Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

booking flights home whilst in canada

booking flights home whilst in canada

Old Apr 10th 2009, 2:02 pm
Forum Regular

glenn wilson is a jewel in the roughglenn wilson is a jewel in the roughglenn wilson is a jewel in the roughglenn wilson is a jewel in the roughglenn wilson is a jewel in the rough
Default booking flights home whilst in canada

Hi, I think this topic has been covered before but I just need to ask a quick question....When family come over for say...3 months can they buy return flights to the UK over here or will they have to show that they have already flights booked to return home.?Will they get any hassle at customs if they dont have returns. The reason being there is no actual plans on timescale of their stay...
Old Apr 10th 2009, 2:28 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: booking flights home whilst in canada

Originally Posted by glenn wilson
Hi, I think this topic has been covered before but I just need to ask a quick question....When family come over for say...3 months can they buy return flights to the UK over here or will they have to show that they have already flights booked to return home.?Will they get any hassle at customs if they dont have returns. The reason being there is no actual plans on timescale of their stay...
They should consider having open return tickets and book the return date when you have it figured out. The airline may not let them board without a return ticket, unless they have a legal right of residency in Canada (not visitors only). Once at immigration in Canada they may or may not let them in, it will be up to the immigration officer at the time. It is a crap shoot, they may get through no problems, on the other hand they may not even get out of the UK. No way of knowing for sure until they try. For me it would be way too chancy, and a waste of money if they were refused boarding and lost the outbound ticket.
Old Apr 10th 2009, 2:31 pm
Forum Regular

glenn wilson is a jewel in the roughglenn wilson is a jewel in the roughglenn wilson is a jewel in the roughglenn wilson is a jewel in the roughglenn wilson is a jewel in the rough

Thanks....was thinking the same thing but I hear different stories all the time..
Old Apr 10th 2009, 4:53 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by glenn wilson
Thanks....was thinking the same thing but I hear different stories all the time..
No definitive answer, that's the problem. A one way without residency is a gamble. For peace of mind an open return would probable be better option.
Old Apr 10th 2009, 10:57 pm
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

My ma n pa came thru on one way tickets - no queries, and then booked flights back when here!