Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

British Media Slams Canada at the Games

British Media Slams Canada at the Games

Old Feb 16th 2010, 9:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Elizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: British Media Slams Canada at the Games

Originally Posted by Alan2005
A man is dead. Still, his team got a standing ovation at the opening ceremony which more than makes up for it. He should be grateful really.

How does this reply relate to anything I said?
Old Feb 16th 2010, 9:28 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elizabeth I
How does this reply relate to anything I said?
I've just been catching up on a few threads - it relates to the general tone from yourself and others in the opening ceremony thread before it descended into crapulance.

To be honest, this poor sod copping it is the only reason I've seen any reporting of the games. I would say that the media where I am would see the games as an irrelevance, but that would imply they actually noticed they were even going on.... awesome!
Old Feb 16th 2010, 9:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Elizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of light

I've just been catching up on a few threads - it relates to the general tone from yourself and others in the opening ceremony thread before it descended into crapulance.

Oh I see, I liked the opening ceremony but I wasn't supposed to? What "tone" are you referring to?
Old Feb 16th 2010, 9:35 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Oh I see, I liked the opening ceremony and I wasn't supposed to? What "tone" are you referring to?
I'm surprised you need it spelling out. That thread reaches new levels of mawkishness.
Old Feb 16th 2010, 9:39 am
BE Forum Addict

I'm surprised you need it spelling out. That thread reaches new levels of mawkishness.

And your opinion on that should matter to me, why?

If you want to spell it out how your previous post (In THIS thread) related to what I said about the media as arbiter, by all means spell it out. But if you're bringing your own sentiments from another thread to have a dig in this one, well, whatever.

Last edited by Elizabeth I; Feb 16th 2010 at 9:41 am.
Old Feb 16th 2010, 9:53 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Imagine what the press would be like if there were sporting deaths in such places as, oh, lets say the Isle of Man TT races or the Manx GP.................oh..........
Old Feb 16th 2010, 10:06 am

And your opinion on that should matter to me, why?

If you want to spell it out how your previous post (In THIS thread) related to what I said about the media as arbiter, by all means spell it out. But if you're bringing your own sentiments from another thread to have a dig in this one, well, whatever.
I've answered both of your questions. That you dismiss them because they don't fit in with your own particular world view is unimportant to me; unlike some, I don't require that kind of validation.
Old Feb 16th 2010, 11:39 am

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Oink
That is real life, this is just a sport. People shouldn't die because of a mistake in a game. IMO it’s tacky to have a celebration of fun when someone has lost their life.
Rubbish. What are you saying, we should cancel the whole thing and tell everyone to go home?
Old Feb 16th 2010, 11:46 am

To be honest, this poor sod copping it is the only reason I've seen any reporting of the games. I would say that the media where I am would see the games as an irrelevance, but that would imply they actally noticed they were even going on.... awesome!
the winter games has only really been popular in a handful of nations. On the global stage, i doubt it gets a whole lot of front page reporting. Your point is valid and highlights how media love misery - it does, after all, sell papers.
Old Feb 16th 2010, 11:48 am

I thought the article was very good. Vancouver may well get away with mistakes as very few expect much, but London is a major world capital and will have to have higher standards.
I doubt any major event like the games will get away without errors. Lets see if the underground manages to get through the games without a break down, or drunken mobs taking to the streets.
Old Feb 16th 2010, 11:50 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dboy
Rubbish. What are you saying, we should cancel the whole thing and tell everyone to go home?
Just the sliding events. I just think it would have been a considerate move. If it had been a Canadian who died and the Georgians had the Olympics I bet they'd be calling for the track to be closed.
Old Feb 16th 2010, 12:02 pm

Just the sliding events. I just think it would have been a considerate move. If it had been a Canadian who died and the Georgians had the Olympics I bet they'd be calling for the track to be closed.
Actually I was wondering what I would do if I was had been assigned the investiagtion. I would have ordered it closed, pending a full review of the track, video of the fatality and other lugers using the course, reports from industry experts, interviews, exam of the cart, interviews, full assessment of the lugers skill set. So I do agree it re-opened way to fast - politics is like that. Not that I know anything about Luger but I do know quite a bit about death investigations, so yes I agree, from a public safety point of view.
Old Feb 16th 2010, 12:05 pm

This article say it all really. Media like to sweat the small stuff, especially where the games are concerned:

http://timesonline.typepad.com/olymp...no-really.html
Old Feb 16th 2010, 12:05 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dboy
Actually I was wondering what I would do if I was had been assigned the investiagtion. I would have ordered it closed, pending a full review of the track, video of the fatality and other lugers using the course, reports from industry experts, interviews, exam of the cart, interviews, full assessment of the lugers skill set. So I do agree it re-opened way to fast - politics is like that. Not that I know anything about Luger but I do know quite a bit about death investigations, so yes I agree, from a public safety point of view.
I saw a comment somewhere yesterday from a luger. His view was that the designers could not have created something more likely to kill or maim if they'd tried.
Old Feb 16th 2010, 12:10 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

What I found quite galling were many on the Canadian team were whining about the change in start positions because they hadn't practiced from them. Very tacky again, I thought they should have showed more sensitivity, someone died.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.