Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

British Media Slams Canada at the Games

British Media Slams Canada at the Games

Old Feb 17th 2010, 7:20 am
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British Media Slams Canada at the Games

Originally Posted by dboy
Whining about whiners... classic.

Ooh look, someone mentioned teeth.
Old Feb 17th 2010, 8:38 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elizabeth I
I really hope for London and Britain's sake that everything goes perfectly in 2012, and that these media reports overly criticising Vancouver don't come back to haunt them if the boot should be on other foot...
Funny, i'm in the UK and i don't really see all of this negativity around the Vancouver Olympics. If anything, what i see is people (those interested) being enthused by the events and having sympathy for the uncontrollable aspect of the weather.
Old Feb 17th 2010, 12:26 pm

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Londonuck
Whining about whiners... classic.

Ooh look, someone mentioned teeth.
Lots of cheap shots but amusing non the less.
Old Feb 17th 2010, 3:27 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.ctvolympics.ca/news-centr...pretty+picture

Looks like it is no longer just the British Media.

I remember when I was last in Vancouver that the general populous had polled as no longer actually wanting the Olympics.
Old Feb 17th 2010, 3:35 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by James Martindale

I remember when I was last in Vancouver that the general populous had polled as no longer actually wanting the Olympics.
There's a piece on the Guardian website summarizing criticism of the Olympics in the Canadian press. Some of it's about the dead athlete and lack of buses but most of it seems to be about not having public access to something called a cauldron. I can't see the fuss, it's warm in Vancouver, no real need for access to a fire.
Old Feb 17th 2010, 3:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

jimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond repute

All the media is joining in although it looks like the British media were in there first along with the Americans. The problem now is that once the theme of problem/failure is established people start looking for things which might otherwise have gone unnoticed.

The fencing off of the flame in the way they've done it shows a real lack of judgement.

I've quite enjoyed watching some of the events on TV.
Old Feb 17th 2010, 4:47 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimf
All the media is joining in although it looks like the British media were in there first along with the Americans. The problem now is that once the theme of problem/failure is established people start looking for things which might otherwise have gone unnoticed.

The fencing off of the flame in the way they've done it shows a real lack of judgement.

I've quite enjoyed watching some of the events on TV.
Were the British and Americans the first because their press is the freeist?
Old Feb 17th 2010, 4:57 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

It seems to me that quite a few people wanted these Olympics to be a cock-up. Many of the press articles were probably written well in advance. The case of the female ('ish) hockey is an example. The entirely expected slaughter of the Slovaks by Canada brought out the standard "should this be an Olympic event?" pieces. They were little different to those that appeared last time. I think that shemale hockey is a great event. At present, Canada and the USA are miles head of the others. That will only change as other countries build up a pool of players. Take away the lure of the Olympics and the interest in hockey will evaporate. I think all the players share that view.

If you really want to lose a pointless event, ditch the male hockey. It's nothing more than extension of the NHL and the players don't give a $hit about it. There was ample evidence of that yesterday, in the opener against Norway. It seems a little odd to me that the cream of the NHL couldn't beat a Norwegian carpenter. Not once in 20 minutes. The scoring did start in the second period. I'd love to have been a fly on the wall in the changing room during the break. I can only begin to imagine the bollocking dished out by the coach.
Old Feb 17th 2010, 5:12 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

Originally Posted by dbd33
There's a piece on the Guardian website summarizing criticism of the Olympics in the Canadian press. Some of it's about the dead athlete and lack of buses but most of it seems to be about not having public access to something called a cauldron. I can't see the fuss, it's warm in Vancouver, no real need for access to a fire.
This is the article you speak of?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog...ames-vancouver
Old Feb 17th 2010, 5:16 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes.
Old Feb 17th 2010, 5:18 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

Originally Posted by dbd33
Yes.
Perhaps there is a correlation between the couldron and all the melted snow on Cypress Mountain.
Old Feb 17th 2010, 8:11 pm

Bali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elizabeth I
I really hope for London and Britain's sake that everything goes perfectly in 2012, and that these media reports overly criticising Vancouver don't come back to haunt them if the boot should be on other foot...
The British media is about selling papers & a successful tactic is to bash things - 2012 in London is highly unlikely to be treated any differently - though some may take a supportive role, just to appeal to those who support it.

cynical maybe, but that is me
Old Feb 17th 2010, 8:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: 9 years in the canadian trucking industry... Niverville MB
Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute

I cant wait to see what 'Cluster F*** ' the Brits make of the 2012 summer games, woe be tied if the weather is crap or any thing else goes wrong
Old Feb 17th 2010, 8:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

dgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bali2010
The British media is about selling papers & a successful tactic is to bash things - 2012 in London is highly unlikely to be treated any differently - though some may take a supportive role, just to appeal to those who support it.

cynical maybe, but that is me
I agree, I think the journalist 's of these newspapers are to blame, but I really think the ordinary person on the street, don't think that way, if anything, as was said earlier, wish Canada well. I know I have never heard any disparaging comments about Canada in all the years I lived at home. I did about other countries, but most people think Canada, and Canadians are on the whole really nice people lol
Old Feb 17th 2010, 10:06 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvy
It seems a little odd to me that the cream of the NHL couldn't beat a Norwegian carpenter. Not once in 20 minutes.
Not so different from decades ago when Butcher, Baker, Candlestick maker (and Fireman) from Finalnd, Luxembourg etc would keep professionals from the world's top international football teams at bay before finally caving in near the end.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.