Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

British Media Slams Canada at the Games

British Media Slams Canada at the Games

Old Feb 16th 2010, 3:12 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British Media Slams Canada at the Games

Originally Posted by Jingle
somehow it always takes a tragedy for things to change.
Not necessarily. The Isle of Man TT has remained unchanged for the most of its 100+ years of existence. People tend to be killed every year, including some of the high calibre racers.

Safety is great to a point but once the element of danger and the opportunity for the spectator to see a crash diminishes, the sport can lose viewers thus risk revenue reduction (take F1 for example).

All sport with an element of speed and/or physical contact is dangerous and people who partake in sports know the consequences. There is only so much nannying an organisation can do to limit incidents but to eliminate them is impossible.

Should motorcycle road racing be banned or events cancelled due to the danger to the rider AND spectator? No of course not. The luge fraternity knew the dangers and they and the organisers can mitigate to a point but ultimately the participant makes his choice and lives (or dies) by it. As sad as it may be, life goes on and i would be very suprised if anybody on this forum or even in Canada can recall this Georgian guys name in a few months time.

As for the media. Sensationalism and shock value sells. The death of this guy offers both due to the high profile event and its perceived safety. People who read this tat and take it onboard without seeing through it are dickheads.

Examples of a dangerous sport for the participant and spectator:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jutP6CUpKj4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmtoOmq3ppw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtjQ4SK4GXk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Nzq2GorVH4 (35 secs in)

You don't often see media coverage like this most years after a death because it doesn't have the right ingredients.

Last edited by el_richo; Feb 16th 2010 at 3:19 pm.
Old Feb 16th 2010, 3:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
If we don't follow the media from the UK how do we know what's going on in the world?

I agree
Old Feb 16th 2010, 3:36 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by triumphguy
Should sporting events cease when death occurs.
Several people, in BC alone, die every year participating in winter sports.
Old Feb 16th 2010, 3:39 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
If we don't follow the media from the UK how do we know what's going on in the world?
In this case I can see with my own eyes.

The conclusion I reach, given the disparity between the UK media reports and what I see on the ground here, is that I cannot trust the UK media to provide objective reporting.
Old Feb 16th 2010, 7:12 pm

Bali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, with two other articles I've read since on reporting views (& pardon my ignorance here, but some sport people who's names I forget) of the track being seen as safe, so at least not one perspective only.

Originally Posted by Flossie and Jim
Oh, apparently its all a "calamity" in Vancouver now!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2010...-olympics-2010
Well that is the eyecatching headline - the article ends with a more balanced tone:
Most worryingly of all for the organisers in Vancouver, Vanoc has failed to quell the growing sense that the 2010 ­Winter ­Olympics will be remembered as ­something substantially less than a triumph., which I have to say is not really unfair (IMO) given a death on the games, which doesn't happen at each games.

EDIT:
Links to other articles mentioned above (in case anyone wants them):

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2010...inter-olympics
http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2010...clive-woodward

Last edited by Bali2010; Feb 16th 2010 at 7:14 pm. Reason: added links
Old Feb 16th 2010, 8:03 pm
Meh

GavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by JonboyE
In this case I can see with my own eyes.

The conclusion I reach, given the disparity between the UK media reports and what I see on the ground here, is that I cannot trust the UK media to provide objective reporting.
That's not exactly new news, since when have they been objective? Reporting the news in favour of sensationalism went out in the UK a long time ago.
Old Feb 16th 2010, 11:57 pm

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
For someone that appears to find the UK abhorrent, you appear to spend a huge amount of time trawling through its media.
Not sure I said anything about hating the UK, other than expressing frustration with London-centricism. And no I;m not trolling the web for brit media articles. I pulled them of a blog re the games and one bit was international media views - there are many - Brits are being overly critical. I could have also posted comments by NBC and the New York Times, but this is after all a Brit Expat discussion site - or hadn't you noticed?
Old Feb 17th 2010, 12:02 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dboy
Not sure I said anything about hating the UK, other than expressing frustration with London-centricism. And no I;m not trolling the web for brit media articles. I pulled them of a blog re the games and one bit was international media views - there are many - Brits are being overly critical. I could have also posted comments by NBC and the New York Times, but this is after all a Brit Expat discussion site - or hadn't you noticed?
I noticed that even on the BBC site, they seemed to be overly dramatic when it came to reporting the problems the Games have had. I was surprised by that.
Old Feb 17th 2010, 12:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Elizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of light

I really hope for London and Britain's sake that everything goes perfectly in 2012, and that these media reports overly criticising Vancouver don't come back to haunt them if the boot should be on other foot...
Old Feb 17th 2010, 12:06 am
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sure there are elements within the London 2012 organisation who would be delighted if Vancouver 2010 is remembered as a fiasco. Easier to look good then.
Old Feb 17th 2010, 12:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Elizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
I'm sure there are elements within the London 2012 organisation who would be delighted if Vancouver 2010 is remembered as a fiasco. Easier to look good then.

yup, there's a strategy going on for sure...
Old Feb 17th 2010, 12:13 am

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Perhaps. I think major events like the games are prone to problems. You can't dump however many thousands of people in the city using infrastructure and transit designed for way less and not expect issues.

I don't doubt all the games have had issues. I think it's the overall impression that counts in the end and we are still are writing this one. Looks as though the weather will be better the next week or so and hope that we have seen the end of the issues, although I doubt it.

Funny thing is I'm actually against the games (not the athletes) but got caught up in the positivity here which is truly intoxicating - now, ironically, I'm trying to stay upbeat. At the end of the day, Vancouver was a wonderful place before the games and it still will be after.

Last edited by dboy; Feb 17th 2010 at 12:17 am.
Old Feb 17th 2010, 12:15 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Unfortunately I think you’re right there.

Of course Vancouver has had some problems but a bit of balance and perspective in the reporting wouldn't be bad. I don’t think the Olympics seem to be an area that it is common. It’s all rah rah rah or doom doom doom.
Old Feb 17th 2010, 12:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by dboy
Perhaps. I think major events like the games are prone to problems. You can't dump however many thousands of people in the city using infrastructure and transit designed for way less and not expect issues.

Which is why I'm wondering how London is going to cope. I mean gee, that place used to grind to a halt if they had a bit of ice and leaves on the tracks.

Does anyone remember what a nightmare commuting in London was?

I sure don't miss it.
Old Feb 17th 2010, 12:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Oink
I don’t think the Olympics seem to be an area that it is common. It’s all rah rah rah or doom doom doom.

Good point.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.