Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

British Media Slams Canada at the Games

British Media Slams Canada at the Games

Old Feb 19th 2010, 3:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

jimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British Media Slams Canada at the Games

Originally Posted by dboy
I doubt the negative Brit press is going to amount to much on the international stage. NBC has been giving outstanding coverage of the games here and they have been largely positive of the games and very positive about Vancouver and are experiencing record viewers.

My brother-in-law to be manages a radio station in Seattle and has close to ties to major outlets in LA (where he owned a radio station) and New York. I toured the media center with him earlier in the week. The media likes Vancouver and while they have been frank about the issues, they haven't blown them out of perspective like the Brits - they are being objective taking the good with the bad.

Cypress was a poor choice, but I don't think there was anywhere else they could have had them. Its not just about where the events are, its about moving people to them. Still they rolled the dice. But beyond all the belly aching and canceled tickets, the Cypress events have been well received and have been the scene of the most exciting neck to neck events with Sean White on the half pipe, and both the woman's and men's moguls were nail bitters.

Even Seb Coe and Richard Branson have commented on the comments made by brit media and can't say enough good things about the games here and Vancouver.

I guess Brit media can't find anything good to say about the Brit winter team, so may as well fling some mud and tease the host country. Now that's good journalism.

GO CANADA GO!
Of course they're enjoying it. USA have taken possession of the Canadian podium.
Old Feb 19th 2010, 4:01 pm
Swollen Member

geo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo
Still don't understand why people would wish this. Is it because of some of the British media's negativity? Do you enjoy others misery to make you feel better? Or is it just because?
Yes.
Old Feb 19th 2010, 4:19 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
We're off to the figure skating this afternoon. Another tick on Mrs. JonboyE's list of things to do in life.

My task is to monitor the temperature of the beer served by the concessions. I think to do my job properly I will have to test it several times during the event. If the temperature is not perfect I will send a strongly worded letter to the British press.
I am pleased to report that the beer was consistently cold from several concession stands and tasted consistently like, well, what Molsen Canadian tastes like.

However, one of the Japanese skaters had a lace break in the middle of his routine and this caused the four hour event to overrun by two minutes. You would think that VANOC would have had a plan B. The failure to supply carbon fibre laces is yet another example of incompetent planning. Better keep a lock on the brewery door.

And, BTW, it was fun.
Old Feb 19th 2010, 5:56 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

I am pleased to report that the beer was consistently cold from several concession stands and tasted consistently like, well, what Molsen Canadian tastes like.

However, one of the Japanese skaters had a lace break in the middle of his routine and this caused the four hour event to overrun by two minutes. You would think that VANOC would have had a plan B. The failure to supply carbon fibre laces is yet another example of incompetent planning. Better keep a lock on the brewery door.

And, BTW, it was fun.
Yea. Typical of VANOC. I bet all the Canadian skaters have carbon fibre laces.
Old Feb 19th 2010, 6:12 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elizabeth I
It's probably the old "pride goes before a fall" syndrome. The British media's gloating over Vancouver mishaps (either real or imagined) will not look good for London should they put a foot wrong in 2012, it will be egg on the face time.

I personally want to see a magnificent event in London, but the gloating over Vancouver coming from certain quarters is only taking the shine off themselves, it's not a good look even if they think being a bunch of overly critical and petty pygmies is cool, it really isn't.

But then when have they ever been any different? they call for blood even if one of their own teams fail, so it's probably the same old thing: "negative news sells." But you probably have to love negativity to buy into it....
To be fair to the British Press they have been incredibly successful. I have more conversations about "The Worst Games Ever" than I do the actual events. It seems they have generated a new Canadian readership. The Guardian generate advertising content on their site selling canadian products-quite genius.
Old Feb 19th 2010, 6:31 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Yea. Typical of VANOC. I bet all the Canadian skaters have carbon fibre laces.
Damn, VANOC caught cheating again.
Old Feb 19th 2010, 6:31 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

The failure to supply carbon fibre laces is yet another example of incompetent planning.

Is this an example of the British sense of humour?
Old Feb 19th 2010, 6:36 pm
Binned by Muderators

Originally Posted by Auld Yin
The failure to supply carbon fibre laces is yet another example of incompetent planning.

Is this an example of the British sense of humour?
I think humour might be stretching it, but sarcasm for sure.
Old Feb 19th 2010, 6:45 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/spo...cle7033125.ece

Will Britain soon own the podium?

Last edited by JamesM; Feb 19th 2010 at 6:57 pm.
Old Feb 19th 2010, 6:55 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Old Feb 19th 2010, 6:59 pm
Binned by Muderators

Originally Posted by James Martindale
You see, just as I said, everything changes as soon as Britain is up for a medal.

The daily IOC briefings here are a hoot as beleaguered officials answer the latest set of problems from journalists who have it in for Canada because they were left at the top of Cypress Mountain for an hour on Saturday night without so much as a filet mignon.

http://timesonline.typepad.com/olymp...no-really.html
Old Feb 19th 2010, 7:03 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

You see, just as I said, everything changes as soon as Britain is up for a medal.

The daily IOC briefings here are a hoot as beleaguered officials answer the latest set of problems from journalists who have it in for Canada because they were left at the top of Cypress Mountain for an hour on Saturday night without so much as a filet mignon.

http://timesonline.typepad.com/olymp...no-really.html
What's changed?

There is critisicm of VANOC and the organisation and then there is coverage of the games. I don't think the Media will let up on VANOC should Britain own the podium.

Last edited by JamesM; Feb 19th 2010 at 7:09 pm.
Old Feb 19th 2010, 7:09 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Old Feb 19th 2010, 7:11 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Pass that dooby jings.
Old Feb 19th 2010, 7:57 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Pass that dooby jings.
Not me, sir. These were the wise words of Sgt. Oddball.
Attached Thumbnails British Media Slams Canada at the Games-oddball1.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.