Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Bratz dolls. Hookers or harmless?

Bratz dolls. Hookers or harmless?

Old Jul 14th 2008, 8:05 pm

bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Bratz dolls. Hookers or harmless?

Originally Posted by iaink
We worried about the effect of "stick thin impossible figure barbie" on our daughters perception of what women should look like
Why? It's not such an unhealthy aspiration. In the developed world number of deaths due to not eating enough are minute compared to the deathtoll from gluttony.

Looking at kids today, it's pretty clear that they're not gettin enough thin role models.
Old Jul 14th 2008, 8:08 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bazzz
Why? It's not such an unhealthy aspiration. In the developed world number of deaths due to not eating enough are minute compared to the deathtoll from gluttony.
Bazzz, once again you clearly have no grasp of the real issue.

If a Barbie was scaled up to full size proportions she would be 5 feet, 9 inches, (1.75 m) measuring 36-18-33. According to research by the University Central Hospital in Helsinki, Finland, she would lack the requisite 17 to 22 percent of body fat required to menstruate, and her wrists would not be large enough for her bones to fit.

A good and health example to strive for. NOT.
Looking at kids today, it's pretty clear that they're not gettin enough thin role models.
Its not a shortage of thin role models (have you looked in a magazine recently?) Its a shortage of exercise and healthy eating options, and I dont think we can really hold any toy responsible for that, unless its the playstation?

Last edited by iaink; Jul 14th 2008 at 8:20 pm.
Old Jul 14th 2008, 8:18 pm
Citizenship Nov 10 2016!!

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Agree with you re the likely figures, however as parents you are much more in control of the amount of food your child may eat to excess or the type of diet they lead, than dealing with a child who wont eat due to their warped perception of how they "think " they should look.
Old Jul 14th 2008, 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by nikki dreaming
Agree with you re the likely figures, however as parents you are much more in control of the amount of food your child may eat to excess or the type of diet they lead, than dealing with a child who wont eat due to their warped perception of how they "think " they should look.
I agree. Shoddy parenting is the main cause of obesity. How best to implement a system of pre-conception screening to filter out the idiots who want to breed?
Old Jul 14th 2008, 8:23 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

I agree. Shoddy parenting is the main cause of obesity. How best to implement a system of pre-conception screening to filter out the idiots who want to breed?
Im curious how a parent is to control what a child eats at school, (where they spend most of their waking time), if there is only a selection of unhealthy junk to choose from?

Do you actually have kids?

We have the opposite problem, its virtually impossible to get out oldest kid to eat anything, heathy or not, although thats the result of other circumstances that predate Barbie in her life.

There are aparantly lots of studies linking Barbie with the way girls view there bodies (mostly as too fat), but I think perhaps its harsh to pin all the blame for that on the toy. It is just a toy after all, just as the Bratz are.

Last edited by iaink; Jul 14th 2008 at 8:26 pm.
Old Jul 14th 2008, 8:25 pm

Im curious how a parent is to control what a child eats at school, (where they spend most of their waking time), if there is only a selection of unhealthy junk to choose from?

Do you actually have kids?
Do they have to eat what's available at school? Can't you give them a packed lunch?

I hate kids, so I certainly hope there aren't any lurking in the background waiting to give me a nasty shock.
Old Jul 14th 2008, 8:28 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

I hate kids,
I'd never have guessed No wonder you are such an expert on parenting...

cant you give them a packed lunch
No, not always, and you cant ensure that they would eat it, even if you did...
Old Jul 14th 2008, 8:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Iain, don't bite .... bazzz makes it more than clear that those who breed are not only mad for doing so, but on the whole irresponsible and 'thrust' their wee loves on anyone and everyone. I expect his mother loved him when he was little .... maybe, but I wonder how "shoddy" her parenting skills were to produce the persona that is bazzz

bazzz - I love you really - your scathing wit and sarcasm are offered equally to all, without favour and forethought ps, can you babysit on Saturday?
Old Jul 14th 2008, 8:32 pm

Originally Posted by ann m
ps, can you babysit on Saturday?
Sure. Will you pay for my coke and whores?
Old Jul 14th 2008, 8:32 pm

moondevil will become famous soon enoughmoondevil will become famous soon enough

Do they have to eat what's available at school? Can't you give them a packed lunch?

