Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

British Airways YVR to LHR

British Airways YVR to LHR

Old Jan 22nd 2020, 9:41 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British Airways YVR to LHR

Originally Posted by CanadaJimmy
I checked the ticket and yep you are right it was an "RJ", a Bombardier CRJ-700. Good to hear those are being phased out! I guess the advise then is to avoid that specific aircraft. I have heard others complain about the route in similar ways though and I didn't think they all took the same plane, but maybe.
Yeah anytime you see RJ700 or 900 its a Bombardier RJ and they are tin cans. E-175 are nice, nearly full size cabin height and normal sized overhead bins, decent leg room especially in first and economy plus. At one point Delta was using almost all CRJ700/900 on the route, but they have since gone E-175 which is a plus for passengers.

Air Canada uses mostly tubo prop Dash 8 and now that thing is bumpy and noisy, I do not care for the Dash 8 at all.

One winter Delta was flying the RJ between YVR and Minneapolis and that is like a 3 hour flight, I felt bad for the passengers and crew that plane is just too small for flights that long. The CRJ is a pain to load bags into as well, 2 tiny mostly useless holds in the front, and one bigger one in the back, but still can only get about 80 bags onto the plane and have a few skis and bikes and further reduce how many bags can fit.

Can get about 50 to 60 in forward hold of the E-175 and about 20-25 in the back so it was rare to bulk out that one, plenty of space.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Jan 22nd 2020 at 9:43 pm.
Old Jan 22nd 2020, 10:05 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British Airways YVR to LHR

Originally Posted by Kooky.
Thanks J, yes we will look at Virgin who I believe codeshare with Delta. Mr K flew Air Canada when he brought the cats over - road tripped them from YVR to Seattle - and was not that impressed. I guess we both need to get used to the fact we are starting again with our FF status and have lost our almost always points upgrades! (I've already lost my QF Gold and he's on his way to losing his Platinum.)

I'm trying out AA in May but just two short hops to Mexico.
Delta and its partners and Alaska and its partners are probably your best bet to build miles and status, Delta of course offers a much larger route network, but offers less destinations from Seattle, Alaska offers more destination but smaller route network overall.

Once upon a time Delta and Alaska were partners but then Delta decided to invade Alaska's Seattle hub.

AA isn't horrible, not great, can bit hit and miss with being on-time though. Just avoid Spirit and Frontier they are nickle and dime paradise, Southwest doesn't partner but good airline, reliable, and doesn't charge for bags but they don't partner and so can't earn miles on other airlines and of course they don't fly outside North America/Hawaii.