egg fryer!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.