I hate kids, so I certainly hope there aren't any lurking in the background waiting to give me a nasty shock.
you shock

Don't you think that would be the other way around.

Last edited by moondevil; Jul 14th 2008 at 8:36 pm.
Old Jul 15th 2008, 4:19 am

Mrs Miggins is an unknown quantity at this point

Bazz you have to have a sex with a woman to have kids. So I'm pretty sure you are safe from any nasty shocks, self love just doesn't count.

Mrs M x
Old Jul 15th 2008, 7:06 am
BE Enthusiast

sinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond repute

Its a toy aint it?

I remember playing "war" as a kid, but Ive mostly avoided becoming a psycho as an adult.

Kids play what and how they want to play, regardless of the toy itself. Frankly I'm surprised kids want anything that ugly, but the other influences around them will make far more difference in the long run.

I seem to have resisted the dodgy crew cut and stubbly beard "action man" look, (not to mention the chiseled abs and pecs) so perhaps the effect of toys on kids is overstated?

We worried about the effect of "stick thin impossible figure barbie" on our daughters perception of what women should look like, but its ultimately pointless to resist, and thankfully they seem to have enough sense to be able to make a distinction between a toy and the real world, unlike some of the people here it seems.

I think that buying Brazt dolls for a young girl is as appropriate as dressing her in Playboy clothes and I think that the pressures are immense on young girls to be sexy at a very early age. Why else do we have anorexic 8 year olds?

You might be interested in this: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...self-harm.html
Old Jul 15th 2008, 8:16 am

moondevil will become famous soon enoughmoondevil will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by sinope
I think that buying Brazt dolls for a young girl is as appropriate as dressing her in Playboy clothes and I think that the pressures are immense on young girls to be sexy at a very early age. Why else do we have anorexic 8 year olds?

You might be interested in this: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...self-harm.html
This is down to parent choice, i let my child play with them, they are a toy
Like we had barbie growing up, did i turn out as a barbie

- no

To much is put on kids to grow up, its a toy and the end of the day the clothes that your kids wear are bought by the parent, there is mini tarty clothes out there, but thankfully my daughter is wise enough to wear decent clothes
There is thongs for 10yrs olds, bras, mini mini skirts etc etc
although my daughter has played bratz for a couple of years now she knows that this is a TOY and not real life.

Would you let your daughter play with a doll and pram ????
But surely if you allow her to do this then you are accepting her to be a single mum

Kids will be kids
Old Jul 15th 2008, 8:27 am

Cassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't have kids of my own yet but I am sure most girls are playing with these guys.

You can't walk anywhere in England without seeing something related to High School Musical
Attached Thumbnails Bratz dolls.  Hookers or harmless?-high-school-musical.jpg  
Old Jul 15th 2008, 10:06 am
BE Enthusiast

sinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moondevil
This is down to parent choice, i let my child play with them, they are a toy
Like we had barbie growing up, did i turn out as a barbie

- no

To much is put on kids to grow up, its a toy and the end of the day the clothes that your kids wear are bought by the parent, there is mini tarty clothes out there, but thankfully my daughter is wise enough to wear decent clothes
There is thongs for 10yrs olds, bras, mini mini skirts etc etc
although my daughter has played bratz for a couple of years now she knows that this is a TOY and not real life.

Would you let your daughter play with a doll and pram ????
But surely if you allow her to do this then you are accepting her to be a single mum

Kids will be kids

I think that Brazt dolls are part of the pressure put onto young girls to grow up too quickly; from role models like Jordan, to seeing pole dancing or becoming a WAG as a valid career choice, to only wearing pink, to playboy brand pencil cases, it is all about how you look and the brands that you have, which should be the least important things.

And actually I hate gender-specific toys so no, my daughter doesn't have a pram or a dolly (though it is nothing to do with whether she grows up to be a single mother), and I get no end of comments from people who think she is strange because her favourite colour is blue.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.