Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

British Media Slams Canada at the Games

British Media Slams Canada at the Games

Old Feb 26th 2010, 7:42 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British Media Slams Canada at the Games

Originally Posted by Oink
This is one of the articles I've read that seems acurate from my perspective.

"The ultimate aim of these Games, any Games, is global excellence and global joy, not provincial victory and local bragging rights."

"But Canada has not come of age in Vancouver 2010. Canada has regressed into a sneering but ultimately impotent adolescence. It’s been — well, rather unattractive on the whole."

Not the people so much, but the CTV coverage has been the most ungracious, petty and parochial I've ever seen. Its quite shameful.

Times Article
The Times article is a stupid, tasteless piece. I found the `Up Yours America` comment ridiculous, because no country practices that attitude more than the UK. Canadians in general love Americans and America. We spend a great deal of our time and money there. Sure we have rivalries in sport but that`s a good thing.
Old Feb 26th 2010, 7:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Auld Yin
The Times article is a stupid, tasteless piece. I found the `Up Yours America` comment ridiculous, because no country practices that attitude more than the UK. Canadians in general love Americans and America. We spend a great deal of our time and money there. Sure we have rivalries in sport but that`s a good thing.
You must live in a very different Canada to the one I do. Every Canadian I know was extolling the virtues of "Own the Podium" right up until it became apparent that they weren't going to. Do you not remember the media's response to the USA athlete that had the temerity to suggest that the US would rent it for the period of the Olympics?

I did not find the article stupid or tasteless. It gave a good impression of Canada save for the "Own the Podium" campaign
Old Feb 26th 2010, 7:58 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

It's the small town ungracious mentality that comes through. As I said, I haven't really noticed that with the ordinary people but the Canadian media has been absolutely embarrassingly fifth grade and definitely not the Olympic spirit.

Even on Global News last night, they had big section about how the US TV was being nice about Vancouver and Canada? It was really quite sad.
Old Feb 26th 2010, 8:04 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

The article repeats the lie the British media are spouting about the sliding track.

The number of practice runs each team are entitled to is decided by the IOC and it delegates this to the International Luge Federation. VANOC have no input whatsoever into this. There is no suggestion that VANOC denied anyone the opportunity to use their full entitlement of practice runs.

The author seems to take offense at the "own the podium" name, but not the program itself. As he says, if it was called Canadian Excellence everything would be just fine. Why does he take such offense? Because he thinks the word "own" is an Americanism. WTF? You have to take offense very easily, or be struggling to think of a new negative stance, to get offended by that.

Ask an average Canadian and all they think it means is win as many medals as possible. The biggest mistake the program founders made was that they obviously didn't consider the precious sensibilities of the British media when thinking up a name.

A more informed commentator pointed out that the US success in the medal table was a direct result of the similar winter sports development program they initiated for the 2002 games.

And. BTW, there is still a reasonable chance that Canada will win the medal table, as long as we count it in the British way of number of gold medals first.
Old Feb 26th 2010, 8:06 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
You must live in a very different Canada to the one I do. Every Canadian I know was extolling the virtues of "Own the Podium" right up until it became apparent that they weren't going to. Do you not remember the media's response to the USA athlete that had the temerity to suggest that the US would rent it for the period of the Olympics?

I did not find the article stupid or tasteless. It gave a good impression of Canada save for the "Own the Podium" campaign
I never, for one nano-second, believed that Canada would win the majority of medals, given the presence of the USA, Russia the Nordic and Alpine countries. I, and I believe most Canadians perceived it as a way to promote the Games and Canadian pride. When the UK hosts in 2012 their Olympic Committee will do its utmost to promote the Games and British pride, and so it should.
Old Feb 26th 2010, 8:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
And. BTW, there is still a reasonable chance that Canada will win the medal table, as long as we count it in the British way of number of gold medals first.
Are you confusing Brits with Americans? What is this British way? (I understood it was the Americans that used to count each medal awarded to the teams members to ensure that, in their world, they topped the medals table at the Beijing Olympics).

Who really cares who says what about whom? I cannot believe how sensitive Canadians are being to what is said about them around the world.
Old Feb 26th 2010, 8:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

jimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond repute

Mathew Pinsent puts it slightly differently, also in the Times.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/spo...cle7041842.ece
Old Feb 26th 2010, 8:35 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimf
Mathew Pinsent puts it slightly differently, also in the Times.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/spo...cle7041842.ece
He's got no future in journalism.
Old Feb 26th 2010, 8:39 pm

dollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond repute

Are you confusing Brits with Americans? What is this British way? (I understood it was the Americans that used to count each medal awarded to the teams members to ensure that, in their world, they topped the medals table at the Beijing Olympics).

Who really cares who says what about whom? I cannot believe how sensitive Canadians are being to what is said about them around the world.
Why wouldn't Canada care what is said about them around the world? they are as proud a nation as any other and want the games to be a success as well as positive promotion in terms of future tourisim and as a place to do business. No one wants their country/people slated.
What a silly thing to say AC.
Old Feb 26th 2010, 8:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of light

Luckily a lot of Canadians dont even know much about Europe so prob dont pay much attention, many a time I have been asked exactly where Scotland is, they have no idea what the UK comprises of, they think the scots still wear kilts and herd sheep and the english drink tea, carry brollies and abstain from sex
Old Feb 26th 2010, 8:44 pm

dollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pammy
Luckily a lot of Canadians dont even know much about Europe so prob dont pay much attention, many a time I have been asked exactly where Scotland is, they have no idea what the UK comprises of, they think the scots still wear kilts and herd sheep and the english drink tea, carry brollies and abstain from sex
You mean..........it aint so?.................
Old Feb 26th 2010, 8:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by dollface
You mean..........it aint so?.................
I cant comment on the english but us scots had all our sheep burned so no more herding there.....sorry if I have upset any farmers on here....if it makes you feel better we had to have our 6 pet ones done too.
Old Feb 26th 2010, 8:48 pm

I cant comment on the english but us scots had all our sheep burned so no more herding there.....sorry if I have upset any farmers on here....if it makes you feel better we had to have our 6 pet ones done too.
ow no.......................
Attached Thumbnails British Media Slams Canada at the Games-lambchop.jpg  
Old Feb 26th 2010, 8:50 pm
Binned by Muderators

The North American way is to count the aggregate total of medals. By this count Canada is 4th, maybe 3rd. However, in another thread Alan2005 was disparaging about the Canadian media ranking countries this way and cited the BBC as doing it properly by ranking countries in the order of gold medals won.

I was just having a little dig as Canada may top the medal table in the proper BBC way.
Old Feb 26th 2010, 8:52 pm
Binned by Muderators

I cant comment on the english but us scots had all our sheep burned so no more herding there...
Does this also explain the lack of sex?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.