BMI....

Old Oct 29th 2008, 2:40 pm
Forum Regular

niksagkram has a brilliant futureniksagkram has a brilliant futureniksagkram has a brilliant futureniksagkram has a brilliant futureniksagkram has a brilliant futureniksagkram has a brilliant future
Default BMI....

Just read this on the BBC this morning.....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7697261.stm

Mark
Old Oct 29th 2008, 3:29 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: BMI....

Originally Posted by niksagkram
Just read this on the BBC this morning.....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7697261.stm

Mark
I can't see it making much difference for travellers to Canada. Lufthansa, BMI and Air Canada are already part of the Star Alliance and code share.
Old Oct 30th 2008, 2:27 pm
Forum Regular

bgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BMI....

If anyone happens to have miles on the bmi Diamond Club FF program, they might want to think about using them before Lufthansa's Miles and More (aka 'miles and less') subsumes it - consensus on freq flyer boards seems to be any miles accumulated will be worth less on future redemptions.

Anyone looking to move soon - you might be interested to know MBNA do an affinity card with bmi (think it's now AmEx, was MasterCard when I joined) that will give you 20,000 miles if you spend 250 quid on the card in the first 3 months. Sign up to bmi first (there are usually joining bonuses kicking around worth 3-5,000 miles) and you're sitting on a nice stash from the off.

If, like us, you end up selling your car a couple of weeks before the move, rent with Hertz and get 1,500 miles per rental (1,700 if you do it via the link on the bmi website). A bit of research and timing will help you max out the number of rentals for the same price (or, in our case, a bit less!) than a 2 week hire! (tip: weekend rates can be insanely cheap - and can go Thurs-Mon/Tue IIRC, look at a 2-day hire if you really need one midweek). Did the same a when we arrived in Hamilton, too

Hotel stays (maybe at the airport before/after your flight?). Book via the bmi site (it's a rebadged expedia partner site) and you're looking at 500-1000 miles for 3-5* hotels, alternately hilton/radisson/etc offer similar if you make a regular booking (expedia web special rates dont always apply, YMMV).

You can use a combination of cash and miles when redeeming miles for flights, and can book one-way tickets at a pro-rata rate (rare for FF programs!). This is how I ended up booking my one-way flight to Canada for a much better price than I could any other way...

(you can also book a redemption flight up to 330 days before departure, and change fee is 25 quid - so you *might* want to look at maxing out the potential for free miles, and getting your one-way flight at a better price. especially if you're looking to move in high season... oh, you can also buy up to 20k miles to add to your account, and you can buy the same for your partner/friend - up to 100k miles into each account..)

Nobody's sure when the bmi FF program will close up and be replaced by M&M, but it seems the earliest date will be mid-Jan. But that's still time to rack up some easy miles to make your emigration flight a lot cheaper!

Hope this might be useful to some of you!